Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can friends with benefits work? Watch

Me and a close friend of mine were on a night out recently and ending up getting together, the same thing happened a few nights later so we've kinda decided on a friends with benefits situation as neither of us want a relationship, Can this actually work without ruining our friendship??

ReputationRep:
    I think it can as long as there are firm rules put down, and you communicate regularly about how things are going.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say because it depends on the people involved. Some people get jealous and there's usually one person who develops strong feelings for the other person and that's when things can go wrong.
    • Political Ambassador

If there aren't any feelings involved, yes.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it, one of you is bound to fall for the other over time.

ReputationRep:
    I am against this whole "friends with benefits" concept.
    I think you should only have sex with who you love and want to be with.
    It's much more special like that.
    Maybe it's because i'm a hopeless romantic.
    I am a guy by the way, straight and an atheist.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Maybe for a while but it won't last forever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    If there aren't any feelings involved, yes.
    I disagree.

I had an arrangement like this with one of my close friends. We'd go out to restaurants and bars together, spend time doing coupley things together, but we were still both single. We obviously had feelings for eachother and even to this day, we're still massively flirty and tactile with eachother despite not sleeping together anymore. Neither of us got hurt and it was great

ReputationRep:
    Yes it can. But it's unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    No
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by hezzlington)
    I disagree.

I had an arrangement like this with one of my close friends. We'd go out to restaurants and bars together, spend time doing coupley things together, but we were still both single. We obviously had feelings for eachother and even to this day, we're still massively flirty and tactile with eachother despite not sleeping together anymore. Neither of us got hurt and it was great
    There are exceptions, you were a happy case.

And I assume she wasn't doing this with multiple people, neither were you.

ReputationRep:
    As long as both of you establish some ground rules, and still be friends, then it should be alright.

Saying that, it's likely one of you will start falling for the other, which will then be an issue. Just keep that in mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And also, how would you feel if she slept with another guy whilst you are still FWB with her? And vice versa, how'd she feel if you did the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering about this. Think I'd worry about stds if the other person was sleeping with others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    There are exceptions, you were a happy case.

And I assume she wasn't doing this with multiple people, neither were you.
    (Original post by Ella-keturah)
    I was wondering about this. Think I'd worry about stds if the other person was sleeping with others.
    We weren't, she was worried about stds :rolleyes:

Which is a legitimate concern ofcourse! I wouldn't have a 'friends with benefits' (that label is kinda cringey) if I was also sleeping with other people. I'd be an exclusive but technically not exclusive friend with benefits.

I'm naturally quite monogamous.

I rather invest everything I have into one person at a time.

Spoiler:
    Show

All 9 inches of it :sexface:
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by hezzlington)
    We weren't, she was worried about stds :rolleyes:

Which is a legitimate concern ofcourse! I wouldn't have a 'friends with benefits' (that label is kinda cringey) if I was also sleeping with other people. I'd be an exclusive but technically not exclusive friend with benefits.

I'm naturally quite monogamous.

I rather invest everything I have into one person at a time.

Spoiler:
    Show

All 9 inches of it :sexface:

That isn't the actual relationship ''friends with benefits'' cause this label doesn't come with commitment or exclusivity soz. You were just lucky to find a friend who was cool with that. Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    That isn't the actual relationship ''friends with benefits'' cause this label doesn't come with commitment or exclusivity soz. You were just lucky to find a friend who was cool with that. Lol.
    so what was it then?

I never told her I wasn't sleeping with other people. We at no point had the discussion "what are we" etc. We're just friends. And we sleep together. I don't really see how that's anything other than 'friends with benefits'.

ReputationRep:
    Define work.

The chances are you're not going to be friends with whoever in 10 years time so enjoy the ride until it ends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'etranger)
    Define work.

The chances are you're not going to be friends with whoever in 10 years time so enjoy the ride until it ends.
    I think by 'work', it means you don't fall out after it ends.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.