Choosing a firm offer: Nottingham vs Manchester watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Nottingham or Manchester for Pharmacy
    Manchester
    67.74%
    Nottingham
    32.26%

ReputationRep:
    I really need help choosing between Nottingham and Manchester as my firm choice I've been thinking about it for a couple weeks but I'm still not 100% sure. I like Manchester better as a city (I'm quite familiar with it) and it's closer to home but Nottingham has a better reputation in Pharmacy (plus it offers opportunities to study abroad) and nicer accommodation (although it is a bit more expensive). Can anybody offer any help?

Ps. They both gave me the same offer, AAB for Pharmacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabe_lawyer)
    I really need help choosing between Nottingham and Manchester as my firm choice I've been thinking about it for a couple weeks but I'm still not 100% sure. I like Manchester better as a city (I'm quite familiar with it) and it's closer to home but Nottingham has a better reputation in Pharmacy (plus it offers opportunities to study abroad) and nicer accommodation (although it is a bit more expensive). Can anybody offer any help?

Ps. They both gave me the same offer, AAB for Pharmacy.
    You sound more towards Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You should go for Nottingham, going to a uni because it's closer and a nicer city aren't very good reasons. You also sound like you would prefer Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historicallytes)
    going to a uni because it's closer and a nicer city aren't very good reasons.
    ?? when choosing between universities that are much of a muchness, as here, those would seem obviously sensible considerations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    ?? when choosing between universities that are much of a muchness, as here, those would seem obviously sensible considerations.
    If everything else is equal, then yes. But in this case, Nottingham seems preferred in all other ways (except money), so these reasons wouldn't be the best to choose Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if OP is into shopping, nightlife, restaurants, theatres, bars etc. Manchester would win hands down.

ReputationRep:
    True. In the end, OP should choose - it's an important decision and all depends on what things OP values most.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know anything about Nottingham as a city? I think that's the main part that's holding me back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabe_lawyer)
    Does anybody know anything about Nottingham as a city? I think that's the main part that's holding me back
    Shottingham Shottingham Shottingham

If you go to Shottingham make sure to wear a bulletproof vest

Spoiler:
    Show

banter

ReputationRep:
    Bump. Any extra opinions?

ReputationRep:
    I grew up in manc so I'm probably biased, but it's scruffy as hell and generally not a nice area at all. My dad actually told me I wasn't allowed to apply there as he works in the GMP (Greater Manchester Police) and sees the kind of stuff that goes on. Nottingham has always seemed like a nicer area.. But then as I've only been on holiday maybe I've only seen the nice parts? Long story short I'd go for Nottingham but there's always pros and cons of each side

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...?i=1185&i=1302

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...y+%26+Pharmacy

ReputationRep:
    One of my good friends is at Notts uni right now and she ADORES it! She's there for nursing.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.