Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have got an offer from Edinburgh for Philosophy Master degree as an undergraduate course, the same from Bristol and Durham except that they are bachelors degree, and still waiting to hear from St Andrews for Master and UCL for Bachelor.

I want to know a reputation Edinburgh has for Philosophy degree. Like compared to these universities and others abroad perhaps, is Edinburgh a respected university especially when it is down to Philosophy degree?

ReputationRep:
    Fellow undergrad offer holder here! I'm not applying for philosophy, but may take a module or two.

Some of the best philosophers went there. I can't speak for undergrad teaching, but in terms of research and the fame associated with it, Edinburgh is really prestigious for your course globally. So its strength should trickle down to undergrads too. It is housed in the School of PPLS, which again is a fab place.
    I'd say it's a close call among UCL, Edinburgh and St. Andrews. Then Durham perhaps. At least as an international student, overall rep of the uni matters a lot too. All three seem to have a good amount of flexibility in terms of choosing modules. Still, you should also check out their respective course structure (Edinburgh's module list).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamuelLee)
    I have got an offer from Edinburgh for Philosophy Master degree as an undergraduate course, the same from Bristol and Durham except that they are bachelors degree, and still waiting to hear from St Andrews for Master and UCL for Bachelor.

I want to know a reputation Edinburgh has for Philosophy degree. Like compared to these universities and others abroad perhaps, is Edinburgh a respected university especially when it is down to Philosophy degree?
    According to the UniRanks World University Ranking*, Edinburgh is 27th in the world and 6th in Europe. Not to mention it's the 6th oldest English-speaking University in the world and 9th most difficult Uni to get into in the UK. Put simply, outside Oxbridge/LSE/UCL it's arguably the best in the UK.

*results of the five most influential university rankings: THE World University Ranking, QS World University Ranking, US News Best Global University, Shanghai ARWU Ranking, and Reuters World Top 100 Innovative Universities.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.