Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am studying my LLB in France and I want to do a LLM in the UK but many people tell me that with a french LLB and a simple LLM I won't be able to became a solicitor or a barrister in the UK.
    Please someone can tell me if this is right? What kind of diploma I have to achieve if I want to work as a solicitor or a barrister knowing that I already have my law degree.

Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I studied a LLB in french law (Paris II Assas) and I am going to pursue an LLM in Queen Mary University of London next year
    To become a solicitor, an LLM won't be enough. You have to, first of all, pursue a GDL (Graduate Diploma in Law) which is a qualifying law degree for international students or non-law graduates. After that, You have to go through the LPC and then get a training contract.

Do not hesitate if you have further questions!

ReputationRep:
    An LLM won't cut it (and isn't necessary to qualify). You need to take the GDL. Better yet, secure a training contract/pupillage (both are hard to get) and only then proceed to take the GDL and LPC/BPTC, as all of these are expensive courses.

I know a girl who had a law degree from Spain but wasn't qualified there and who did an LLM at KCL. During the LLM she started applying for vac schemes, secured one, got her TC as a result, and then proceeded to take the GDL and LPC immediately after the LLM. Doing the LLM can't have helped that much because she didn't have the results when she was applying for vac schemes, but it did mean that she was in London during all the law fairs. And she had a perfect Chelsea accent even though she had no British heritage whatsoever, that never hurts.

If English qualification is merely a way to better your job prospects in France, qualify there first and take the QLTS afterwards, possibly after or while you study for an LLM. It's more efficient but the less traditional route and less likely to get you a job in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michelliki)
    An LLM won't cut it (and isn't necessary to qualify). You need to take the GDL. Better yet, secure a training contract/pupillage (both are hard to get) and only then proceed to take the GDL and LPC/BPTC, as all of these are expensive courses.

I know a girl who had a law degree from Spain but wasn't qualified there and who did an LLM at KCL. During the LLM she started applying for vac schemes, secured one, got her TC as a result, and then proceeded to take the GDL and LPC immediately after the LLM. Doing the LLM can't have helped that much because she didn't have the results when she was applying for vac schemes, but it did mean that she was in London during all the law fairs. And she had a perfect Chelsea accent even though she had no British heritage whatsoever, that never hurts.

If English qualification is merely a way to better your job prospects in France, qualify there first and take the QLTS afterwards, possibly after or while you study for an LLM. It's more efficient but the less traditional route and less likely to get you a job in England.
    All of this is completely true. Taking the GDL and LPC might be a better road than the QLTS.

However, if you have enough money to pay for it, the LLM will definitely help. As an international student, it would be difficult to prove why you want to become a solicitor in the UK if you never studied common law before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fslawymb)
    All of this is completely true. Taking the GDL and LPC might be a better road than the QLTS.

However, if you have enough money to pay for it, the LLM will definitely help. As an international student, it would be difficult to prove why you want to become a solicitor in the UK if you never studied common law before.
    I don't think it is as much about having studied common law as it is about being committed to a law career in England (I'll just assume you'd want to work in London, correct me if I'm wrong). Doing an LLM in England or another common law jurisdiction doesn't necessarily mean you'll be studying a lot of local law at all, what with it being a postgraduate course and thus focused on a few key areas of your choice rather than the system as a whole (I speak from experience, I completed an LLM in Hong Kong where I had to fight to get any exposure to Hong Kong / commonl law).

You are right, of course, that an LLM will show at least some commitment to the jurisdiction as a future workplace.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.