Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to be an architecture student in September and I'm looking into buying a laptop as I'll most likely be living at home and commuting to uni.
    The stats I've found recommended for architecture student's work (with Revit, CAD etc as well as personal use) include having an i7 processor of 2.5GHz+, 12GB+ RAM, a good amount of physical memory (though I do have a 1tb external hard drive), a good 1GB+ graphics card, and a large-ish screen (I'll also be looking to set up a dual screen when at home)
    However, all the specifically suggested laptops are well above £1000. Looking to spend more around the £800-£900ish mark, I've found some laptops that seem to fit the stats, but I was wondering if there's any reason these wouldn't be of a good enough standard?

They are: ASUS K501UX, ASUS K556UQ, ASUS X556UA, Dell Inspiron 15 7000.

Would these be good enough to meet an architecture student's needs? And are there any good alternatives available at a similar price?!
    It'd be great to get some advice as it's a lot to spend on something that wouldn't be good enough one year in or something!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docxLAPTOP COMPARISON.docx (13.7 KB, 25 views)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.