Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What social class are you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    "Established Middle Class" apparently

ReputationRep:
    if we're basing that from the bbc article... then i take my post back.... i'm elite....

ReputationRep:
    Uhhh... let's say middle?

ReputationRep:
    Lower class... been living on the dole my whole life (until I go to Uni)
    Emergent Service worker according to BBC.
    Financially insecure, scoring low for savings and house value

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toasticide)
    working class sadly. i hate it i want to be middle class as im fairly sure there are a LOT less scum (like everyone in essex) in middle class.

thats if my definitions of classes are correct of course which they almost certainly arent. someone mind telling me the differences?
    Woah, I live in Essex...

ReputationRep:
    I tried this from my parents' point of view (as obvs currently a student so things like housing + income don't count), it came up with established middle class -

• Enjoy a diverse range of cultural activities
    • Went to university
    • Are comfortably off, secure and established

For cultural activities, it's been going down the football, or to a concert every now and then at most, never to museums or the theatre (I've never even seen a pantomime) etc, both left education at 16, and though they're not struggling, I wouldn't say comfortably off either nor established.

So... I don't think this is particularly accurate lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paralove)
    (I've never even seen a pantomime)
    it's behind you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    What do you consider "upper-ish"?

Well, private education is an important aspect to determine if someone is upper or upper middle class, although it may not be a sine qua non condition.
    Upper, but not stable. We've hit hard times.

ReputationRep:
    Elite

ReputationRep:
    What do you consider "upper-ish"?

Well, private education is an important aspect to determine if someone is upper or upper middle class, although it may not be a sine qua non condition.
    Ok- so I went to private school and grammar school (obvs not at the same time) so idek what that counts as...

I wouldn't consider myself "posh" (not that upper and posh are necessarily interchangeable in meaning), hence the "ish"... also my parents came from like lower class/working class backgrounds so idk.

By family income and all that stuff I would be upper, but I feel upper middle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Working class and proud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eehaj)
    Ok- so I went to private school and grammar school (obvs not at the same time) so idek what that counts as... I wouldn't consider myself "posh" (not that upper and posh are necessarily interchangeable in meaning), hence the "ish"... also my parents came from like lower class/working class backgrounds so idk. By family income and all that stuff I would be upper, but I feel upper middle. Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's probably upper-middle, since "upper" for most people is the sole aristocracy, with some exceptions (maybe). I think that there might be some abuse of the term "upper class" in this thread. "Upper-middle" for me has a wide meaning, it's significantly distinct from "middle" and definitely includes high earners, old money and people considered "rich".

ReputationRep:
    Um... I'm from Essex but although I'm traditionally lower middle I got into a very middle class grammar school. Yes, we have more than our fair share of scum types, but we're not all like that.

ReputationRep:
    That's probably upper-middle, since "upper" for most people is the sole aristocracy, with some exceptions (maybe). I think that there might be some abuse of the term "upper class" in this thread. "Upper-middle" for me has a wide meaning, it's significantly distinct from "middle" and definitely includes high earners, old money and people considered "rich".
    Yeah, I agree

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.