Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can friends with benefits work? Watch

• Political Ambassador

(Original post by sudent)
    YO, ANYBOdY WATCH LUCIFEr lmao spoiler they can't work together properly, just make sure to set rules
    Thank you very much. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I thought friends with benefits just meant 2 friends on the dole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Me and a close friend of mine were on a night out recently and ending up getting together, the same thing happened a few nights later so we've kinda decided on a friends with benefits situation as neither of us want a relationship, Can this actually work without ruining our friendship??
    It can work for a time, but it almost always ends up with at least one person feeling hurt. Then, you must work hard to repair the friendship, which will never be the same. Of course, it can also develop into a relationship and friendship is a good basis for a lasting one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    It's hard to say because it depends on the people involved. Some people get jealous and there's usually one person who develops strong feelings for the other person and that's when things can go wrong.
    hey your profile pic got bigger since i last saw it
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TreeFellOnMe)
    hey your profile pic got bigger since i last saw it
    I haven't changed it :dontknow:

New title under my username perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    Friends with benefits doesn't really work as a long term thing I mean it's fine until the moment when feeling get involved and trust me they will you need to talk to your mate and see where you both stand can I ask do you have feelings for him?

ReputationRep:
    I admire those it can work for; I tried it with a friend of mine and it didn't work, I developed very strong feelings which I am still trying to get over, unfortunately, whereas he didn't have any. We ended up falling out and I'm still trying to get over him.

ReputationRep:
    Fwb is just a constant booty call. Most girls agreeing to even have a booty call should probably understand the fwb rules:

1. Family hours=6pm-11pm; 5am-10am. And Sundays. Do not disturb during these hours or at all on Sunday.
    2. Do not go by each other's houses without permission.
    3. Do not ask who the other is speaking to on the phone while they are out with you.
    4. Do not get jealous when they dance with someone else in front of you.
    5. Do not at all think you come before their children
    6. Do not get jealous if your FWB still speaks with their kid's other parent.
    7. Do not ask for money. Ever.
    8. Do not ask for lifts. Unless it's to the place you agree to have sex.
    9. Do not ever start a conversation like "where are/were you?" Just don't.
    10. Do not ever ask to start a relationship.
    Loads of other "do nots"

Rule 3 is normally where **** starts to go bad. Therefore it's impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Fwb is just a constant booty call. Most girls agreeing to even have a booty call should probably understand the fwb rules:

1. Family hours=6pm-11pm; 5am-10am. And Sundays. Do not disturb during these hours or at all on Sunday.
    2. Do not go by each other's houses without permission.
    3. Do not ask who the other is speaking to on the phone while they are out with you.
    4. Do not get jealous when they dance with someone else in front of you.
    5. Do not at all think you come before their children
    6. Do not get jealous if your FWB still speaks with their kid's other parent.
    7. Do not ask for money. Ever.
    8. Do not ask for lifts. Unless it's to the place you agree to have sex.
    9. Do not ever start a conversation like "where are/were you?" Just don't.
    10. Do not ever ask to start a relationship.
    Loads of other "do nots"

Rule 3 is normally where **** starts to go bad. Therefore it's impossible.
    Doesnt sound like fwb at all. Sounds like the guidelines youd lay out to a prostitute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Doesnt sound like fwb at all. Sounds like the guidelines youd lay out to a prostitute.
    (Seems to be a new aged romance added to the classic fwb). Fwb is someone you simply meet up with for sex but you get on with them, that's it. Anything else is someone who's roleplaying a relationship too afraid to start one, or the other person doesnt even want to be with you. That's the reality. You treat your fwb like a side chick/side man, not a pretend girlfriend or pretend boyfriend who you go on fancy dates with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have had feelings for a guy for about 1 year now. We were FWB, but I developed feelings and wanted more whereas he didn't, and I ended up getting heartbroken. We tried to stay friends and I tried to get over him, but he kept trying to initiate FWB, I'd be tempted and then I'd realise he only wanted sex and would end up getting hurt that he would never want more with me.
    We ended up falling out and today the friendship is not the same. He's on a year abroad so I haven't seen him in months anyway, and he won't be back till the summer. We don't really talk much whereas we used to speak every day, and it's sad, but I need to get over these feelings.
    I have been trying to move on and meet other people since last June. I've had a few dates but they turned out to be guys just looking for one thing. I met someone a few weeks ago, and we've been on 3 dates.
    He's very nice and easy to talk to, and we seem to get on. I find him quite physically attractive, but I'm not sure if I even fancy him. As I said, we've only been on 3 dates, so it's very early, but he seems keen.
    I feel like I am just forcing myself to date someone else to try and forget the guy i'm in love with. I haven't had feelings at all for anybody else, but everyone keeps telling me to move on, find someone else etc. and I don't see another way.

Should I keep meeting this guy and see if things develop? I dont want to waste his time and it's not fair on him, but I'm sick of being stuck on the same guy, and I've no idea how to get over him.
    How uncanny ^

just read from this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4531744

ReputationRep:
    (Seems to be a new aged romance added to the classic fwb). Fwb is someone you simply meet up with for sex but you get on with them, that's it. Anything else is someone who's roleplaying a relationship too afraid to start one, or the other person doesnt even want to be with you. That's the reality. You treat your fwb like a side chick/side man, not a pretend girlfriend or pretend boyfriend who you go on fancy dates with.
    I agree, apart from the how you treat them bit. Id still meet up with my fwb and not necessarily sleep together. And i dated them too. Relationship was off the cards because of various factors; timing, distance etc. But you're right it was like roleplaying a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    I agree, apart from the how you treat them bit. Id still meet up with my fwb and not necessarily sleep together. And i dated them too. Relationship was off the cards because of various factors; timing, distance etc. But you're right it was like roleplaying a relationship.
    So you'd have got together if you lived closer then? Because relationship wouldn't be up for discussion with proper fwb's nevermind any timing or distance complications. But like I said fwb normally doesn't work out anyway if it goes on too long. I wouldn't call what you had an fwb, it's more like people who dated and decided not to get together in the end.

ReputationRep:
    So you'd have got together if you lived closer then? Because relationship wouldn't be up for discussion with proper fwb's nevermind any timing or distance complications. But like I said fwb normally doesn't work out anyway if it goes on too long. I wouldn't call what you had an fwb, it's more like people who dated and decided not to get together in the end.
    We knew from the start before we hooked up we weren't going to be together.

ReputationRep:
    Considering the EU, the British Empire and all that other stuff I'd say no.
    One is bound to fight a war for the other and then seek independence.

ReputationRep:
    There's always an exception to the rule, but try not to catch feelings for them!

ReputationRep:
    In my experience it can last for a couple weeks but after a while it all goes south

ReputationRep:
    The risks with FWB situations are usually described about "developing feelings" but I think it's often a more basic issue of ego and jealousy.

It's perfectly possible to have an FWB for whom you don't have feelings in the way of thinking you would ever be a realistic couple. You can find someone attractive and have good sexual chat and banter whilst also acknowledging that you can't compatible in terms of anything more.

However, you can quickly become accustomed to the ego-boost and easy access to pleasure of having someone who pays you a lot of physical attention, flirts and does sex chat with you from a distance and then gets together with you in person. If you are single, it can reinforce your confidence and make you less stressy about finding a partner and feel validated in terms of your sexual attractiveness. When you're in that situation, make the most of it. But you have to ask yourself how will you feel if that disappears, eg if your FWB finds a partner. You can end up feeling horribly jealous, that they have carried on enjoying all the flirting and sex but now with another person, who they are actually in a relationship with, whilst you are stuck outside alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brunuk.)
    I am against this whole "friends with benefits" concept.
    I think you should only have sex with who you love and want to be with.
    It's much more special like that.
    Maybe it's because i'm a hopeless romantic.
    I am a guy by the way, straight and an atheist.

....and a pussy

It can but in the end I've herd someone always gets hurt.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.