Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UchihaMadara)
    Texas method will help your bench...I ran Texas for a few weeks and my pushing strength regressed lol
    loool

I ran it for a few weeks over Easter and it worked really well for pressing. Was okay for squats but the volume kills me probably due to olympic lifts alongside

ReputationRep:
    08/07/2017

Another poverty session

Bench:
    50kg 5x5

Accessories: chinups, dips, weighted lower back extension, crunches+curls superset, lat pulldown

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TajwarC)
    08/07/2017

Another poverty session

Bench:
    50kg 5x5

Accessories: chinups, dips, weighted lower back extension, crunches+curls superset, lat pulldown
    While I'm against minimalist set ups now, you might want to lower either your volume or frequency until your work capacity improves if you're looking to run Texas. At the moment intensity, volume and frequency are all pretty high for you and something has to give. Assuming 50 is close to your true 5x5 max.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sae.HH)
    While I'm against minimalist set ups now, you might want to lower either your volume or frequency until your work capacity improves if you're looking to run Texas. At the moment intensity, volume and frequency are all pretty high for you and something has to give. Assuming 50 is close to your true 5x5 max.
    I'd say today was pretty easy. The issue is that usually (this week was an exception) I'd only leave one day between bench days which I'm not sure if it will be enough recovery time. I could try to shift the 1x5 day back but that would mean having to squat/pull/bench on the same day.

When I last ran it I left 4 days between and it worked pretty well, the volume day was by far the easiest (this was when my ankle was exploded so no squats/dl). I'll see how it goes because I'm better at handling volume with bench compared with Deadlift/squat where I'm better with intensity (low reps high weight) hence why Texas worked better for bench than squat

ReputationRep:
    I'd say today was pretty easy. The issue is that usually (this week was an exception) I'd only leave one day between bench days which I'm not sure if it will be enough recovery time. I could try to shift the 1x5 day back but that would mean having to squat/pull/bench on the same day.

When I last ran it I left 4 days between and it worked pretty well, the volume day was by far the easiest (this was when my ankle was exploded so no squats/dl). I'll see how it goes because I'm better at handling volume with bench compared with Deadlift/squat where I'm better with intensity (low reps high weight) hence why Texas worked better for bench than squat
    Ah right okay, i though because you said poverty I assumed it was a difficult session with that should have been relatively comfortable weights. As you were!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sae.HH)
    Ah right okay, i though because you said poverty I assumed it was a difficult session with that should have been relatively comfortable weights. As you were!
    Lool my bad, I use it too much these days. It's basically cos I did 60kg 5x5 at one point not too long ago so I've regressed which is kinda annoying

Cheers anyway tho

ReputationRep:
    10/07/2017

Back Squat:
    82.5kg 4x4

Basically second rep onwards on all sets were a grindy. First was alright on all sets. 87.5kg for 4x3 might be a struggle

Bench:
    60kg x5
    65kg x1

Off programme, lifting with a friend who I hadn't seen/lifted with in a while so thought screw it might as well do everything lol

Clean Pull:
    82.5kg 4x3

Deadlift:
    100kg x2
    120kg x1
    125kg x1

Again only did these due to company

Accessories: dips, bicep curls

ReputationRep:
    11/07/2017

C&J
    55kg 5x(1C+2J)

Snatch Pull
    45kg 5x5

Forgot to wear compression shorts and also wore normal track pants (which were also damp from walking in the train) so it was impossible to highpull without either ripping the fabric or my skin lol. Next time compression+basketball shorts only

Accessories: Lat pulldown

ReputationRep:
    12/07/2017

Front Squat:
    65kg x5
    72.5kg x1

Exploded lower back right side. Worst thing is I felt like an injury was coming. I don't think I can squat 3 times a week (with the given intensities on my programme) as a natty + on a calorific deficit (albeit a small one). I might need some Chinese and Russian "sports vitamins" jk lol gunna backsquat and frontsquat once per week from now on. This one isn't too bad, should clear up in a few days like the last one. Although I am doubting getting to a 100kg C&J by December/Jan if I keep getting injured ffs

ReputationRep:
    12/07/2017

Front Squat:
    65kg x5
    72.5kg x1

Exploded lower back right side. Worst thing is I felt like an injury was coming. I don't think I can squat 3 times a week (with the given intensities on my programme) as a natty + on a calorific deficit (albeit a small one). I might need some Chinese and Russian "sports vitamins" jk lol gunna backsquat and frontsquat once per week from now on. This one isn't too bad, should clear up in a few days like the last one. Although I am doubting getting to a 100kg C&J by December/Jan if I keep getting injured ffs
    do you do mobility work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UchihaMadara)
    do you do mobility work?
    Been doing quite a lot since this time last year, mainly in the hips and ankles. Upper back and shoulders have always been adequate but obvs I work on those too. I can now overhead squat a decent amount of weight (relative to my backsquat), having not been able to even do the bar at that point. Feet aren't as flat as before as well

I did also stretch for a while both today and yesterday. It was probs the snatch pulls that caused the extra tightness. Need to lower the volume to 3x5 probs
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You're more likely injured due to inflexibility and poor form than over training style injury at your strength level tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    You're more likely injured due to inflexibility and poor form than over training style injury at your strength level tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True but the coaches there didn't say anything about the pulls (or anything else I was doing)...Unless they're a bunch of snakes. My front squat form has deteriorated though I will admit. I'm only working at about ~80% too. Guess I need to do even more mobility work then

ReputationRep:
    14/07/2017

Lower back is recovering very quick. Still gunna lay off lower body stuff until next week just to be sure

Bench:
    60kg x5
    50kg x12
    47.5kg x4 CG paused
    45kg x5 CG paused

Accessories: curls, tricep extensions, lat pulldowns, chinups

ReputationRep:
    15/07/2017

OHP:
    30kg x5
    40kg x3
    45kg x3 (+2 rep PR)

Skipped the AMRAP sets cos I still need to do 5x5 bench (wouldn't usually OHP the day before doing 5x5 bench but missed it due to lb injury the other day). So glad I made that PR though cos if I didn't I would have lost so much motivation

Push press:
    40kg x6 (PR)
    50kg x2

Defo lost technique on these, need to do more

Accessories: chinups, 3k row

ReputationRep:
    16/07/2017

Bench:
    55kg 5x5

Not too bad

Hip thrust:
    60kg x some number of reps and sets, couldn't really figure out how to do these despite watching some youtube videos before. Feet kept sliding forward but I did get some decent volume in I guess. Not really feeling it tbh

Basically I need to "activate"/strengthen my glutes. In doing so I reckon my frontsquat form will improve lots. Trying to do lots of chinups/pullups too (I can't do many atm) but those will help too

Accessories: crunches, glute machine, 30 second rounds on the punch bag, sprinting out of the gym into Wimbledon to catch the championship point at the viewing party in the town center

ReputationRep:
    17/07/2017

Clean pull:
    75kg x3
    85kg 3x3

Easy af, pulling high enough to get underneath

Front Squat:
    50kg x2
    60kg 2x2

Off programme..Squat vs pull strength in my legs are really imbalanced, not sure why cos I don't do heavy deadlifts that often

Accessories: chinups (4x5)

ReputationRep:
    18/07/2017

C&J:
    55kg x1
    60kg 3x2 (PR)

Had one dodgy lockout/pressout but jerks were okay for the most part. Missed a clean somehow too - the area I was in was very cramped. This meant that on the sets where I did make the clean, if I had the bar in the front rack position after the clean and someone walked past, I'd have to wait before the jerk, meaning the bar was there for longer than needed. It didn't effect me too badly (apart from the missed clean) but it's not a situation I'd usually deal with. Good progress though, I've only done 60kg 3x1 before. Just need to fix up my front squat, hopefully I can get 75kg x3 next week and I'll be looking to make a PR in C&J in 2 weeks.

Snatch pull:
    40kg x3
    50kg 3x(3+1), 3 from floor, 1 hang

ReputationRep:
    19/07/2017

Lower back is 99% following last week's incident

Front Squat:
    50kg x3
    60kg x3
    65kg x3
    70kg x3
    75kg x1

Triples are the way forward. Form felt much better. The single was quick but decided not to go for more, will push it next week

Rack hold:
    80kg
    100kg
    110kg

OHP:
    30kg x5
    40kg x3
    45kg x3
    40kg x5

Accessories: 5x5 chinups, lat pulldown, BW GHD

ReputationRep:
    20/07/2017

Snatch:
    30kg 5x3

1 miss, felt kinda hard. Shins getting a beating. Will probably do 6/7x2 next week with 32.5kg or 35kg depending on how I feel

Snatch Balance:
    35kg 5x3

Absolutely destroyed my wrists, no idea how I did 65kg before wtf. Then again I only did singles back then...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.