Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Usually, film releases are staggered, coming out in the cinemas first, followed by bluray/DVD release months later, then onto TV and streaming services later still.

There have been experiments in the past with some films getting a 'simultaneous release' on more than one or all of these platforms at once - the advantage is that people can choose how they want to watch these films, whereas the obvious disadvantage is that cinemas in particular lose out on their main, exclusive window for profit.

What do you think of this idea, in general? Would you still go to the cinema if you could watch any film at home on the same premier date, or would the big screen still be your first choice for new movies?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Personally, as I live in the middle of nowhere, the option to watch legally online or to order a bluray would make things much easier than having to travel hours out of the county to the nearest cinema and back again. :p: But then again I've never been that desperate to watch films as soon as they come out, so waiting a few months is fine with me. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Personally, as I live in the middle of nowhere, the option to watch legally online or to order a bluray would make things much easier than having to travel hours out of the county to the nearest cinema and back again. :p: But then again I've never been that desperate to watch films as soon as they come out, so waiting a few months is fine with me. :yes:
    Do you live in the USA or Australia?.
    Because nowehere else it's "hours" drive to the nearest cinema.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brunuk.)
    Do you live in the USA or Australia?.
    Because nowehere else it's "hours" drive to the nearest cinema.
    I don't drive; it'd be a 40 minute walk to the village to catch a bus to a larger town, to catch another bus to the cinema. :yes: Still over an hour's journey even if I got a lift for that first part.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    ...any thoughts that aren't related to how far away from civilization I live?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I think for some films seeing it in the cinema really enhances the experience. For ones I'm not so bothered about and desperate to see, I don't mind waiting until it comes to a streaming service. I don't really buy DVDs or anything anymore though. I think if I wanted to see a film as soon as it came out, I'd still choose the cinema

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.