Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got a job as a waitress, but recently got fired and left on quite bad terms with the company. Shall I put this job down on my UCAS form (it's the only one I've had, and I worked there for 4 months), or shall I leave it out? How likely is it that the universities will ring the company for a reference? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    I got a job as a waitress, but recently got fired and left on quite bad terms with the company. Shall I put this job down on my UCAS form (it's the only one I've had, and I worked there for 4 months), or shall I leave it out? How likely is it that the universities will ring the company for a reference? :confused:
    Its unlikely that they'll phone, they'll be more concerned with the reference given on your ucas form by a teacher rather than whether you're a good waitress or not

ReputationRep:
    I doubt jobs like this are really that important, desirable, or valuable on your UCAS form unless they are directly relevent to your course. I say leave it out.

ReputationRep:
    Its highly unlikely if they ring. I'd recommend you to put this down in ur UCAS because it shows that you can work and study at the same time... Admissions tutors look at these things but they are not going to Ring and check.

ReputationRep:
    when is the right time to start writing ur personal statement?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supergirl)
    when is the right time to start writing ur personal statement?????
    It's never too early - get started now if you can, it'll make September much easier and you'll draft it several times.

I'd mention the job too, they won't have time to ring I wouldn't have thought, they wouldn't bother, and even if it was only 4 months, definately put it down!

ReputationRep:
    I think you should put the job down on the form. If the company are immature and stupid enough to belittle and rubbish the work you did over 4 months due to one small thing that caused them to fire you, then that says a lot about them; I don't think the universities would ever be sad enough to ring up, and even if they did find out you got fired, that still doesn' change the fact that you worked at this place and did a good job for 4 months; which is what counts.

That's my view, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    What are you applying for?

If you are talking about putting into the PS, I highly doubt they will care about it, I wouldn't even bother putting it on. I was a waitress for about the same amount of time too, and I'm definately not putting it in my PS. I personally think it'll waste space, there's more important stuff to write about.

BUT having said that.. I'm pretty sure that you HAVE to put down information about any paid employment you've had anyway (there's a seperate section for it above the personal statement bit). Then you don't have a choice. But I wouldn't talk about it much in your PS, unless you really don't have anything else to write about.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you have to give details of your employment on the UCAS form?

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Mention it, but don't make a big deal of it. I really don't think they will bother to phone up.

I would definitely mention it. The fact that you have the maturity to balance study and work is something that they WILL value (whether you dont work there now or not).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I doubt jobs like this are really that important, desirable, or valuable on your UCAS form unless they are directly relevent to your course. I say leave it out.
    Disagree. Waitressing demonstrates useful skills, and importantly for a UCAS form it shows you do something else on top of your studies proving you can balance your time. As I said anything - working at McDonalds, as a cleaner, handing out flyers etc, is better than having a blank space on your UCAS form. And no, they don't bother phoning up your employers.

(Original post by Jools)
    Disagree. Waitressing demonstrates useful skills, and importantly for a UCAS form it shows you do something else on top of your studies proving you can balance your time. As I said anything - working at McDonalds, as a cleaner, handing out flyers etc, is better than having a blank space on your UCAS form. And no, they don't bother phoning up your employers.
    Well Said!!!

(Original post by Leekey)
    Well Said!!!
    yeh i think i will put the work i did on there..well it is better than a blank space

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Why do you have to give details of your employment on the UCAS form?
    Well I'm unsure why, but if you have a look at a UCAS form, there's a section that says "Details of paid employment to date".

Don't worry. Apparently admissions tutors spend an average of 5 minutes looking at each application and making a decision. They have hundreds of applications to sift through, and bu the age of 17, most people have had some kind of paid work. My UCAS form had details of 3 or 4 previous jobs I had done. Do you really think they have time to phone up each employer and ask what kind of waitress/shop assistant/cleaner you are, when they already have a perfectly good reference for you in front of them? Of course not. The only reason it's there is to give applicants the opportunity to show that they have experience of paid work without having to waste space in the personal statement talking about shelf stacking at Sainsbury's. Basically, it shows that you have a good work ethic, can manage your time effectively to achieve a healthy balance between academic work and other activities, and also that you actually live in the real world. Putting it down can only be an advantage, especially if it's the only job you've ever done, otherwise you'll have nothing to put down and you might have never worked because you're a pampered princess whose daddy pays for everything. Not a good impression to make.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.