Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a second year med student on a 4 year course.

I'm thinking a bit about next summer and just wondering if anyone has any experience/advice about organising some kind of summer placement. Before I get all the 'enjoy your summer/have a rest' chat, I get that totally, and I'm not one of those top decile chasers who never gets a break, but for personal reasons I've had to put medicine to one side for a while, and I'm keen to try to get thinking about my career!

I'd be quite keen to get some experience either abroad or in another city...is this something that's possible outside the normal elective period? We get to go on elective in 4th year, but has anybody organised summer placements etc that can give any advice? Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If you have the time and inclination you can do what you want in your spare time. I'm sure there are loads of people who have done things that are not directly med related over the summer so it depends on what you want to do and where. Have a look for schemes or even doing something on your own. Just don't burn yourself out if you plan to go back to med school.

ReputationRep:
    Seek out contacts in hospitals in the cities you want to visit. Some hospitals will advertise a contact for arranging electives or you could go through the admin staff who organise work experience for 6th form kids. You'll need to give them specifics of date and duration that you'd like the attachment to last. It may be a good idea to meet with a uni supervisor/tutor to have a chat, so you can tell potential placements that you're uni are aware and happy.
    Best of luck, let me know if you fancy Plymouth, Truro or Exeter!

ReputationRep:
    My gf did this regularly - she'd go home to the Caribbean and she was friends with the doctors in the hospital there so would organise informal 'placements' or get involved in their local research. Its certainly doable - just watch out for hospitals that will want to charge you for the pleasure.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you definitely can just do whatever you want. I spent a summer doing an internship at the World Health Organisation and last summer shadowing in a hospital in Palestine. This Summer I'm hoping to complete an intensive literary translation course!

ReputationRep:
    Just email consultants in the department directly. Especially if it's at your medical school hospitals, should be fairly easy to sort out (literally, most of the time all you need is someone to invite you over and you just stay lol - no paperwork or anything ... this will be different if it's not your trust/medical school hospitals)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.