Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I have a question to anyone studying advertising at university, I'm not sure how to phrase this but how "skilled" do you have to be to do this degree? I consider myself quite creative but i can't for the life of me draw and my photoshop skills aren't that great either.

thank you for any responses !
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Laura_Amber)
    Hi guys,
    I have a question to anyone studying advertising at university, I'm not sure how to phrase this but how "skilled" do you have to be to do this degree? I consider myself quite creative but i can't for the life of me draw and my photoshop skills aren't that great either.

Advertising is not the same as graphic design - most courses will be about the marketing theory and practice of advertising campaigns - not about the skills of drawing/designing.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for clearing that up for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura_Amber)
    Hi guys,

Hi Laura,

I’m a first year doing Marketing (PR and Advertising) at Derby. I was also worried about not being able to draw but it’s not been an issue at all. We had one task to create a storyboard for a TV advert but we were able to use online software if we wanted to, and it wasn’t graded at all on people’s drawing skills, just the concepts and theories behind what we had done.

When it comes to photoshop, we are about the start a training course in using photoshop, so don’t worry about not being great at photoshop. If you’re assignments require you to use it, most universities should offer some form of training.

Hope this helps and let me know if there’s anything else!

Molly

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.