Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best way to prepare for a Msc+PhD (4 year course) interview? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I have got an interview for this programme, I am interested to know what type of questions tend to be asked in these types of interviews and how best I can prepare?

I assume they will ask
    your knowledge on the subject? (thats a given)

why this course/university? (most probably)

I'm not sure what else they are going to ask? Any suggestions? Might they ask about my future plans after the course?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Definitely future plans yes. Maybe what projects or supervisors you're interested in, why a PhD and what you want to get out if it. Be prepared to ask questions too.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what subject/where you are applying for but I just had 2 1+3 PhD interviews (not a masters as such but have to attend taught courses and do 3 rotation projects in year 1) so I thought I'd share...

In both the interviews they mainly asked me about research I had done previously- asked me to explain it a little bit and the results I found, then a couple of technical questions about the methods I had used and what I would do next to further the research if I had unlimited resources. In one interview I was asked about why I wanted to a PhD but neither asked me about my future plans (though I had prepared an answer just in case because I think its a common question). I was also asked to tell them about a piece of research I found interesting.

Hope this helps...Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natas93)
    I don't know what subject/where you are applying for but I just had 2 1+3 PhD interviews (not a masters as such but have to attend taught courses and do 3 rotation projects in year 1) so I thought I'd share...

In both the interviews they mainly asked me about research I had done previously- asked me to explain it a little bit and the results I found, then a couple of technical questions about the methods I had used and what I would do next to further the research if I had unlimited resources. In one interview I was asked about why I wanted to a PhD but neither asked me about my future plans (though I had prepared an answer just in case because I think its a common question). I was also asked to tell them about a piece of research I found interesting.

Hope this helps...Good luck!!
    Thank you so very much for this reply! This is the kinda thing I am looking for!!

I only have a week to prep. :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.