Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, everybody
    Today I received an email from a university regarding my application. The admission team asks me to send some files to my referee to provide predicted grades. Before I chose who my referee to be I read that if a teacher is one's referee "they can provide predicted grades". But I thought it was not necessary until now. And here comes the problem. My referee is not a teacher. I sent an email to the university asking them about the problem but I would like to hear your advice.
    Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hello, everybody Today I received an email from a university regarding my application. The admission team asks me to send some files to my referee to provide predicted grades. Before I chose who my referee to be I read that if a teacher is one's referee "they can provide predicted grades". But I thought it was not necessary until now. And here comes the problem. My referee is not a teacher. I sent an email to the university asking them about the problem but I would like to hear your advice. Thank you in advance!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Your referee can be anyone who is not a family member or friend and can comment on your ability to study your subject at uni. Unis still need predicted grades from a teacher in order to work out how likely you are to meet an offer they make and your academic standard.

PQ is that right?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Your referee can be anyone who is not a family member or friend and can comment on your ability to study your subject at uni. Unis still need predicted grades from a teacher in order to work out how likely you are to meet an offer they make and your academic standard.

PQ is that right?
    The OP isn't asking who can be there reference but about a specific request from a university for predicted grades. They need to wait for the university to answer their questions.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The OP isn't asking who can be there reference but about a specific request from a university for predicted grades. They need to wait for the university to answer their questions.
    Hmm I think we've understood the question differently. Maybe the OP will clarify if they don't have an answer soon.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Hmm I think we've understood the question differently. Maybe the OP will clarify if they don't have an answer soon.
    If the admissions team from a university are asking for predicted grades then that's either a direct application (and so needs to be answered by the university concerned) or it's a UCAS application with the university asking for further information (and again it's impossible for us to know what the university is asking for precisely - they need to clarify that directly with the university).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If the admissions team from a university are asking for predicted grades then that's either a direct application (and so needs to be answered by the university concerned) or it's a UCAS application with the university asking for further information (and again it's impossible for us to know what the university is asking for precisely - they need to clarify that directly with the university).
    Thank you all for you quick response!

I applied through UCAS as individual and my referee is not a teacher but the university wants me to send some files to my referee to complete them. As they are not a teacher is it possible to send these files to one of my teachers even though they are not my referee? Is it a problem if my referee and the teacher who provided predicted grades are 2 different people?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yavoredipov)
    Thank you all for you quick response!

I applied through UCAS as individual and my referee is not a teacher but the university wants me to send some files to my referee to complete them. As they are not a teacher is it possible to send these files to one of my teachers even though they are not my referee? Is it a problem if my referee and the teacher who provided predicted grades are 2 different people?
    You need to ask the university concerned to answer this question - only they can say what they will consider acceptable.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I don't think your referee and teacher have to be the same person but as PQ says check with the uni.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Hello, everybody
    Today I received an email from a university regarding my application. The admission team asks me to send some files to my referee to provide predicted grades. Before I chose who my referee to be I read that if a teacher is one's referee "they can provide predicted grades". But I thought it was not necessary until now. And here comes the problem. My referee is not a teacher. I sent an email to the university asking them about the problem but I would like to hear your advice.
    Thank you in advance!
    are you home schooled and who is your referee?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    are you home schooled and who is your referee?
    No, I am not home schooled. I study in High School of Mathematics and Science in my hometown. As part of an Interact Club I chose my referee to be the Mentor of our Interact Club. The reason for my choice is that the teachers in my school aren't used to writing a reference for universities abroad. Furthermore, I feel like they don't really know us, the students, apart from school - what we are like individuals.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    No, I am not home schooled. I study in High School of Mathematics and Science in my hometown. As part of an Interact Club I chose my referee to be the Mentor of our Interact Club. The reason for my choice is that the teachers in my school aren't used to writing a reference for universities abroad. Furthermore, I feel like they don't really know us, the students, apart from school - what we are like individuals.
    Ideally a referee usually talks about your academics and ability to study at university more than anything else.
    Predicted grades are a normal expectation for uk universities as part of our application. I think you'll have to wait for them to get back to you, but you might have to ask your teachers for grades and then get your referee to pass them on to the universities.

ReputationRep:
    Ideally a referee usually talks about your academics and ability to study at university more than anything else.
    Predicted grades are a normal expectation for uk universities as part of our application. I think you'll have to wait for them to get back to you, but you might have to ask your teachers for grades and then get your referee to pass them on to the universities.
    Thank you for your response!

I am waiting for response from the university regarding this question. Meanwhile, I will talk to one of my teachers to have my predicted grades form prepared.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your response!

I am waiting for response from the university regarding this question. Meanwhile, I will talk to one of my teachers to have my predicted grades form prepared.
    i'd suggest calling them on monday instead of waiting for an email but i imagine that would be an expensive phone call to make.

ReputationRep:
    i'd suggest calling them on monday instead of waiting for an email but i imagine that would be an expensive phone call to make.
    This was my plan. I sent my email this morning and if they don't respond until Monday I will call them on Tuesday. I expect it to be expensive since I am from Bulgaria but we are talking about education.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.