Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Folks

I have an Acer Aspire laptop for which I bought a battery (online) about a year ago. The battery only lasted a few weeks and since then I constantly have to charge the laptop using the main charger.

I haven't used the laptop for a while now but was thinking of replacing the battery. Can you suggest any good reliable websites from which I can get a decent battery?

I get the feeling that I was ripped off on the previous occasion !!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I hear Samsung sells great battery's!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geek84)
    Hi Folks

I have an Acer Aspire laptop for which I bought a battery (online) about a year ago. The battery only lasted a few weeks and since then I constantly have to charge the laptop using the main charger.

I haven't used the laptop for a while now but was thinking of replacing the battery. Can you suggest any good reliable websites from which I can get a decent battery?

Thanks
    Try contact Acer directly, loads of the cheap third party replacements that you find are dodgy.

How old is the laptop by the way? If it's old then a new computer might be better value than buying a new battery.

ReputationRep:
    spotify95 This may be your forte!

Fundamentally, certain Acer Aspire laptop models are notorious for overheating - which could be causing the laptop to utilise more battery power to compensate for the high CPU usage (Spotify, please correct me if I am wrong). Spotify's previous laptop was an Acer Aspire model and he is struggling to find a decent replacement battery for the laptop. Furthermore, I also agree with the notion that a new computer/laptop might be more beneficial and cost effective than purchasing a new battery. If you do opt for this route, I would highly recommend a HP laptop; both myself and Spotify have experience with these laptops, and they are generally very reliable. :yep: It would be best (if possible) to wait for deals such as those 'Black Friday' deals etc, to observe if you could purchase a laptop that possesses higher specifications for a lower price than normal. I recommend a laptop with at least an Intel Core i5 processor and 1TB HDD, as well as a decent amount of RAM (such as 8GB or above, preferably). You can manage to purchase such a variation of laptop (or better), for anything between £470 and £600, depending on the active deals at the time. I think it really depends on what you intend to use the laptop for - for instance, if it is just for school/college/university purposes, you may be fine with an Intel Core i3 laptop, which is less expensive than an i5 or i7 laptop. However, if you intend to use it for gaming/storing music on etc, a more powerful computer/laptop would be more suitable.

I hope this helps!

:tea:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geek84)
    Hi Folks

Thanks
    Hi,

First of all, what model is your Acer Aspire laptop?

As PerplexingGeode mentioned earlier on, I have had an Acer Aspire as my previous laptop, model 5742, and ever since I have had it, it has done nothing but overheat, especially when doing something intensive. Even 6 months after purchase, I was getting temperatures in excess of 95'C and I wasn't doing anything excessive. Nowadays, the same Acer Aspire 5742 continues to work, but anything remotely intensive causes the laptop to shoot up into the 90's C again. 720p Youtube is just about OK, but 1080p isn't!
    Therefore, if your model of Acer Aspire is a 57xx, particularly a 5741/5742/5742G, you may well be better off abandoning the laptop and purchasing a new one - again, as Perplexing mentioned, the Black Friday event is better as you can get decent spec laptops at a good price.

Assuming that your Acer Aspire isn't one that overheats, eBay and Amazon are probably the best places to look. You won't get a genuine Acer battery if the laptop is too old, but you will be able to find replacement batteries for your model. If there are any available for your laptop, I'd strongly advise getting a 9-cell laptop battery instead of the 6-cell battery that is used as standard; with the 9-cell, you will get a longer battery life. My Acer Aspire 5742's original battery started losing capacity after 3 years (it's now at about half capacity, 5 years after purchase) and I have since replaced it with a 9-cell battery from Amazon. The 9-cell battery is about a year old and still holds a very good charge.

if you let me know your laptop model then I might be able to find a suitable battery for you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.