Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been interested in joining the navy for a while now, and have looked into it quite a lot. I'm academic, so was thinking of going down the route of officer, but was wondering about how much university fees they would cover, say if I were to go Cambridge. Also, and this is a more general question, but if you own a house, say it's passed down to you, and you could see yourself living there for the majority of your life, how much money would you really need to survive? Say you have no mortgage as the house has been passed down, how much would you need to be on per year to live well in London? Final question, my grandad was quite a high ranking in the navy during ww2, though because of his class and othe reasons, never made it to the proper high rankings, so from hearing this I've always wanted to become a high ranking in the Navyas I can. So, I was wondering how long it would take to reach a top rank in the Navy, like a Captain, and how many people would realistically get to this rank. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    I've been interested in joining the navy for a while now, and have looked into it quite a lot. I'm academic, so was thinking of going down the route of officer, but was wondering about how much university fees they would cover, say if I were to go Cambridge.
    Where you go doesn't matter. Sponsorship is available, but this will be extremely limited and won't cover fees at all. More information is available on the RN website, have you looked?

Also, and this is a more general question, but if you own a house, say it's passed down to you, and you could see yourself living there for the majority of your life, how much money would you really need to survive? Say you have no mortgage as the house has been passed down, how much would you need to be on per year to live well in London?
    How long is a piece of string?
    It's impossible to say. And if you're joining the Navy, why would you be living in London?

So, I was wondering how long it would take to reach a top rank in the Navy, like a Captain, and how many people would realistically get to this rank. Thanks
    Hard to say. ~15 years for the first bit, if you're in the right branch, right place at the right time and have the right service record.
    Not many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    I've been interested in joining the navy for a while now, and have looked into it quite a lot. I'm academic, so was thinking of going down the route of officer, but was wondering about how much university fees they would cover, say if I were to go Cambridge. Also, and this is a more general question, but if you own a house, say it's passed down to you, and you could see yourself living there for the majority of your life, how much money would you really need to survive? Say you have no mortgage as the house has been passed down, how much would you need to be on per year to live well in London? Final question, my grandad was quite a high ranking in the navy during ww2, though because of his class and othe reasons, never made it to the proper high rankings, so from hearing this I've always wanted to become a high ranking in the Navyas I can. So, I was wondering how long it would take to reach a top rank in the Navy, like a Captain, and how many people would realistically get to this rank. Thanks
    Thats Great

Can't answer many of your questions. The answers are up to you and your personal life plan. I can tell you that London is an expensive place to live and maybe not compatible with a military salary.

How long it takes for you to climb the greasy pole is entirely up to you, your existing skills and ambitions and single mindedness.

In terms of likelihood of achieving the top ranks, then according to the Dec 2016 RN personnel stats, there are about 260 officers at OF5 and above (NATO code for Captain rank). This is approx 7% of the trained RN officer strength and less than 1% of the total RN trained strength which stands at less than 30,000.

Very best of luck with your career, but remember you are likely to pick up a family along the way. Please remember them as you ascend the ladder.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.