Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What social class are you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    :adore:My husband's family are lower middle class. He escaped because of Kent's grammar school system, which was how he ended up at Cambridge. His accent is entirely different to that of everyone else in the family. We're living with his grandparents now while we both write up. It is an adjustment for me. They are more financially secure than my parents ever were, but their lifestyle and consumption habits suggest the opposite I'm a sociologist, so I have a field day. Of sorts. You know, you should read Bourdieu's research on the "suffering of the petit bourgeois" :love: (hope that link works :erm:)

Aimed at people in this thread or lurkers/future posters? I'm the only 'up-ish' person who posted, I think. I went to a private school for primary when we lived in South Africa. That was very different though, as mainstream education has so many more challenges than the British system does. Also I think fees were not prohibitive, and there were no cultural elements that TSRers would associate with private schools. It was religious, and conservative in the 'stand when the teacher arrives and always address them by their title' way. They used corporal punishment until I was 9. I was paddled a few times because I'm a stubborn and outspoken so and so :hmpf::hmpf: But no accents or cultural differences, or old buildings... For secondary school I taught myself via distance learning. And I did A levels in a chavvy FE college in a dodgy part of Hampshire.... couldn't afford to bus or train it to Queen Mary's in Basingstoke or Peter Symmonds in Winchester :no:
    I think 27FT was referring to the 3 posters above him. Unless "upper-ish" is an expedient to say you are upper class without seeming snobbish, there is no such thing: if you are near to upper but not actually aristocracy (and maybe top CEOs/politicians who come from at least UMC families), you are upper middle class. In the U.K. class system. I think.

ReputationRep:
    upper middle class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I need to create one of those buzzfeed style tests :holmes: I can't wait for this ruddy thesis to be done so I can waste time :angel:
    hahaha

Idk like I would not class myself as middle class or above, but equally don't identify with working class either. Didn't the BBC have a quiz with lots of different class types? And then you have the whole thing of I might now be classed as something different to my parents so... yeah who knows.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The BBC classes me as 'Established middle class'.

Spoiler:
    Show

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Lower middle, the most reviled of all. Oh dear. A crazy paving patio. Gas-powered barbecue, it's changed our lives really. Sunday Express supplement on the nest of tables in a lounge with a coal effect gas fire. Magnolia anaglypta. Focus Estate and mum's Fiesta on the drive. Bottles of Cava. Loft conversions. Tickets for Starlight. He'll want a sticky bun at Reading Services. Dreams of a double garage. Snubbing Spain for the Algarve, well it's nice to be different. Lunches at the Carvery: a salad cart with four kinds of dressing. Orange squash and a viscount biscuit. You must see the avocado en suite we've had put in the master.

There was a time when I was silly enough to find all of this only mortifying. What a snotty ****.
    Just about stopped laughing at this...'he'll want a sticky bun at Reading Services' :rofl:

Dreams of a double garage indeed, but at least we had that block paving done. Did you hear that Margaret and Ken have bought a timeshare in Estepona? I don't know how they manage it?

ReputationRep:
    We going by profession? Income? House/area?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    We going by profession? Income? House/area?
    Try this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

ReputationRep:
    I got elite. Not sure what to make of that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    (:adore: we are not worthy, etc. )

I think take the quiz with a pinch of salt because it can't take into account every determining factor of what class you are, but it's certainly interesting!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Mum's family is working class but my dad's family is solidly middle class. I'm a bit of a mongrel, don’t really fit into either category. I grew up in a single-parent low income household, although a strict Catholic school and spending summers in France with my grandparents has rubbed off on me, I don't feel (or sound) working class at all.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't class myself as any of them. It's a 19th century idea that isn't relevant today.

The traditional working class has been eroded and has merged with the middle class. Similarly, what does upper class mean today? Families who claim to be upper class are doing so from their ancestry and family history which is interesting but doesn't hold much weight in today's society. They are not a distinct class. Especially among young people, they are not separate from "new money" people.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be at privte school, then chose to go state. My mum tried to persuade my twin to go private but se wanted te local school.... sooooo not always a good measure! BTW, my dad went to public boarding school (terribly posh) so yahhh
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    What do you consider "upper-ish"?

Well, private education is an important aspect to determine if someone is upper or upper middle class, although it may not be a sine qua non condition.

ReputationRep:
    initially under class, but would say working class atm

ReputationRep:
    My mum's family are working class, but she went to UCL, was head finance thingy at a FTSE 250 and says 'schoooool'. Dad went to a terribly posh boarding school, secret Tory but hates snobbyness and into indie music really. I've mixed state and private schools, though i prefer the former. We are of the 'pony classes' as have had horses for year, sister competes nationally. So really i have no clue!

ReputationRep:
    working class sadly. i hate it i want to be middle class as im fairly sure there are a LOT less scum (like everyone in essex) in middle class.

thats if my definitions of classes are correct of course which they almost certainly arent. someone mind telling me the differences?

ReputationRep:
    Money- Upper middle
    Assets-Lower upper
    Social-Upper middle
    Personality-Upper middle

ReputationRep:
    So did I . Are we bad people?

ReputationRep:
    Survey must be bust. You're a hairy biochemistry postdoc in Dundee. I can't change my fixed impressions this late in the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    So did I . Are we bad people?
    I got elite too, but I prefer the traditional classification.

ReputationRep:
    my family were working class and mega poor when I was born. Think they're middle class now. My parents are retiring and buying a big house in the countryside in a couple years. (they have no mortgage too).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.