Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My dysfunctional family refuse to admit that they are dysfunctional Watch

Announcements

I grew up thinking that this was normal, because suggesting otherwise was taboo. My parents are always fighting and being cruel to each other. The very thought of them being affectionate is weird and makes me cringe.

They are still married. My dad works abroad though, so I imagine that they are not divorced yet for the sake of convenience. He is coming to visit us soon and my mum has prepared the sofa for him to sleep on. He doesn't know that he will be sleeping on the sofa yet though, so it's going to be one hell of an ugly fight.

I'm stuck here until I finish paying off a debt, but I hate it. The environment is so toxic that I just wish that they would get the divorce that Mum keeps banging on about already. Has anyone here lived through a dysfunctional family situation? How do you cope with it without going insane?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I grew up thinking that this was normal, because suggesting otherwise was taboo. My parents are always fighting and being cruel to each other. The very thought of them being affectionate is weird and makes me cringe.

They are still married. My dad works abroad though, so I imagine that they are not divorced yet for the sake of convenience. He is coming to visit us soon and my mum has prepared the sofa for him to sleep on. He doesn't know that he will be sleeping on the sofa yet though, so it's going to be one hell of an ugly fight.

I'm stuck here until I finish paying off a debt, but I hate it. The environment is so toxic that I just wish that they would get the divorce that Mum keeps banging on about already. Has anyone here lived through a dysfunctional family situation? How do you cope with it without going insane?
    I have lived through a dysfunctional family situation. The ironic paradox is that they will never admit that the whole situation is messed up because "every family has its issues". I don't think my parents should've got married initially but they won't leave eachother out of convience but I think they also need eachother in some weird way even though they both say they'd be better off without eachother. sigh.

I've learnt you just have to learn to live with it and continue to know what is wrong about the situation but work on your own self progress and try not to repeat the mistakes you've seen. Everyone gets ****ed up to some extent by their childhood and for the most part you just have to do damage control and get a good distance away from the toxicity asap.

Good Luck X

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.