Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The price you see is not the price you pay. Once you have booked they are reluctant to state the size an weight of the second carry on small bag, then they try to extort money out of you by pre booking a seat if you pre book a seat (2 of us return £40.00) you can print boarding passes 30 days prior to check in, if you do not pre book a seat you can only print the boarding pass 4 days before check in .if you leave it to the blood line you get free pre-allocated seats the catch is you can only print your boarding passes when you are at your destination4 days prior to check in (who takes a printer on holiday with then so when you print your boarding passes in the UK to get the return boarding pass you have to pre-book a seat.

This is the first an last time I will use this carrier for a holiday flight, With the amount of uncertainty, time, poor communication and taking into account all the extra charges it is as cheap to use a superior airline and get a bit of service

ReputationRep:
    Thats why you read the small print, how do you think they make so much money with upfront costs so low

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casisalive)
    Thats why you read the small print, how do you think they make so much money with upfront costs so low
    Y

There is no small print to say boarding passes come with a condition that unless you pre booked a seats for out and inbound flights at a cost, until you have purchased the flight voucher and go to print out the boarding pass, then you have a choice of buying a seat out and in bound or waiting 4 days prior to check in(which use to be seven days) to get a pre allocated seat out, but not for the return leg, and you have to get access to a printer on holiday to book your boarding pass 4 days before your you are due to return..

If the up fronts costs are low then you should be told in the SMALL PRINT you need access to a printer on holiday to print your return boarding pass if you choose not to pre book a seat.

This has nothing to do with low cost up front prices but the integrity of Ryanair or as they have clearly demonstrated to me the lack of it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm generally fond of Ryanair. I've flown with them many times and never had much to complain about. And most of the prices I paid were a pittance. But if you're not aware of ryanair's business model, you will get stung.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    I'm generally fond of Ryanair. I've flown with them many times and never had much to complain about. And most of the prices I paid were a pittance. But if you're not aware of ryanair's business model, you will get stung.
    I do not consider the skin on your bones and a rucksack a business model.People were irate about the luggage surcharges when the bag fitted into the guide box and the check in staff said it did not. On board food was poor and expensive, duty free (which all airlines misrepresent as it does not contain HMRC duty plus the VAT element so it is not duty free) was in line with major airlines and airport duty free, that was if it was available, and the seats are cramped.Ryanair is cheap if you want to use it for a weekend break, any longer than that you are penalised, By the time I took all the bolt ons into account it was a few quid less than flying in comfort with a major airline and 10 times as much grief.Like they say yer payz yer money and take yer choice.

OTS

ReputationRep:
    You can get the ryan air app and get your boarding pass on there..
    otherwise... I have never ever ever in my life come across a hotel that doesn't have a printer and has refused to print off my boarding pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by on the square)
    The price you see is not the price you pay. Once you have booked they are reluctant to state the size an weight of the second carry on small bag, then they try to extort money out of you by pre booking a seat if you pre book a seat (2 of us return £40.00) you can print boarding passes 30 days prior to check in, if you do not pre book a seat you can only print the boarding pass 4 days before check in .if you leave it to the blood line you get free pre-allocated seats the catch is you can only print your boarding passes when you are at your destination4 days prior to check in (who takes a printer on holiday with then so when you print your boarding passes in the UK to get the return boarding pass you have to pre-book a seat.

This is the first an last time I will use this carrier for a holiday flight, With the amount of uncertainty, time, poor communication and taking into account all the extra charges it is as cheap to use a superior airline and get a bit of service
    The second carry on small bag is undefined yes, but as long as you don't bring a suitcase, and are able to fit the bag under your seat you'll be fine.

Who prebooks a seat on Ryanair? You get allocated seats for free!

Boarding passes can be accessed via an app, or you can just print them out like 99% of other people

And that's lies about the boarding pass - it was 48 hours before departure. Another user has mentioned that hotels and hostels ALWAYS have printers. Just email it to them and they'll print it out.

The time expended reading about ryanair's quirks, far outweighs the cost saved by spending 100 quid more on a single flight.

I do not consider the skin on your bones and a rucksack a business model.People were irate about the luggage surcharges when the bag fitted into the guide box and the check in staff said it did not. On board food was poor and expensive, duty free (which all airlines misrepresent as it does not contain HMRC duty plus the VAT element so it is not duty free) was in line with major airlines and airport duty free, that was if it was available, and the seats are cramped.Ryanair is cheap if you want to use it for a weekend break, any longer than that you are penalised, By the time I took all the bolt ons into account it was a few quid less than flying in comfort with a major airline and 10 times as much grief.Like they say yer payz yer money and take yer choice.

OTS
    Seats are the same as any other budget airline.
    Who the hell buys food for a short haul budget flight. Just buy it beforehand and shove it in your bag.
    duty free was available on the ryanair flights I've been on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    You can get the ryan air app and get your boarding pass on there..
    otherwise... I have never ever ever in my life come across a hotel that doesn't have a printer and has refused to print off my boarding pass.
    Yes you can get the Ryanair app if you have a smart phone and all of the foreign hotels I have visited give you wi fi as they are concerned you will download a virus into their system and yes I saw the smart phone app in use and half an hour later they printed a boarding pass at the gate there are also issues with connectivity via foreign ISP's hand shaking with UK ISP's

OTS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    The second carry on small bag is undefined yes, but as long as you don't bring a suitcase, and are able to fit the bag under your seat you'll be fine.

Who prebooks a seat on Ryanair? You get allocated seats for free!

Boarding passes can be accessed via an app, or you can just print them out like 99% of other people

And that's lies about the boarding pass - it was 48 hours before departure. Another user has mentioned that hotels and hostels ALWAYS have printers. Just email it to them and they'll print it out.

The time expended reading about ryanair's quirks, far outweighs the cost saved by spending 100 quid more on a single flight

Seats are the same as any other budget airline.
    Who the hell buys food for a short haul budget flight. Just buy it beforehand and shove it in your bag.
    duty free was available on the ryanair flights I've been on.
    Who books in advance for outbound and inbound flights? Answer - smart people book in advance and ensure they have a return boarding pass with them and do not blindly rely on unreliable access to the internet via wifi and gsm. I question your statistics of 99% and Ryanair state free check in without the need to purchase a seat is available from 4 days before the flight which is fine for a weekend break but for anything longer it also stipulates that if you wish to get your boarding pass both ways you have to buy a seat or wait in a foreign country until 4 days before the flight and take pot luck whether your device works or the hotel is good enough to attempt printing a boarding pass for you. My flight was 4 hours, for an hour more airtime I can fly across the pond to New York. I do not consider 4 hours a short haul. To fly from Manchester to London is a short haul.
    OTS

OTS

ReputationRep:
    Who books in advance for outbound and inbound flights? Answer - smart people book in advance and ensure they have a return boarding pass with them and do not blindly rely on unreliable access to the internet via wifi and gsm. I question your statistics of 99% and Ryanair state free check in without the need to purchase a seat is available from 4 days before the flight which is fine for a weekend break but for anything longer it also stipulates that if you wish to get your boarding pass both ways you have to buy a seat or wait in a foreign country until 4 days before the flight and take pot luck whether your device works or the hotel is good enough to attempt printing a boarding pass for you. My flight was 4 hours, for an hour more airtime I can fly across the pond to New York. I do not consider 4 hours a short haul. To fly from Manchester to London is a short haul.
    OTS

OTS
    What? I said that people book in advance, but they don't choose specific seats on the plane as that incurs cost.

75% of statistics are made up.

4 hours is definitely short haul, compared to a lot of the world. Is it really that hard to have your boarding pass on your phone? You don't even need Wi-FI once you've accessed it once, as you just take a screenshot of it.

I think you're blowing the boarding pass arrangements way out of proportion.

ReputationRep:
    It's ok if you have a smartphone but if not it is problematic. Professional airlines give you your boarding passes at check in at the airport, none of this cheapo rubbish where you have to download documents. A girl I met over here spent all yesterday trying to get a screenshot on her phone. The hotel wasn't particularly helpful and could not log on to Ryanair and neither could I on my laptop. I am just wondering what is going to happen to her when she arrives at check in. I believe if you have issues and cannot present a screenshot or hard copy the fee at the airport is £45.
    OTS

ReputationRep:
    There are internet cafe, libraries, public places, cafes all with wi fi.

I am sure if you have 4 days to go retrieve your boarding pass you would.

It's ok if you have a smartphone but if not it is problematic. Professional airlines give you your boarding passes at check in at the airport, none of this cheapo rubbish where you have to download documents. A girl I met over here spent all yesterday trying to get a screenshot on her phone. The hotel wasn't particularly helpful and could not log on to Ryanair and neither could I on my laptop. I am just wondering what is going to happen to her when she arrives at check in. I believe if you have issues and cannot present a screenshot or hard copy the fee at the airport is £45.
    OTS

ReputationRep:
    Well I hope so for her sake although she is going to email me and let me know what happens. As for me, I shall not be slumming it back to the UK by Ryanair. I have been seconded by a major US company who are paying all my expenses so I can continue my research in one of their laboratories. I would never consider using Ryanair again although in the UK I have used low cost carriers such as KLM and Flybe who I have found far superior to Ryanair. Perhaps the title is a give away, the difference between low cost and budget. I wish you every success in your studies and hope you can find gainful employment at the end in the UK should you wish it.
    OTS

ReputationRep:
    Well I hope so for her sake although she is going to email me and let me know what happens. As for me, I shall not be slumming it back to the UK by Ryanair. I have been seconded by a major US company who are paying all my expenses so I can continue my research in one of their laboratories. I would never consider using Ryanair again although in the UK I have used low cost carriers such as KLM and Flybe who I have found far superior to Ryanair. Perhaps the title is a give away, the difference between low cost and budget. I wish you every success in your studies and hope you can find gainful employment at the end in the UK should you wish it.
    OTS
    Couldn't she ask someone else to log in to her account and send a picture via MMS?

Of course, if you're being seconded, and they're reasonable with expenses, by all means fly with KLM and Flybe. They are superior, but you get what you pay for.
    Indeed, the distinction you have drawn is apt.
    Thank you for your kind comment.
    Did I tempt you stay on this forum, haha?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Couldn't she ask someone else to log in to her account and send a picture via MMS?

Of course, if you're being seconded, and they're reasonable with expenses, by all means fly with KLM and Flybe. They are superior, but you get what you pay for.
    Indeed, the distinction you have drawn is apt.
    Thank you for your kind comment.
    Did I tempt you stay on this forum, haha?
    I apologise for my tardiness in reverting both the GSM and internet have not been accessable for some 24 hours. Perhaps she was smart enough to solicit the counsel from others for the return leg of her voyage.

No you have not put me off the forum. However I took the liberty of viewing your profile. I was pleased to see you are a member of the Law Society and trust you will be or are studying this subject. If so I hope you will be fortunate enough to be afforded a pupillage at one of the great Inns in London, take silk and obtain higher access to the judicial system. Perhaps you will have the good fortuneto become a Law Lord, at that stage there is no longer the balance of probabilities but pure law and no shades of grey, as with my studies. It is time we had Judges and Law Lords use common sense and not rely on precedents. I do not put a profile up as in my early years of study I was approached by the MOD and am under the Official Secrets Act.

OTS

ReputationRep:
    This thread got a bit deep.

Love Ryanair. Twenty-eight countries flyable to from Stansted for peanuts.

ReputationRep:
    Must say I'm a Ryanair fan. I don't mind prices of food etc as even if you pay for food total is usually less than BA. Never had a problem with the bag sizes. I also like their efficiency - they are hardly ever late (unlike BA), they don't lose your hold bags if you have (unlike BA) and the food is actually nice and you get a choice (unlike BA).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.