Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in the first year of a level, doing physics maths and chemistry.

So since September till now, I didn't make notes for particle physics and mechanics. I made them but I saw them unceessary as they just needed memorisation or a need of understanding like mechanics. But recently my class started waves and quantum phenomena, so should I make notes for them or is it a matter of understanding like particles and mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARK_REVISES)
    I am in the first year of a level, doing physics maths and chemistry.

So since September till now, I didn't make notes for particle physics and mechanics. I made them but I saw them unceessary as they just needed memorisation or a need of understanding like mechanics. But recently my class started waves and quantum phenomena, so should I make notes for them or is it a matter of understanding like particles and mechanics.
    Heyy I do the same subjects as you. I think reading the textbook should make your understanding clearer I believe notes are just a waste of time. Better to buy some revision guide. Btw what board are you doing. And how did you reach Waves, we are still on electricity. Did you skip some chapters?

ReputationRep:
    Make notes on particle physics. You need to remember the Feynman diagrams, quark structures, etc and it'll be easier if you wrote them down. Do the same for the Quantum phenomena.

Mechanics...meh. It's basically mostly calculations, so I'd just do past paper questions on them instead.

Waves is weird one, it's easy to remember most of them but there are a few hurdles, but I'd do past paper questions on them as well.

Electricity, I struggled hugely with it. Especially all the EMF stuff. I'd make notes on that too, but it's like mechanics, mainly just calculations.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend making notes on everything. If you intend to carry Physics to the second year, I can only assume you will need all the AS content, so having some good notes would help.

I have no notes for my first year (I was one hell of an idiot) and I rely on the textbook. To be honest, it's not that bad, so you could do that route too. I could recommend a book that would last you two years and would go beyond (slightly) the average syllabus if you'd like :P

ReputationRep:
    im also doing first year physics A-level. what i've done is bought all the endorsed books and made notes on each topic combining the material from each one (as individually, each book may miss something out or may just not go into much detail). i typed up my notes and will convert them to flashcards for revision. I don't like just reading the book because it is hard to know if you actually know the material - flashcards just make it easier to test yourself on everything.

ReputationRep:
    You should make concise notes on content that you need , the books contain too much BS for you to just read.

you should:
    -make notes ( using spec)
    -revise content and make sure you can recall everything without the use of your notes
    -Past papers for exam technique and also to FILL gaps in your knowledge
    -last thing , when you recall it , if you cant explain it to yourself simply , than you don't know it well enough , you should be able to explain all topics in the smallest amount of detail , to ensure you have a good understanding of your physics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.