Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who here voted remain and who leave? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viffer)
    Show us your workings

If Sterling increases in value after the UK extricates itself from the EU and the economy continues to grow and strengthen as a result travelling to other European countries would actually be cheaper
    But the sterling has fallen and hasn't recouped its value since Brexit.

Sure the "experts" are saying sterling will rise this year which may happen but would sterling be as strong if the UK were in the EU than out of it? Answer is no.

More importantly why would sterling rise at the moment or the near future greatly?I mean investment from FDIs isnt exactly attractive if you leave on of the largest markets.

Yes, if sterling rises due to us leaving the EU then my point is null but to me this won't be happening any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    Voted remain. Would do so again. Will move to europe when i can save enough money. Will return when we rejoin in 15 or 20 years time. Yes i see the Eu lasting that long.
    Don't get you hopes too high on us rejoining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    Let's say article 50 gets voted in who here will be glad who voted remain or leave and who regrets voting the way they did?
    i went in the booth, still undecided, and i ended putting the card in blank. I can see both sides, but i'm glad leave won, put it like that!

ReputationRep:
    couldn't vote then, but if i could I would have voted remain in a heartbeat. I am british, but live in Brussels as my parents work for the European Union (i can already feel the hate im going to get) so obviously im very firm in my stance, but im dreading moving to the UK this September after the vote i think i will be hassled + there is so much xenephobia in the UK now! when people ask me where im from, I say European because it's too embarassing to say English (To any remain voters this is in no way a reproach, this is just my personal feeling, England is a nice place but the mentality has shifted about 50 years behind )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilysheehy98)
    couldn't vote then, but if i could I would have voted remain in a heartbeat. I am british, but live in Brussels as my parents work for the European Union (i can already feel the hate im going to get) so obviously im very firm in my stance, but im dreading moving to the UK this September after the vote i think i will be hassled + there is so much xenephobia in the UK now! when people ask me where im from, I say European because it's too embarassing to say English (To any remain voters this is in no way a reproach, this is just my personal feeling, England is a nice place but the mentality has shifted about 50 years behind )
    Think you will find the country is the same as it way last May

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    Don't get you hopes too high on us rejoining.
    The idea that we will rejoin without the rebate, shengen and joining the euro is laughable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You have a point, but it wasnt brilliant for us driving through the UK in May last year with our Belgian number plate either
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Tfw wasn't allowed to vote
    If I could then I would've voted remain.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I didn't vote, there was problems with my register to vote and it didn't get in on time. I would have voted remain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    They could, but they won't. Domestic investment is a disgrace while we were net beneficiaries of the eus research budget - and successive governments have shown pure contempt for STEM (the sacking of professor nutt, the appointments of trennedick and dories to science based select committees...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you have to remember it is still taxpayers money they were throwing around

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Richard Dawkins original hypothesis that this referendum should never have been held. Most of the people who voted aren't qualified to vote. However maybe the political establishment were never gonna get us out of the EU or do anything about immigration.

ReputationRep:
    I voted to remain. I don't regret voting that way.

ReputationRep:
    Voted Remain.

I understand the reasons for both sides, I am just not that much of a gambler and would have much preferred to urge the EU to change their methods from within the EU. However we have taken the plunge now and we can only hope for the best.

I really hope it turns out well and that my opinion is completely wrong, but I am worried if my opinion was actually correct and what the UK will look like after the unrest.

Jon

ReputationRep:
    Would have voted leave.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Looool I see what you did there

ReputationRep:
    In all fairness, the pound has been destroyed in value. Might be good for exports, but for a service and purchase heavy economy, it is not a logical move, in my opinion. The financial sector (as much as everyone hates it, including me) does provide a lot of investment to be drawn toward the UK, they provide a lot of jobs and also are a significant amount of our GDP, the fact people are thinking of moving shop after article 50 has been triggered is slightly worrying.

However, article 50 hasn't even been triggered yet and everyone is acting like we've already left the EU and all is good. We haven't even begun the transition of leaving yet and that is when the markets will explode, in one way or another and we will really see if it was a mistake or a great decision.

Before anyone tries to call me some 'snowflake piece of sh*t', I understand both sides of the argument. Both have good views. People from BOTH sides need to just stop insulting one another, take the fight to the politicians and your political party, air your views and let your opinion actually count.

Jon

ReputationRep:
    Voted Leave, and am quite chuffed with everything so far. Wouldn't change my mind.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    you have to remember it is still taxpayers money they were throwing around
    So you've already given up on the "we could still invest" line and gone straight to but it's tax payer money, as if that makes a difference. I don't care that it was tax payer money, I am perfectly happy to pay taxes towards the good of the country, what I am not happy to do is pay more tax to cover the shortfall for those who don't fancy doing so (hence my opposition to being a corporate tax haven).

The government will not invest more into our R&D sectors, we'll end up with our already pathetic budget getting smaller.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    So you've already given up on the "we could still invest" line and gone straight to but it's tax payer money, as if that makes a difference. I don't care that it was tax payer money, I am perfectly happy to pay taxes towards the good of the country, what I am not happy to do is pay more tax to cover the shortfall for those who don't fancy doing so (hence my opposition to being a corporate tax haven).

The government will not invest more into our R&D sectors, we'll end up with our already pathetic budget getting smaller.
    What are you talking about? No one cares what you personally want. The point is it was taxpyers money that they were throwing around. Why should people be forced to pay taxes for something which they have no control over and doesn't benefit their lives. Let's say that people can restrict tax squandering if they vote a government out they can't do that with the EU
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Voted leave and would vote leave again today. I've always been eurosceptic and although I wavered on one or two occasions during the campaign, I'm glad I voted leave.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.