Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, with A level exams 5 months away, I'm trying to make a timetable.
    I want to incorporate time to purely past papers. Yes I understand that it's a new spec but the questions still get recycled - it's just that wording and the presentation that's different - I think 😂

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can recommend the best time to do past papers e.g. 2 weeks before hand, 2 days before etc prior the exams

Thank youuuu!

ReputationRep:
    Omg don't do papers 2 days before exams!!! I'm sure you want an A so my advice to you would be don't stress about completing an entire exam paper yet, just focus on finding exam style questions on each topic. That way when you come to doing past paper 3-4 months prior to exams you will already be familiar with the style of questions and you'd be able to understand exactly what the questions are really testing you for. Good luck to you

ReputationRep:
    think now. and ask your teachers common ways they try to catch oyu out

ReputationRep:
    Well I've been doing past paper questions for Politics from the start, I'm starting to do whole past papers for Economics paper 1, C3 and M1. In April I'll be doing past papers for C4, eco 2&3, politics 3&4.. so try and do it at the end or during a unit deleting on the paper format.

ReputationRep:
    I started with them from around the Easter hols. Then you can see what you need to focus on revising, revise it, and go back to the past papers and see where your strengths are.

Depending on your subject, you might find it good to start with working through it with a mark scheme at hand, but gradually get to not having one and only using it at the end - this worked particularly well for me for maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jas1947)
    Omg don't do papers 2 days before exams!!! I'm sure you want an A so my advice to you would be don't stress about completing an entire exam paper yet, just focus on finding exam style questions on each topic. That way when you come to doing past paper 3-4 months prior to exams you will already be familiar with the style of questions and you'd be able to understand exactly what the questions are really testing you for. Good luck to you
    Thank you so much for the advice! Dw, I won't do 2 days before hand, it was just a stupid suggestion haha
    But I should do that although it might be a little difficult to be familiar with the style of the questions due to Linear A levels 😓

Again, thank you though
    Good luck with whatever you're doing too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LisaNikita)
    think now. and ask your teachers common ways they try to catch oyu out
    That's a great suggestion! Would never have thought to do that. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paralove)
    I started with them from around the Easter hols. Then you can see what you need to focus on revising, revise it, and go back to the past papers and see where your strengths are.

Depending on your subject, you might find it good to start with working through it with a mark scheme at hand, but gradually get to not having one and only using it at the end - this worked particularly well for me for maths!

Thank you! I don't do maths but I do do ( :ahee: ) chemistry and as certain topics are maths heavy, I might try and do that during the Easter hols

:ahee::ahee:

ReputationRep:
    At least a month before your exams. Ideally you should be starting past papers, when you have finished the syllabus AND are confident with the content. For A2 assessments( they take place in June) April is the perfect time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legend15)
    At least a month before your exams. Ideally you should be starting past papers, when you have finished the syllabus AND are confident with the content. For A2 assessments( they take place in June) April is the perfect time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for that! I'll make sure that I'm already doing them a month in advance of the exams. When you said that it's best to start when I've finished the syllabus, should I try and get ahead of my classes because we are likely to finish the whole thing at least 2 weeks before the exams, if not, less?

ReputationRep:
    As soon as possible tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarshmallowStars)
    Thank you for that! I'll make sure that I'm already doing them a month in advance of the exams. When you said that it's best to start when I've finished the syllabus, should I try and get ahead of my classes because we are likely to finish the whole thing at least 2 weeks before the exams, if not, less?
    Yh, go ahead. IMO 2 weeks isn't enough. You're also going to be preparing for other assessments. So you'll end up having less than 2 weeks.But don't just whizz through the content just for the sake of finishing early. Taking your time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legend15)
    Yh, go ahead. IMO 2 weeks isn't enough. You're also going to be preparing for other assessments. So you'll end up having less than 2 weeks.But don't just whizz through the content just for the sake of finishing early. Taking your time

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh...good point
    I'll take that on board
    Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.