Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Exam Stress (particularly sleeping with exam stress) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Recently I have experienced my mind being taken over by the stress of exams. On some school nights ,recently, I have got to sleep at 5 in the morning after lying there with nothing but my mind creating a checklist of a million things that need done in order to pass my exams and in my mind I feel like I have no time what so ever. I know that the outcomes of exams don't result in the end of the world and there is no pressure from my family, but I still feel this overwhelming feeling of anxiety and stress when it comes to exams and I have no idea what to do about it.....????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessica1874)
    Recently I have experienced my mind being taken over by the stress of exams. On some school nights ,recently, I have got to sleep at 5 in the morning after lying there with nothing but my mind creating a checklist of a million things that need done in order to pass my exams and in my mind I feel like I have no time what so ever. I know that the outcomes of exams don't result in the end of the world and there is no pressure from my family, but I still feel this overwhelming feeling of anxiety and stress when it comes to exams and I have no idea what to do about it.....????
    Aw don't stress about it. You'll only get ill if you don't sleep enough and stress too much. Plus they say your brain is much better and remembering I feel you've slept well. You've done all you can now all you have to do is just go and do your best in the exam and whatever the result you know it's all you could have done.

ReputationRep:
    I was the same during my exams so I know how annoying it is when on top of all the extra stress you can't even sleep have you tried writing down the things that worry you before you go to bed? I've found that by doing this your brain finds it easier to let those things go because you know you won't forget them. Meditating regularly can also be pretty helpful.

ReputationRep:
    If you stess,you need to identify what exactly is making you stress.
    It seems like you've donethis -not having enough time you cover the million things you have to do
    What I would advice is to prioritise. So whatever is the most important, most likely to come up, go over that first/do that first.
    Forget the small things for now. Make sure to do the main and big important bits. Set a rough timetable to make sure its covered. (Key here is not to make a strict timetable as that cn make you more stressed)
    The mini things can be given a quick glance, and re-read when and if there is more time.
    If you really feel out of time for exams, one of the best things are past papers. Do them, any question you don't know look up the answer, and if you have time, read your notes on that topic.
    Befire you go to sleep, think jow much you've done, not how much is left. And have some sort of plan for the next day, so you don't keep thinking whats left to do.
    Hope that makes sense and helps.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you're talking about how you feel. It's a cliche but sometimes a problem shared is a problem halved and saying it outloud and hearing responses will help you realise that it's not as important as it feels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessica1874)
    Exams are not designed as traps to fail you. The people who create the exam are willing you to succeed, exams give you the best chance to shine, to show that you are developing in a subject area and keen to succeed. What nobody tells you as they teach you is that no student could know, or would ever be expected to know 100% of the material on a course. In most cases, you will already know at least 50% of what you need to remember as you begin to revise, and you only need to aim to know about 70-80% of the material for most courses. The credit will come from how you use your knowledge. Just think of exams as a challenge and your chance to show off how much you know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.