Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I am a 20-year-old undergraduate student from Germany and applied for different universities in the UK for a Master of Science in the field of finance/accounting and finance.
    I received (besides some other universities, that I already excluded) offers from:

Durham: Finance (Accounting and Finance)
    Cranfield: Finance & Management
    Lancaster: Accounting and Financial Management

However, I am not really aware of the different British universities and its prestige in the UK, and my decision where to apply based more or less on Rankings and forum entries.

Currently, I tend to accept my offer for Durham, due to its overall great reputation and the little fees compared to other institutions.

However, it would be great to have some impressions from your side, therefore I am happy for any recommendation!

Thanks,
    Thomas
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eunom16)
    Hey Guys,

I am a 20-year-old undergraduate student from Germany and applied for different universities in the UK for a Master of Science in the field of finance/accounting and finance.
    I received (besides some other universities, that I already excluded) offers from:

However, I am not really aware of the different British universities and its prestige in the UK, and my decision where to apply based more or less on Rankings and forum entries.

Currently, I tend to accept my offer for Durham, due to its overall great reputation and the little fees compared to other institutions.

However, it would be great to have some impressions from your side, therefore I am happy for any recommendation!

Thanks,
    Thomas
    Gingerbread101 would you be able to share what Durham is like?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

Thanks,
    Thomas
    I'm currently studying at Durham and the main difference you'll find with Durham compared to the others is the collegiate system. Everyone gets very invested in their college spirit and you'll make a lot of close college friends, probably go to college formals, and live in your college there's tons of little nuances like college rivalries, and it all seems a bit up itself but you can be as extreme or chilled with it as you like:lol: Durham as a city to study in is also quite unique, as you become completely engulfed in what is lovingly known as the 'Durham Bubble' where the rest of the world ceases to exist and you barely ever leave it's a very safe and friendly feeling city as it's basically 99% students and is pretty tiny (a 20 min walk to your furthest away lecture becomes the hardest slog ever), and every night out is full of students apart from Saturdays (locals night).
    If you're into the nightlife scene, drinking in college bars is incredibly cheap and the clubs are fine for the average night out, and if you're looking for something a bit more exciting, everyone gets the train over to Newcastle.

I hope this helps a little, thanks for the tag She-Ra
    • TSR Community Team
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    I'm currently studying at Durham and the main difference you'll find with Durham compared to the others is the collegiate system. Everyone gets very invested in their college spirit and you'll make a lot of close college friends, probably go to college formals, and live in your college there's tons of little nuances like college rivalries, and it all seems a bit up itself but you can be as extreme or chilled with it as you like:lol: Durham as a city to study in is also quite unique, as you become completely engulfed in what is lovingly known as the 'Durham Bubble' where the rest of the world ceases to exist and you barely ever leave it's a very safe and friendly feeling city as it's basically 99% students and is pretty tiny (a 20 min walk to your furthest away lecture becomes the hardest slog ever), and every night out is full of students apart from Saturdays (locals night).
    If you're into the nightlife scene, drinking in college bars is incredibly cheap and the clubs are fine for the average night out, and if you're looking for something a bit more exciting, everyone gets the train over to Newcastle.

I hope this helps a little, thanks for the tag She-Ra
    Awesome, thank you
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

Thanks,
    Thomas
    Hi Thomas,

First congratulations on your offers! It's great to receive an offer from a really good school and to receive offers from three deserves all the "congratulations" you get! Glückwünsche!

I am a student of Cranfield University and this is my 2nd Year in Cranfield, of engaging in Cranfield. I'm running a PhD, but it's pretty similar, what you get across a PhD and a Masters. It's good to see that you are keen to find out about prestige and rankings, as regards your decision making. For the MSc in Finance and Management, as recent as 2016, Cranfield University was ranked 4th in the UK (Imperial, Oxford and Warwick makes up the other three) and 25th overall in the world; 1st in the UK and 10th in the world for careers; 2nd in the UK for value for money:cool:, by the Financial Times.

You can view these here: http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoo...xperience-2016

And that was the primarily reason why I choose Cranfield! Like you, I was concerned with prestige, ranking, connections to industry and policymakers around the world. And I have been overly impressed. Our MSc students partake in a live project as part of their MSc degrees, which enables them to directly add value to a company. These companies implement the solutions recommended by the students, you get to have real-world experience and a few start/continue their professional careers with those companies. You will have these opportunities and more as we are a research-intensive post-graduate Universities:cool:.

I've got quite a few number of German friends and recently worked in a manufacturing project with two- you should fit in quite nicely. Cranfield is within Milton Keynes/Bedfordshire which is a mere 35mins by train to London. On campus, we have games which are truly international as our students come from across the world. Hence, our mini-football/futsal tournaments, volleyball tournaments, etc, where Germany play against Poland (for instance), both teams will have a complete set of players (and can "borrow" players from other countries if they want to!!). Not forgetting the "international cusines day", where you get to eat a full meal from Indonesia or South Africa- anywhere basically. At Cranfield, we have the advantage of being close to two cities- Bedfordshire and Milton Keynes- hence, you are spoilt for choice if you want a night-out.:dancing2:

I know it might be a bit early, but if you are within the area, you could attend our Open Day on the 4th of February.

I hope this helps. I'll be more than happy to answer any more questions you have.

Oke.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with Durham if I were you, purely based on reputation

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you are looking for, mate. If you are looking for reputation, ranking, international partnerships and connections and you are research-minded, I'll go for Cranfield University. They are up in the league with Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL and have a good number of partnerships with these Unis and outside the UK. I'd imagine that as an EU student, you will be making a decision based on this. @m sure you've found out that many international students make their decisions on this. Lancaster and Durham, etc are also good too. All the best with that!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your answers so far! I decided to go with Durham, since 1) the program contents seem to fit best with my expectation for postgrad. studies, 2) it is quite cheap compared to other universities (only 14,5k) and 3) I believe Durham itself is a well-known university and has a great reputation in both the UK and Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your answers so far! I decided to go with Durham, since 1) the program contents seem to fit best with my expectation for postgrad. studies, 2) it is quite cheap compared to other universities (only 14,5k) and 3) I believe Durham itself is a well-known university and has a great reputation in both the UK and Europe.
    All the best with your MSc studies! Hope it goes well!

"Expectations for postgrad studies"? Please do share with us what are those expectations? It would possibly help others too. Cheers mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by attn_2detail)
    All the best with your MSc studies! Hope it goes well!

"Expectations for postgrad studies"? Please do share with us what are those expectations? It would possibly help others too. Cheers mate!
    Sure, I was mainly thinking about the contents of the respective course.
    Cranfield is predominantly focused on classic finance topics. However, I'd prefer to work the industry, not in the banking / FS sector.
    Therefore I prefer to combine contents from accounting and finance perspective.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, I was mainly thinking about the contents of the respective course.
    Cranfield is predominantly focused on classic finance topics. However, I'd prefer to work the industry, not in the banking / FS sector.
    Therefore I prefer to combine contents from accounting and finance perspective.
    Oh great. I'm at Cardiff, anyway, and chose Cardiff due to family reasons. However, for postgraduate I'm set on Cranfield -if not Cranfield, then Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial/UCL, primarily due to Cranfield's excellent rankings. Or possibly abroad, you never know! All the best again!

ReputationRep:
    Oh great. I'm at Cardiff, anyway, and chose Cardiff due to family reasons. However, for postgraduate I'm set on Cranfield -if not Cranfield, then Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial/UCL, primarily due to Cranfield's excellent rankings. Or possibly abroad, you never know! All the best again!
    Yeah, I think it is important to not only focus on Reputation and Rankings, but also on further factors such as costs, the program itself or future career aspirations.
    I hope that I've taken the right decision for me!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think it is important to not only focus on Reputation and Rankings, but also on further factors such as costs, the program itself or future career aspirations.
    I hope that I've taken the right decision for me!
    Sure. I think cost would be my main consideration here amongst the list you mentioned, as I've met alumini from Cranfield, Imperial, Oxbridge and they've achieved exactly what I hope for myself. The cost is nagging, but we would see!

ReputationRep:
    Sure. I think cost would be my main consideration here amongst the list you mentioned, as I've met alumini from Cranfield, Imperial, Oxbridge and they've achieved exactly what I hope for myself. The cost is nagging, but we would see!
    Well, in my point of view Cranfield is even moderate in costs with 23k for the MSc compared to other institutions, but Imperial for instance is almost 20k higher than Durham..

ReputationRep:
    Well, in my point of view Cranfield is even moderate in costs with 23k for the MSc compared to other institutions, but Imperial for instance is almost 20k higher than Durham..
    Hahahah! I know. I don't want to think of what it would be by next year when I'm ready for MSc!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.