05/04/2017

Pretty crappy workout, everything felt heavy. I think I have lost my gains

Backsquat:
    65kg 5x5
    50kg x5 paused

Clean pull:
    60kg 5x3

Accessories: pulldowns, hammer row machine thing, cable curls

Lower back isn't feeling great, ankle is fine for squats and pulls but can't do certain stretches so mobility on my left side is gone. It's times like this when I wonder why I didn't just stick to pursuing aesthetics lol. But I will trust the process...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TajwarC)
    05/04/2017

Pretty crappy workout, everything felt heavy. I think I have lost my gains

Backsquat:
    65kg 5x5
    50kg x5 paused

Clean pull:
    60kg 5x3

Accessories: pulldowns, hammer row machine thing, cable curls

Lower back isn't feeling great, ankle is fine for squats and pulls but can't do certain stretches so mobility on my left side is gone. It's times like this when I wonder why I didn't just stick to pursuing aesthetics lol. But I will trust the process...
    f aesthetics, you ain't lost your gains, your CNS is just like WTF :,)

ReputationRep:
    08/04/2017

Feeling better, legs aren't as tight.

Back Squat:
    75kg x5
    60kg x5 paused

Lost 10kg on my 5 rep max but I anticipate I should get back there pretty quickly. Adjusted my stance as it seems my left leg isn't proportionate to my right - keeping my left foot about 1cm infront of my right and a little more pronated outwards feels much better. Also widened my grip on the bar by about 2cm on either side of the bar.

Bench:
    55kg 5x5

Accessories: BW dips, cable curls, leg extension and curl (in hope to feel the muscles more, I haven't felt any DOMS in my legs for a very long time).

ReputationRep:
    10/04/2017

Good session, many many PRs. Starting to develop some measurable upper body strength

Bench:
    50kg x5
    60kg x8 (big PR, didn't even have a liftoff)
    65kg x4 (PR, probs burned out from the previous set so maybe could have got more)
    50kg x8 paused close grip

Push press:
    40kg x5
    45kg x5
    50kg x3
    55kg x1 (PR)
    40kg x6 (strict, PR)

Accessories: variety of tricep extensions

ReputationRep:
    11/04/2017

Back Squat:
    67.5kg 5x5 - felt easier towards the end

Clean pull:
    65kg 5x3

Threw in a couple snatch highpulls and muscle snatches while warming up with the bar for the clean pull. Snatch pull is actually working now.

Accessories: preacher curl, dumbbell curl, lat pulldown, BW chinups

ReputationRep:
    12/04/2017

Front Squat:
    50kg x3
    60kg x3
    65kg x3
    70kg x3

Front rack hold:
    100kg 5-10 seconds
    110kg 5 seconds
    120kg 5 seconds

CNS was in for a real treat today, felt fully rekt after this.

Accessories: BW chinups, plate loaded seated row ting.

ReputationRep:
    13/04/2017

Trained with the coach at my gym who runs the WL club. Starting to get to "grips" with my new snatch grip o.o

Power snatch from hang (at hip) with highpull complex:
    35kg x1
    37.5kg x1
    40kg x1

Haven't power snatched since I first learnt to do it about 4 months ago so this felt strange... Helped my technique a lot though so I'll be doing more of these

Strict Overhead squat:
    30kg x5 with snatch grip

Still don't really see the benefit of training the eccentric part of the OHS specifically for WL but as my biggest problem was gripping the bar overhead with such a wide grip, this helped a lot to get used to it. Will go back to snatch balancing as soon as I get back to uni

BTN snatch grip press
    15kg for many many reps, more of a cooldown/recovery aiding exercise. Defo doing these once a week from now on

Ended with a couple box jumps (made sure to take off my WL shoes though lol)

Just need to train snatch pulls from the floor for the next few weeks and I should see improvements come along quite quickly with the full snatch.

ReputationRep:
    15/04/2017

Pretty much back on track. Ankle is about 95%.

Back Squat:
    80kg x5
    60kg x5 long paused

Felt some mobility gains going on

Bench:
    57.5kg 5x5

Got kinda difficult towards the end but thats to be expected after doing heavy squats

Accessories: side/normal plank superset with hanging leg raises, cable curls.

ReputationRep:
    17/04/2017

Bench:
    50kg x3
    60kg x3
    65kg x5*
    67.5kg x1 (not counting second rep*)
    65kg x5*
    60kg x3

* Incompetent spotters. Only true PR here was 67.5kg x1 which matches my all time PR. Bench felt a bit off today anyway, maybe because I reduced volume working up to the max 1x5 set, possibly lacking hip drive etc. Regardless, I am in dire need of a competent spotter. I do always try to explain "I need a liftoff but straight after take your hands off the bar and only help if I call for it" but no one seems to understand lol.

Going back to uni next week so benching twice a week will be impossible. So I'm just going to elongate the periodisation over 2 weeks, i.e. 1 week is the heavy 1x5 set and the next will be 5x5 at 90% of the heavy 1x5. My bench gains have been decent over the past month so I'm not complaining too much.

Push press:
    40kg x5
    45kg x5
    50kg x5 (PR)
    55kg x2 (PR)
    60kg - X (ended up being a jerk drive which itself is a separate exercise, might do these tomorrow)
    40kg x6.5 strict, went for 7th but didn't grind it as it felt bad in my lower back.

Pulls:
    60kg 3x5 deadlift (just to engage hams a bit)
    60kg 5x1 snatch deadlift

Snatch deadlifts are incredibly difficult especially when the barbell has flat knurling on the ends...

Accessories: variations of tricep extensions

Haven't uploaded a video in a while so here's this

ReputationRep:

* Incompetent spotters. Only true PR here was 67.5kg x1 which matches my all time PR. Bench felt a bit off today anyway, maybe because I reduced volume working up to the max 1x5 set, possibly lacking hip drive etc. Regardless, I am in dire need of a competent spotter. I do always try to explain "I need a liftoff but straight after take your hands off the bar and only help if I call for it" but no one seems to understand lol.
    Le struggle G, best way to do this is make friends at the gym with some of the regulars. Then when you ask them to spot you can REALLY emphasise don't touch the ****ing bar unless I fail or signal. I just have a specific bunch of people I ask now although it's mainly always the same guy who I'm becoming very good friends with fast, one's who don't understand even when I tell them are blacklisted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sae.HH)
    Le struggle G, best way to do this is make friends at the gym with some of the regulars. Then when you ask them to spot you can REALLY emphasise don't touch the ****ing bar unless I fail or signal. I just have a specific bunch of people I ask now although it's mainly always the same guy who I'm becoming very good friends with fast, one's who don't understand even when I tell them are blacklisted
    blacklisted lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I only let people who bench properly to spot me, that's like 3 people in my gym

ReputationRep:
    Yeah luckily I have a few friends who lift at uni so I can be a bit more aggressive in making sure they don't touch the damn bar during the spot, without coming across as a prick lol

ReputationRep:
    18/04/2017

Back Squat:
    72.5kg 5x5

No complaints here really, bar placement slightly further down is better for me.

Clean pull:
    60kg 3x2
    70kg 3x3
    80kg x3
    90kg x1 (PR)
    100kg x1 (PR)

REMEMBER TO SHRUG (Personal cue)

Accessories: lat pulldown with different grips

• TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Are those weightlifting shoes or trainers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Are those weightlifting shoes or trainers?
    Weightlifting shoes with a standard heel (35mm)

ReputationRep:
    19/04/2017

Front Squat:
    60kg x3
    65kg x3
    70kg x3
    75kg x3

Front rack hold:
    100kg 8s
    110kg 5s 2 sets
    120kg 5s
    60kg many many seconds, some jerk drives too

Accessories: dumbell and cable curls

ReputationRep:
    22/04/2017

Final session at London gym went good. Looking forward to returning to regular weightlifting.

Bench:
    60kg 5x5 (PR)
    40kg x8 CG
    40kg x8 CG
    40kg x12 CG

Quite happy with my bench/push press gains over Easter. Shoutout to programming lol.

Accessories: cable curls/pushdowns

ReputationRep:
    23/04/2017

Oh Werksan training barbells how I have missed you...

Back Squat:
    70kg x3
    80kg x3
    85kg x5

Didn't feel as though I'd finish the final set because 80kg felt heavy af in the warmup

Clean and Jerk:

Mixture of power cleans, split jerks and squat jerks (surprised I can still do these) up to 50kg. Everything feels much lighter. Dem deload gains

Accessories: GHD 3x8(+10kg), BTN press 5x8 15kg I think

ReputationRep:
    Shoutout to programming lol.
    lol :,)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.