The Student Room Group

What social class are you?

I am from a middle class family.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Middle class with upper middle class influence (but not money).
Working class (gave up my job last year though. I'm not cut out for this :biggrin:)
Reply 4
Born a member of the feral, tracksuit wearing underclass. Although uni students are probably middle class by default so we'll say that.
Lower middle, the most reviled of all. Oh dear. A crazy paving patio. Gas-powered barbecue, it's changed our lives really. Sunday Express supplement on the nest of tables in a lounge with a coal effect gas fire. Magnolia anaglypta. Focus Estate and mum's Fiesta on the drive. Bottles of Cava. Loft conversions. Tickets for Starlight. He'll want a sticky bun at Reading Services. Dreams of a double garage. Snubbing Spain for the Algarve, well it's nice to be different. Lunches at the Carvery: a salad cart with four kinds of dressing. Orange squash and a viscount biscuit. You must see the avocado en suite we've had put in the master.

There was a time when I was silly enough to find all of this only mortifying. What a snotty ****.
Reply 6
Upper middle class.
Uh...upper-ish
Reply 8
Reply 9
Upper.
Question do you all you uppers up there go to private schools?
Reply 11
Original post by prazzyjazzy
Uh...upper-ish

What do you consider "upper-ish"?

Original post by 27FT

Well, private education is an important aspect to determine if someone is upper or upper middle class, although it may not be a sine qua non condition.
(edited 7 years ago)
Tory elite. :h:

Spoiler

Original post by usualsuspects
What do you consider "upper-ish"?

Well, private education is an important aspect to determinate if someone is upper or upper middle class, although it may not be a sine qua non condition.

hmm. Well my father has a pretty good job but I go to a state school so I'm probably just middle class :smile:
I really have no idea what I'd class myself as tbh.
Honestly don't know but middle I'm guessing
Original post by cambio wechsel
Lower middle, the most reviled of all. Oh dear. A crazy paving patio. Gas-powered barbecue, it's changed our lives really. Sunday Express supplement on the nest of tables in a lounge with a coal effect gas fire. Magnolia anaglypta. Focus Estate and mum's Fiesta on the drive. Bottles of Cava. Loft conversions. Tickets for Starlight. He'll want a sticky bun at Reading Services. Dreams of a double garage. Snubbing Spain for the Algarve, well it's nice to be different. Lunches at the Carvery: a salad cart with four kinds of dressing. Orange squash and a viscount biscuit. You must see the avocado en suite we've had put in the master.
There was a time when I was silly enough to find all of this only mortifying. What a snotty ****.

:adore: My husband's family are lower middle class. He escaped because of Kent's grammar school system, which was how he ended up at Cambridge. His accent is entirely different to that of everyone else in the family. We're living with his grandparents now while we both write up. It is an adjustment for me. They are more financially secure than my parents ever were, but their lifestyle and consumption habits suggest the opposite :smile: I'm a sociologist, so I have a field day. Of sorts. You know, you should read Bourdieu's research on the "suffering of the petit bourgeois" :love: (hope that link works :erm:)

Original post by 27FT

Aimed at people in this thread or lurkers/future posters? I'm the only 'up-ish' person who posted, I think. I went to a private school for primary when we lived in South Africa. That was very different though, as mainstream education has so many more challenges than the British system does. Also I think fees were not prohibitive, and there were no cultural elements that TSRers would associate with private schools. It was religious, and conservative in the 'stand when the teacher arrives and always address them by their title' way. They used corporal punishment until I was 9. I was paddled a few times because I'm a stubborn and outspoken so and so :hmpf: :hmpf: But no accents or cultural differences, or old buildings... For secondary school I taught myself via distance learning. And I did A levels in a chavvy FE college in a dodgy part of Hampshire.... couldn't afford to bus or train it to Queen Mary's in Basingstoke or Peter Symmonds in Winchester :no:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Paralove
I really have no idea what I'd class myself as tbh.

Original post by retro_turtles
Honestly don't know but middle I'm guessing

I need to create one of those buzzfeed style tests :holmes: I can't wait for this ruddy thesis to be done so I can waste time :angel:
i suppose im lowwr middle class. Though i was born working class
Reply 19
Original post by Craghyrax
:adore: My husband's family are lower middle class. He escaped because of Kent's grammar school system, which was how he ended up at Cambridge. His accent is entirely different to that of everyone else in the family. We're living with his grandparents now while we both write up. It is an adjustment for me. They are more financially secure than my parents ever were, but their lifestyle and consumption habits suggest the opposite :smile: I'm a sociologist, so I have a field day. Of sorts. You know, you should read Bourdieu's research on the "suffering of the petit bourgeois" :love: (hope that link works :erm:)

Aimed at people in this thread or lurkers/future posters? I'm the only 'up-ish' person who posted, I think. I went to a private school for primary when we lived in South Africa. That was very different though, as mainstream education has so many more challenges than the British system does. Also I think fees were not prohibitive, and there were no cultural elements that TSRers would associate with private schools. It was religious, and conservative in the 'stand when the teacher arrives and always address them by their title' way. They used corporal punishment until I was 9. I was paddled a few times because I'm a stubborn and outspoken so and so :hmpf: :hmpf: But no accents or cultural differences, or old buildings... For secondary school I taught myself via distance learning. And I did A levels in a chavvy FE college in a dodgy part of Hampshire.... couldn't afford to bus or train it to Queen Mary's in Basingstoke or Peter Symmonds in Winchester :no:

I think 27FT was referring to the 3 posters above him. Unless "upper-ish" is an expedient to say you are upper class without seeming snobbish, there is no such thing: if you are near to upper but not actually aristocracy (and maybe top CEOs/politicians who come from at least UMC families), you are upper middle class. In the U.K. class system. I think.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest