Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At the start of AS, I picked to do biology, chemistry, physics and maths. The following summer, I realised that I want to do maths at university and so, at the start of A2 I dropped biology to pick up further maths. However, I will finish sixth form with only an AS in further maths, which kinda bums me out because a lot of the universities I originally wanted to apply to, such as Warick, UCL, Imperial, etc. want the whole A Level and I couldn't apply to them. I was wondering whether those kinda universities (ones that are pretty competitive) would be opposed to me completing the A level in a gap year, since that would count as doing my A levels over three years I guess? I'd probably try to sit something like STEP or AEA in my gap year too. Would I be disadvantaged if I completed the A level in my gap year? I'd only do it if I still stood a fair chance of getting into those kinda unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by selenacxoxo)
    At the start of AS, I picked to do biology, chemistry, physics and maths. The following summer, I realised that I want to do maths at university and so, at the start of A2 I dropped biology to pick up further maths. However, I will finish sixth form with only an AS in further maths, which kinda bums me out because a lot of the universities I originally wanted to apply to, such as Warick, UCL, Imperial, etc. want the whole A Level and I couldn't apply to them. I was wondering whether those kinda universities (ones that are pretty competitive) would be opposed to me completing the A level in a gap year, since that would count as doing my A levels over three years I guess? I'd probably try to sit something like STEP or AEA in my gap year too. Would I be disadvantaged if I completed the A level in my gap year? I'd only do it if I still stood a fair chance of getting into those kinda unis.
    For Maths no you won't. Only very few unis ask for a full Further Maths A-level. If your target is Warwick, UCL, Bath then you'll have to sit STEP as it's part of the entry requirements (Imperial asks for MAT, as well as Oxford but they can also make an offer for STEP).

Other than that, doing a gap year won't put you at a disadvantage (a lot of applicants are doing this). I did an extra year and sat my full Further Maths A-level, practiced for STEP and do not regret it. In fact, my knowledge in Maths has broaden, and if I had went to uni a year earlier I'd struggle even more and wouldn't be able to understand anything.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh okay, thanks for answering 😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.