Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people say that a Psychology degree is useless but what if it comes from Oxford? How much (if at all) does it improve employability? I want to go into Neuromarkering/Marketing and I don't know if it would be better to do a Psych degree at Oxford or a Business/marketing degree a true some other uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaBanana1029)
    Lots of people say that a Psychology degree is useless but what if it comes from Oxford? How much (if at all) does it improve employability? I want to go into Neuromarkering/Marketing and I don't know if it would be better to do a Psych degree at Oxford or a Business/marketing degree a true some other uni?
    I presume you hold an offer from Oxford?

Ask yourself why you're doing a degree.
    If your doing it just to get a job, then fine, go off and do a buisiness/marketing degree.

To get into oxford you've clearly shown a great passion for psychology, follow that passion dude. If you really love your subject then don't concern yourself with how it's going to look on your CV in 4 years time. Any degree from Oxford will be highly regarded my employers, especially when it demonstrates competence in transferable skills.

You clearly know deep down you want to go to Oxford but are seeking reassurance. Well, here it is! Follow your passion and dream

ReputationRep:
    It is not a useless degree. Its a rigorous scientific course from the best uni in the country. Employers will 100% value that.

Tbh I'm not aware that psychology is considered a useless degree in general. The A-level is not as rigorous as the more traditional subjects, but at degree level its different was my impression. Look at the employability rates on unistats and compare it to equivalent arts degrees - that will give you a better impression.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.