Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Better music: USA or UK? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which country is better?
    USA
    37.84%
    UK
    62.16%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Justice, Daft Punk and Air, what else has France given us

AND STROMAE :fan:
    and Indila

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    x
    Sounds like Kygo.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like Kygo.
    u asked 4it

his 90s remix at this point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOZLDQm9c2E is life <3

XOR_
    Indila is amazing! https://youtu.be/v-u0gIZ6F5g

ReputationRep:
    UK. The US only beats us when it comes to hip-hop and rap, but even then we're slowly catching up.
    Also just noticed I voted for the wrong option, oops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    u asked 4it

his 90s remix at this point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOZLDQm9c2E is life <3

XOR_
    Indila is amazing! https://youtu.be/v-u0gIZ6F5g
    :love:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Christine & The Queens, Justice, Daft Punk and Air, what else has France given us
    Alcest, Les Discrets, Amesoeurs, Peste Noire to name a few reasonably well known French bands. It must be coincidence, but those bands have had the same person in all of them at one point.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I listen to more UK based artists than US ones tbh.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd go for UK music. There are very few American bands I actually listen to compared to British bands, but Blondie, Midlake and Blind Melon are really good.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    :love:
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    UK. The US only beats us when it comes to hip-hop and rap, but even then we're slowly catching up.
    Also just noticed I voted for the wrong option, oops.
    What great hip hop artists do we have?

I use the word great, not popular or good. (Gorillaz don't count)

ReputationRep:

I use the word great, not popular or good.
    Never claimed we had great ones. Seems like you're just trying to bait me into an argument like on the other thread, so I'll stop here.

ReputationRep:

I use the word great, not popular or good. (Gorillaz don't count)
    Would you count MF DOOM and Slick Rick as Brits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Would you count MF DOOM and Slick Rick as Brits?
    Not really tbh, even though I discovered Doom through Gorillaz. You'd only know Doom was English if you had looked it up, no British sound at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Never claimed we had great ones. Seems like you're just trying to bait me into an argument like on the other thread, so I'll stop here.
    I'm not trying to argue, it's a discussion? People can have a civilized debate on this forum, you know? If you give an opinion, would be nice to have a bit of justification...since you didn't I just asked your opinion? Not trying to 'bait' you...

ReputationRep:
    Not really tbh, even though I discovered Doom through Gorillaz. You'd only know Doom was English if you had looked it up, no British sound at all.
    Fair enough. Well none then. I'd say Dizzee Rascal is probably the closest.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. Well none then. I'd say Dizzee Rascal is probably the closest.
    I would of gone for Roots Manuva tbh :dontknow:

I'm not a fan of Dizzee or Roots Manuva though. I associated Dizzee with grime/dance music more than hip hop. Akala?? I dunno. I listen to Mouse Outfit and a few niche record labels when it comes to british hip hop; i'm not massively clued up.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    UK all the way...

Lets quietly forget about Eurovision though
    Let's forget this monstrosity :eek:

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I admit I'm slightly biased towards the UK, because bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Queen completely changed my view of music when I was young, and I've been listening to metal and rock ever since. The USA does have many impressive bands though

ReputationRep:
    I would of gone for Roots Manuva tbh :dontknow:

I'm not a fan of Dizzee or Roots Manuva though. I associated Dizzee with grime/dance music more than hip hop. Akala?? I dunno. I listen to Mouse Outfit and a few niche record labels when it comes to british hip hop; i'm not massively clued up.
    I think in his case he can be considered both as he's done both. Dizzee's first two records are great and there is some Hip-Hop on both of them but then he ended up doing songs with Lily Allen and James Corden. Probably put out more bad stuff than good at this point.

Anyway since we're discussing good British Hip-Hop, no Robbie Williams' Rudebox na?

ReputationRep:
    I think in his case he can be considered both as he's done both. Dizzee's first two records are great and there is some Hip-Hop on both of them but then he ended up doing songs with Lily Allen and James Corden. Probably put out more bad stuff than good at this point.

Anyway since we're discussing good British Hip-Hop, no Robbie Williams' Rudebox na?
    He traumatized me as a child :afraid:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.