Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sae.HH)
    Your gym reminds me of a show called Bob The Builder. I like it!
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    06/10/2017

Back Squat:
    50kg x2
    60kg x2
    70kg x2
    75kg 6x2

OHP:
    20kg x5
    30kg x3
    40kg x3
    45kg x2
    50kg x2
    42kg x7 (PR)

Basketball:
    4v3 ~40 mins

ReputationRep:
    08/10/2017

Push Press:
    40kg x3
    50kg x2
    55kg x1
    60kg x1
    65kg 2x0

Need to go back to volume work

Bench:
    40kg x3
    50kg x3
    60kg x3
    57kg x7

Even working to a conservative triple is kinda dangerous without a liftoff or a spot, think I'm just gunna work up to a 6-8rm contrary to what I was thinking of doing before. Really sucks ffs, extra fees and you'd think they'd at least invest in a proper bench

ReputationRep:
    09/10/2017

Front Squat:
    35kg x3
    45kg x2
    55kg x2
    65kg x2
    70kg 3x4
    70kg 3x2

Clean pull:
    60kg x3
    80kg x3
    90kg 3x4

ReputationRep:
    10/10/2017

C&J
    40kg (1+2)
    50kg (1+2)
    57kg 3x(1+3)

Accessories: BW dips - 3x8 + 1x10 + 1x12, reverse hyperextension +10kg

ReputationRep:
    11/10/2017

Back Squat:
    40kg x2
    50kg x2
    60kg x2
    70kg x2
    80kg x2
    90kg x1, failed second rep
    80kg 2x2

Was meant to do 90kg 3x2...Ngl I was falling asleep in the prior lecture so I really hope this is cos of fatigue (played 1.5hrs of basketball yesterday also). Need to eat more, 4/5 9ams a week is draining me so much

Snatch Pull:
    40kg x3
    50kg 3x3
    60kg x2
    60kg 6x2 + some from hang

ReputationRep:
    Lord knows whose genius idea it was to make 9 AM lectures a thing... such a pisstake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    Lord knows whose genius idea it was to make 9 AM lectures a thing... such a pisstake
    legit man, tbh I can deal with 1 or 2 but when its 4 in a row... Dunno how I hacked highschool and 6th form tbh

ReputationRep:
    13/10/2017

Finally managed to actually complete a session

Front Squat:
    40kg x3
    50kg x2
    60kg x2
    70kg 5x3

OHP:
    30kg x3
    40kg x3
    42kg x6

Clean deadlift (like a clean pull but less extension)
    40kg x3
    70kg x3
    90kg x2
    100kg x2
    110kg x1
    120kg x2

Accessories: pullups, chinups, pressups

ReputationRep:
    120 kg yh jheeze jheeze u beast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    120 kg yh jheeze jheeze u beast
    loool thanks

ReputationRep:
    15/10/2017

Push press:
    40kg x3
    50kg x3
    55kg x4 (PR)

Power clean + push Press:
    40kg x1
    50kg 2x1
    55kg x1

Wasn't even using an olympic bar

CG bench:
    40kg x8
    50kg x5
    57kg x6

Accessories: barbell curls, lateral raises

16/10/2017

Front Squat:
    40kg x3
    50kg x2
    62kg 6x3

Clean Pull:
    60kg x3
    80kg x3
    90kg x2
    100kg 2x4
    90kg x4 + shrugs

ReputationRep:
    18/10/2017

Front Squat:
    40kg x3
    50kg x2
    60kg x2
    70kg 3x3
    70kg x1 paused

Hang snatch:
    25kg x3
    30kg x3
    Couple sets of muscle snatches/overhead squats with the bar

Lower back froze up again, kept everything moving however rather than calling it quits. Paid flipping £3.50 for a return bus journey to the weightlifting soc gym so no way I was letting that go to waste ffs. Was meant to do 35kg 1x2 from the floor and hang but yeah

Power clean+jerk:
    40kg 2x1
    50kg 2x1
    55kg x1
    50kg x1(1+2), missed second jerk, right shoulder acting up too. Bizarre considering I can strict press 50kg and its only 67% of my max so there is no reason for me to be missing a jerk at this weight.

Uni has defeated me, current training program is too intense for my current timetable. Mentally and physically drained. Not sure how to proceed, I'm fairly certain I won't total 100/70 in C&J/Snatch by the end of 2017/Jan 2018 so maybe I just need to take a hiatus from strength based training for a while, I dunno. I can only remember 1 maybe 2 sessions where I've actually enjoyed myself in the past 2 months

Defo booking a sports massage at some point next week

ReputationRep:
    Mayne I'd strongly consider taking a week off. You don't want to reach the point of burnout...

ReputationRep:
    yh its important to do something you enjoy....the best program is the one you enjoy and can stick to long-term if your goals are in those two movements, why not just focus on those two lifts only with some necessary rehab stuff - people call this minimalistic but it might just do the trick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    Mayne I'd strongly consider taking a week off. You don't want to reach the point of burnout...
    Yeah I'm going home this weekend so I'll be forced to take some time off, hopefully I come back with a clearer mind. I dunno maybe its just the gym I go to as well, its stress having to wait so long for a squat rack which is probably half the reason I cba to go these days

(Original post by UchihaMadara)
    yh its important to do something you enjoy....the best program is the one you enjoy and can stick to long-term if your goals are in those two movements, why not just focus on those two lifts only with some necessary rehab stuff - people call this minimalistic but it might just do the trick
    Problem with the olympic lifts (more so in the C&J than snatch) is that they're limited by how much you can squat (in my case - it varies depending on training style and length, e.g. some people are limited by their pulling strength, some people overhead stability etc). I.e. I won't progress much in C&J unless my front squat also increases. This is why you can't really increase numbers in the C&J simply by doing loads of C&J's, there's not enough volume in there to efficiently develop leg strength. It's like only playing games of basketball or football without practicing individual skills e.g. shooting or passing. I think removing some stuff off the programme might be a good idea though in terms of aiding recovery

Maybe rather than trying to be too meticulous over percentages and all the other complicated stuff I could go in and literally just lift whatever feels good and try to have fun for a week or so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TajwarC)
    Problem with the olympic lifts (more so in the C&J than snatch) is that they're limited by how much you can squat (in my case - it varies depending on training style and length, e.g. some people are limited by their pulling strength, some people overhead stability etc). I.e. I won't progress much in C&J unless my front squat also increases. This is why you can't really increase numbers in the C&J simply by doing loads of C&J's, there's not enough volume in there to efficiently develop leg strength. It's like only playing games of basketball or football without practicing individual skills e.g. shooting or passing. I think removing some stuff off the programme might be a good idea though in terms of aiding recovery

Maybe rather than trying to be too meticulous over percentages and all the other complicated stuff I could go in and literally just lift whatever feels good and try to have fun for a week or so
    Yeah I get this, even with the powerlifts the idea of bringing up weakpoints is very common. I guess there is no need to go as extreme as I suggested, but like you said removing stuff to aid recovery and make the sessions more fun is probably ideal. You could even just do 1 big lift a day depending on your frequency. Also %'s are totally unnecessary, best lifters eventually go by feel.

ReputationRep:
    22/10/2017

Visited home so had access to a proper bench (membership at London gym still active for rest of month)

Bench:
    40kg x5
    50kg x3
    55kg x3
    60kg x3
    65kg x3
    67.5kg x1
    70kg x1
    72.5kg x0, no spot but managed to bail on the lower support

Surprised I can still bench 70kg for a relatively easy single, not sure what happened at 72.5 but most likely absence of liftoff/spot along with not benching "heavy" for a couple weeks, caused the failure.

Accessories: bicep curls, tricep pushdowns, lat pulldown (V bar), reverse hyper extension

ReputationRep:
    have you tried reverse pyramid training? i.e. starting with your heaviest weight first then working your way down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    have you tried reverse pyramid training? i.e. starting with your heaviest weight first then working your way down.
    Kinda - I do just a pyramid thing (basically go up in small increments then drop set) for accessories like cable tricep pushdowns/cable curls almost always.

I like it for hypertrophy but I'd never do it for a compound because I'd go to snap city pretty quickly if I went straight into my training max for that day, without warming up. And for me personally, I do compounds on the basis of building strength and not muscle, so extra sets after doing heavy work is unnecessary and increases recovery time.

Only time I might do that is if I do close grip bench straight after benching, meaning I wouldn't need to warmup, so I could go straight into the heaviest weight and work down

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.