Help! Interview at Roehampton for Counselling & Psychotherapy MA - what to expect?!

Watch this thread
cocolestrange
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

Desperate for some advice!

Has anyone experienced/know of someone who has had an interview at Roehampton for their Counselling and Psychotherapy MA (or a similar course)? I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks so much!
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Be prepared to talk about why you, why the course and why the uni. Talk about your skills and experience and career plans and how this fits with them. Re-read your application and be prepared to ask your own questions as well.
Anita12
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

just wondering if you have had your interview? I have a interview coming up at Roehampton in a similar subject and have no idea what to expect either!
Ama_Vera
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cocolestrange)
Hi all,

Desperate for some advice!

Has anyone experienced/know of someone who has had an interview at Roehampton for their Counselling and Psychotherapy MA (or a similar course)? I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks so much!

Hi, I’m wondering if you went to the interview in the end. I’ve got an interview for the course in a few weeks. If you went, what questions were asked? Did you have a group interview?
HemaLatif
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi all

Would be great to get some tips from you all. How were your interviews? How did you find the written exercise? I have my interview coming up and am super nervous.
Darcy G
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hey - For those who have done the Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy MA interview (adults or children) how did it go? Is there any advice you can give for those interviewing soon e.g. types of activities/exercises? Thank you!
Ama_Vera
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hey I’ve started my first year for this course.
For the group interview, they asked what informed you to start this journey? So make it personal to you.

For the individual interview they asked, why you chose to do the course, what experience you have, how have you prepared yourself for the course, strengths and weaknesses, why integrative and future plans.

Good luck 😊
Darcy G
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hey, thank you so much Ama_Vera!
That doesnt sound so terryfing - the kind of questions you can prepare for thankfully. Were there not any exercises in the group interview? I have been told there will be in mine

Im interested in the Children, Adolescents and Families version of this MA (new last year), so it may be slighly different. Currently on the hunt for someone who interviewed last year haha! But I really appreciate your help, thank you! Good luck with your course
Last edited by Darcy G; 3 years ago
Ama_Vera
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Oh right. It is different.
I’ve heard the group interview involves playing with sand.

Thank you though. Wishing you all the best.
Darcy G
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Oh right, wow - that sounds interesting! Not what I was expecting haha. Thank you for your help again Ama_Vera. If you have any other advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Hope all goes well for you.
Susiecoop
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi, was wondering how you got on in your interview? I’ve got mine for the integrative counselling and psychotherapy for children MA in a few weeks - any information would be greatly appreciated!
(Original post by Darcy G)
Oh right, wow - that sounds interesting! Not what I was expecting haha. Thank you for your help again Ama_Vera. If you have any other advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Hope all goes well for you.
Darcy G
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi Susiecoop, I had my interview a while ago - it went well (despite being sick with nerves) and I was offered a place!

The interview was actually very chilled (which I wasn’t expecting) - it started off with a group chat with around 10 other people sitting in a circle (discussing a particular topic) and you have to jump in whenever you have something to say to contribute to the discussion (and they just listen and make notes while you talk) - I think this lasted like 30/40 minutes.

Then we had individual 1:1 interviews (3 different people doing interviews at the same time) and it was super chilled and laid back - I got a lovely woman who wasn’t reading questions off a piece of paper or anything, and it was more just like a casual/informal chat, about myself and my experience and why I want to do the course, and she asked me a couple of questions to direct the conversation but mostly let me talk and anything she did ask was pretty much tailored to me (questions that I guessed she had thought of in the moment).

So my advice is to just know what you’ve said in your application, be confident in talking about your experience and why you know the course is right for you, and I’m sure you’ll be fine

Let me know if I can help with anything else. Good luck! X
(Original post by Susiecoop)
Hi, was wondering how you got on in your interview? I’ve got mine for the integrative counselling and psychotherapy for children MA in a few weeks - any information would be greatly appreciated!
Susiecoop
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Thanks so much for your reply! Very useful, I feel much better about it now..Good luck with the course- I may see you there 🤞
Hi Susiecoop, I had my interview a while ago - it went well (despite being sick with nerves) and I was offered a place!

The interview was actually very chilled (which I wasn’t expecting) - it started off with a group chat with around 10 other people sitting in a circle (discussing a particular topic) and you have to jump in whenever you have something to say to contribute to the discussion (and they just listen and make notes while you talk) - I think this lasted like 30/40 minutes.

Then we had individual 1:1 interviews (3 different people doing interviews at the same time) and it was super chilled and laid back - I got a lovely woman who wasn’t reading questions off a piece of paper or anything, and it was more just like a casual/informal chat, about myself and my experience and why I want to do the course, and she asked me a couple of questions to direct the conversation but mostly let me talk and anything she did ask was pretty much tailored to me (questions that I guessed she had thought of in the moment).

So my advice is to just know what you’ve said in your application, be confident in talking about your experience and why you know the course is right for you, and I’m sure you’ll be fine

Darcy G
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
You’re welcome! Let me know how it goes, or if you have anymore questions! X
Thanks so much for your reply! Very useful, I feel much better about it now..Good luck with the course- I may see you there 🤞
Susiecoop
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Thanks! Just wondering now what kind of things were discussed in the group session? X
You’re welcome! Let me know how it goes, or if you have anymore questions! X
Darcy G
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Our topic was something along the lines of 'contributing factors to child/adolescent mental health', but I'm not sure if all interviews will have the same topic x
Thanks! Just wondering now what kind of things were discussed in the group session? X
Susiecoop
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Thanks again ..you’re right, probably won’t be the same, but useful to know it’s a general topic x
Our topic was something along the lines of 'contributing factors to child/adolescent mental health', but I'm not sure if all interviews will have the same topic x
TRL050
Rep:
Report 2 years ago

Hi Darcy G - I'm looking into applying for this course and would love to get a bit of insight into it. How are you finding it? What prior experience did you have before applying? How many days during the week are you required to be in uni or placement? Have you been able to work alongside the course?

Thanks so much for any advice you have!
Last edited by TRL050; 2 years ago
Sanaas
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi Darcy, did you end up going to roehampton? If so how have you found the university and course? I’ve been accepted but I’m deducing between two universities. Thanks

(Original post by Darcy G)Hi Susiecoop, I had my interview a while ago - it went well (despite being sick with nerves) and I was offered a place!

roseanne451
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sanaas)
Hi Darcy, did you end up going to roehampton? If so how have you found the university and course? I’ve been accepted but I’m deducing between two universities. Thanks
Congrats Sanaas on getting accepted! Was this for the Integrative course for children, adolescents and families? How was the interview? I have one in a few weeks and keen to know what to expect and how to prep.

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
45%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (5)
25%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
10%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
15%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise