Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am just wondering If I can have some clear advice on eligibility please.

I am a mature student currently studying an English degree. I have a place on a Secondary PGCE for 2017/2018 and I am on course for at least a 2/1 so I will be eligible for the £9000 bursary.
    My husband works but is on a low wage, earning approx. £19600 annually. I work doing casual work for an agency and earn less than £2000 a year. We have two children but we only receive tax credits and child benefit for the younger one. Our youngest child will be 14 when I begin my PGCE and our eldest will be 20 - she also works part time and earns approx. £5000 at present, however, she is starting an undergraduate Law degree in September so she will be applying for Student Finance. She intends to live away from home (we are not in London), but this is not certain just yet.

Please can I be advised on whether I will be eligible for any further funding in addition to my bursary to help with supporting our daughter too, and what aspects of our income/our daughters income will be taken into account on both applications?

Many thanks,

Colleen
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi csdodd80

If you are doing a full time PGCE course that leads to qualified teacher status you can apply for the tuition fee loan, maintenance loan and supplementary grants such as childcare and parents learning allowance. You will be able to apply for the tuition fee loan and maintenance loan without being income assessed. If you supply your husbands details we can income assess it and you may be entitled to a higher loan and the supplementary grants, it will be calculated based on your circumstances.

You can try the student finance calculator to get an approximate amount of what you may be entitled to: http://bit.ly/1eWRiXJ

The best thing is to apply as soon as the applications are released, submit all information and we can provide the exact amount. If you change your mind you can cancel it.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Pamela,

Thank you for the information.

Can I just ask - will they take my bursary into account as a form of income?

Many thanks,

Colleen
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi again

No the bursary will not be taken as a form of income.
    The only income of yours that is considered would be:

• Bank or Building Society Gross Interest
    • Property Lettings or Rent
    • Dividends from investments/shares/unit trusts
    • Trusts or Sponsorships
    • Pensions
    • Any other payment received for attending the course (This does not include University Bursaries).

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    That is fantastic Pamela,

Thank you so much for your help.

Kind regards

Colleen

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.