Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got rejected from vet med from the RVC, my dream school.
    My interview went pretty well, not well enough though, apparently.
    It is a 6 year course, including the intercalated year so I don't want a gap year.
    I feel lost, and empty inside, and I know it sounds like overkill but I've been crying for the past several hours almost non stop?
    Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silver001)
    It is a 6 year course, including the intercalated year so I don't want a gap year.
    I feel lost, and empty inside, and I know it sounds like overkill but I've been crying for the past several hours almost non stop?
    Any advice?
    Hey you're not alone, I've been rejected from all my dream schools too. I know a gap year seems rubbish but I know that there's nothing I want to do besides med. So I'm going to give it a few more shots - I have nothing to lose. I think you should give it another go. Don't give up so easily, this is your dream - don't let the setback get to you.
    Hope you're okay, taking your life isn't the solution to your sadness. I promise. x
    • Very Important Poster

Any advice?
    Have you got feedback?
    Have you checked whether you can reapply? Iy will be happening to a lot of others. You have to deal with it. If it were possible and something I really wanted then I would be reapplying.

Looking at iit then its quite common for people to reapply, just like medicine. Have a rest to get over the shock then think about how you can go about improving the application.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'm very sorry to hear this. It must have been a shock to the system after you worked so hard and thought that it had gone well.

Have you got any other applications that you're yet to hear back from? Even if you don't, there's nothing at all wrong with taking a gap year and reapplying next year, a lot of vet students do that.

It may be possible to ask RVC for feedback, which will assist with your applications next time around.

Remember that VetMed is a very difficult course. Not everyone will get in first time around and that doesn't mean that they'll be any less of a vet when they finally make it into university. You did very well to even get to interview!

Any advice?
    If this is the case then I would please ask you to talk to somebody about how you feel so that they can help you. Unfortunately suicide is common in the veterinary community, so it is really advisable that you learn some coping mechanisms for when you feel overwhelmed. I appreciate that the stress of university applications is probably in addition to stress from school work and other sources, but I promise that there are people who care and who want to see you succeed. Please don't give up :console:

ReputationRep:
    Any advice?
    It happened to me, 2 times before I got my place at vet school so don't give up on everything, there's still hope.

I was 27 last week (oldie I know!) and I'll be 29 the year I graduate, but the point is I got here eventually and I never gave up! It's quite common for people to not get in first time round so don't feel lost, use it as a learning experience, you've now had experience at interviews which means you can hone in on your skills better and do even better at interviews in the future, I was much more confident the following application despite having rejections.

It's normal to feel disheartened when you get a rejection, I've had enough of them in my series of applications to vet schools but do not let it get you down, cry it off, pick yourself up and tell yourself you can do it, and try again. If you're really feeling down about it please speak to someone, the samaritans always have someone on hand to speak to and they can give you completely confidential advice and you can talk to someone about how you're feeling. Don't give up though, a lot of us have been there

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.