Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    During sixth form at school, there was this girl in my Media class who I developed a massive crush on. We had some things in common as well, like aside from doing the same A-Level course, we were also both very musical and seemed to like a lot of the same things in that regard. She's also a great musician and singer which is something I admire. We worked together a couple of times in various project groups throughout the time in sixth form and we always seemed to get on.

The best time was right at the end of Year 13 and I was to sing in front of the entire year during the leavers' assembly and the day before, during the last Media lesson we had, she was really encouraging me to go out and do it, saying I'd do well. So the next day of course I did it and when I saw her later that afternoon she said "well done" to me and how my family would be really proud, and this was the most genuine and sincere she'd ever been with me.

Nothing in the way of a relationship ever even began to develop, mainly because I was way too shy to ask her out. The very last time I saw her and spoke to her was when my Media group had a bowling evening out followed by a Frankie & Benny's, and that was it. Months later I followed her on Instagram but she didn't follow me back.

Anyway, two years on I'm now in my 2nd year at uni and it just so happens that this year she started a course at the same uni. Hearing about this, I messaged her on Instagram just casually asking if she wanted to meet up because I hadn't seen her in a while but it never got any response, so I thought that she just didn't like me taking all that into account. To make it worse, she once posted a screenshot of her phone home screen with an Instagram message notification flashed up, which means mine probably would've flashed up at the time as well, so she definitely saw it and she just didn't say anything. I thought then that she just wasn't interested in me in any way at all.

A few weeks later, I was working in one of the IT rooms when she and her media group just suddenly came in and she walked over to me and said "hello Robert Ellis! How are you?", although I hadn't noticed her until after she started speaking. She looked happy to see me and came over and sat next to me and we talked for the next five minutes or so about uni, before she then re-joined her media group to start working so that was nice, but I found it awkward when I left afterward. She was with her group outside the door and as I came out later and walked past her she just said "see you friend!" which I thought was very weird terminology to use considering we'd just had a good conversation beforehand. I had what I would describe as another awkward encounter a few weeks ago as well when we past each other in a doorway. We were both with our respective media groups anyway but she just looked at me and said "hello!", and I just said "hello!" back and then we just moved on. I'm probably overthinking this one but it just seemed awkward to me how she didn't even say my name.

But it was earlier today where it really felt sincere. I was walking to my lecture and she just happened to be going to a session herself and saw me and said "hi rob!" and then we walked together and had a very nice and sincere conversation for the next few minutes and we got on well.

Basically, why would she blankly ignore me on social media when in person she's really nice and engaging with me? It just gives me conflicting thoughts on what she thinks of me. I'd love to be able to become better friends with her and see her more, even if it's just friendship, because I do enjoy her company and she's nice to talk to, but if she just blanks me online then I feel awkward asking her about meeting up again. I just don't know what she thinks of me?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    We're not going to know what she thinks of you. Why not ask her out instead of analysing silly things?

Just do it Rob :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertEllis97)
    During sixth form at school, there was this girl in my Media class who I developed a massive crush on. We had some things in common as well, like aside from doing the same A-Level course, we were also both very musical and seemed to like a lot of the same things in that regard. She's also a great musician and singer which is something I admire. We worked together a couple of times in various project groups throughout the time in sixth form and we always seemed to get on.

The best time was right at the end of Year 13 and I was to sing in front of the entire year during the leavers' assembly and the day before, during the last Media lesson we had, she was really encouraging me to go out and do it, saying I'd do well. So the next day of course I did it and when I saw her later that afternoon she said "well done" to me and how my family would be really proud, and this was the most genuine and sincere she'd ever been with me.

Nothing in the way of a relationship ever even began to develop, mainly because I was way too shy to ask her out. The very last time I saw her and spoke to her was when my Media group had a bowling evening out followed by a Frankie & Benny's, and that was it. Months later I followed her on Instagram but she didn't follow me back.

Anyway, two years on I'm now in my 2nd year at uni and it just so happens that this year she started a course at the same uni. Hearing about this, I messaged her on Instagram just casually asking if she wanted to meet up because I hadn't seen her in a while but it never got any response, so I thought that she just didn't like me taking all that into account. To make it worse, she once posted a screenshot of her phone home screen with an Instagram message notification flashed up, which means mine probably would've flashed up at the time as well, so she definitely saw it and she just didn't say anything. I thought then that she just wasn't interested in me in any way at all.

A few weeks later, I was working in one of the IT rooms when she and her media group just suddenly came in and she walked over to me and said "hello Robert Ellis! How are you?", although I hadn't noticed her until after she started speaking. She looked happy to see me and came over and sat next to me and we talked for the next five minutes or so about uni, before she then re-joined her media group to start working so that was nice, but I found it awkward when I left afterward. She was with her group outside the door and as I came out later and walked past her she just said "see you friend!" which I thought was very weird terminology to use considering we'd just had a good conversation beforehand. I had what I would describe as another awkward encounter a few weeks ago as well when we past each other in a doorway. We were both with our respective media groups anyway but she just looked at me and said "hello!", and I just said "hello!" back and then we just moved on. I'm probably overthinking this one but it just seemed awkward to me how she didn't even say my name.

But it was earlier today where it really felt sincere. I was walking to my lecture and she just happened to be going to a session herself and saw me and said "hi rob!" and then we walked together and had a very nice and sincere conversation for the next few minutes and we got on well.

Basically, why would she blankly ignore me on social media when in person she's really nice and engaging with me? It just gives me conflicting thoughts on what she thinks of me. I'd love to be able to become better friends with her and see her more, even if it's just friendship, because I do enjoy her company and she's nice to talk to, but if she just blanks me online then I feel awkward asking her about meeting up again. I just don't know what she thinks of me?
    It could be that she just isn't a fan of social media. Many people who use social media aren't avid users and may prefer face to face interaction. I wouldn't let how she acts online determine how you thinks she sees you.

If you really want to know what she thinks, you should ask her out. If you have similar interests and are able to carry a genuine conversation, I think you have a great chance of her saying yes!

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't seem like she is into you in that way, but you might aswell ask her out to be sure

she probs likes you as a vague acquaintance and doesn't want to talk to you on social media because she doesn't want to be that good friends with you and would find it awkward. That's what I took away from it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I have an instagram account literally just because I clicked a button somewhere and it automatically gave me an account linked to my facebook. Loads of people have added me on it (been getting notifications) but I haven't even been on it yet lol. I went on the site for a few minutes but the user interface was weird so I went off it again.

Should try facebook thats more commonly used.

lol at thinking it's awkward when someone says 'hello' without saying your name though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.