Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of buying a new phone and the s7 edge is one of the best phones on the market. However, a lot of people say it breaks easily due to its exposed edges. If this is the case, I might buy an iPhone or the regular S7. Anybody here have the S7 edge and can give me some feedback?

ReputationRep:
    My friend has it, and any decent case will protect those edges. The edge really has no big difference apart from looking nice, and the small slide option which shows a list of things on the side of the screen for 'ease-of'access' - nothing special.

Depends on whether you're willing to spend that extra dosh on a curved piece of glass.

*Defo get a tempered glass screen protector - if shattered, the glass cover cracks and so the screen underneath stays intact.*

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...one-6s-1315443
    http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile...illing-it-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainyBengali)
    My friend has it, and any decent case will protect those edges. The edge really has no big difference apart from looking nice, and the small slide option which shows a list of things on the side of the screen for 'ease-of'access' - nothing special.

Depends on whether you're willing to spend that extra dosh on a curved piece of glass.

*Defo get a tempered glass screen protector - if shattered, the glass cover cracks and so the screen underneath stays intact.*

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...one-6s-1315443
    http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobile...illing-it-2016
    Yeah a case will be essential in that case, along with a screen protector. Thanks for the advice dude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibbyyyyy)
    Thanks for the advice dude
    :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibbyyyyy)
    I am thinking of buying a new phone and the s7 edge is one of the best phones on the market. However, a lot of people say it breaks easily due to its exposed edges. If this is the case, I might buy an iPhone or the regular S7. Anybody here have the S7 edge and can give me some feedback?
    I don't personally have this phone but my brother does and likes it a lot. It looks really good and with a good screen protector and case will probs be fine. Unless you get a 7 (crap anyway) which is waterproof, I wouldn't get an iPhone over a Samsung. I had mine (6s) for a week, dropped it in water and now it's ruined and can't be fixed, so that's like 300£ down the drain, and I know that the Samsung is waterproof, so yeah I would go with that definitely.

ReputationRep:
    I went with a regular S7 over the edge for several reasons. 1. It's cheaper. 2. I just don't get curved edges, seems like a novelty and it doesn't feel more functional. 3. Higher DPI on the S7 and I use mine in a Gear VR. It's probably barely noticeable but still.

ReputationRep:
    S7 Edge actually has a larger battery (3000 mAh vs 3,600 mAh) so if battery is a concern, it would be the edge for you. Otherwise they're both brilliant phones.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    The S7 Edge is, in my opinion, the best Android smartphone ever made. It's an excellent phone (the S7, being extremely similar or identical in most areas, is also excellent but it's the design of the Edge that tips it over for me). With regards to breakage, it's a simple fact that if your phone has glass edges and you drop it on the edge, it's more likely to crack the glass. This isn't a fault with the S7 Edge, it's just physics. If that worries you then the vanilla S7 is obviously the better choice for you, but then again if you're worried enough about dropping your phone as to let it dictate your buying choices, perhaps you shouldn't buy such an expensive phone in the first place? Maybe buy something like a OnePlus 3T, which is also excellent but a decent chunk cheaper, and use the rest of cash to insure it for a couple of years.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I went with the Edge version because:
    a) I preferred the rounded screen and the edge tasks thing - it is a novelty thing but it works nicely for what I need.
    b) The bigger battery - 3600mAh vs 3000mAh - will make quite a difference in regards to battery life. And the battery life does indeed seem to be very good.
    c) The reviews of the Edge version seemed to sway me towards getting the Edge instead of the standard S7.

I thoroughly recommend the S7 Edge - get it over the standard S7. If you're going to get an iPhone then the most recent one that I could recommend is the 6S (or 6S Plus) - the 7 is a complete waste and not worth anything as you can't even plug a standard pair of headphones into it. (My old Galaxy Ace Plus and Galaxy S4 are better than the iPhone 7 in that respect.)

ReputationRep:
    New flagships are around the corner. I think your should wait

ReputationRep:
    Overall I would say that it is, yes- I work in a phone shop and can say by far that I haven't seen anybody come back with any issues, iPhone has issues everyday.
    Beautiful and sleek, I'd say yes! Good software too!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.