Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I started in my first role after uni within the public sector, I applied for a generic support role and I have found myself in procurement earning close to £30K with great holidays and flexi. I have been in the role for a year. The thing is I hate the role, I am not commercially minded and find it all very very boring. I have no business interest what so ever!

I have to stay in the role for a min of 2 years then I can move on within the department. The thing is there are lots of other sections which sound hugely interesting. Do I stick at it and look to move on after another year to another area of the department?

The thing is I just hate the role I am doing currently, while I have been told in a couple of years I could get promoted in the area I hate, I would rather shift right and do something more interesting without the commercial edge which I hate. Far to many meetings talking about strategy, supplier performance etc. I want a role which is delivering something!

ReputationRep:
    I'm no expert so I can only speak for myself. Whenever I'm at a cross road it usually boils down to some sort of fear. Fear of making the wrong decision and fear of regret. It's a negative emotion and one that shouldn't come into the decision making process.

Embrace the uncertainty list the pros and cons, create a plan (always have a plan) and make a decision.

If you stay make sure it's because you decided to stay (pros and cons etc)and not because you just did nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.