The Student Room Group

Choosing York (for Economics) over higher ranked unis

I'm 99% sure I'm going to firm York to do Economics, because of a number of factors such as I love the campus, city and the offer is my lowest of my five choices at AAB.

I also have offers from Nottingham, Durham and Leeds and am still waiting to Warwick. I would feel the most happy to York, although am I being foolish/unambitious by not going with any of the other unis, all of which rank higher than York? Even if I get an offer from Warwick I will still choose York - am I being stupid by doing that??

Thanks for any replies :smile:
Reply 1
The rankings have never really meant much to me, they're probably more useful for those people chasing the most cutthroat of careers (i.e. IB), but even then what should matter most if you're chasing a particularly competitive career is doing lots of solid networking, and getting a good internship/work experience while you're at uni. Those higher-ranked unis may have links with highly sought after employers, but that's probably their main advantage, if you don't care about specific modules or bragging on TSR about how you got into X or Y university with higher grade requirements etc. then I'd recommend you go with York. :smile:

If you still have offer-holder visit days to go to, and you can make them, it's probably worth attending them and keeping an open mind and finding out more about the course. After all, you still have a while to decide what you firm and insurance.

Keep in mind what's most important to you about university, and not what the rankings or others say should be important for you. I'm pretty sure that the 'research power' of a university doesn't really matter to most undergraduate students for instance. On that basis, it seems York would be perfect for you regarding its campus etc. and I'd recommend you go with it!

PS: I'm firming Leeds but I'll most likely make York my insurance. :P
Reply 3
Original post by BroJoeJoe
The rankings have never really meant much to me, they're probably more useful for those people chasing the most cutthroat of careers (i.e. IB), but even then what should matter most if you're chasing a particularly competitive career is doing lots of solid networking, and getting a good internship/work experience while you're at uni. Those higher-ranked unis may have links with highly sought after employers, but that's probably their main advantage, if you don't care about specific modules or bragging on TSR about how you got into X or Y university with higher grade requirements etc. then I'd recommend you go with York. :smile:

If you still have offer-holder visit days to go to, and you can make them, it's probably worth attending them and keeping an open mind and finding out more about the course. After all, you still have a while to decide what you firm and insurance.

Keep in mind what's most important to you about university, and not what the rankings or others say should be important for you. I'm pretty sure that the 'research power' of a university doesn't really matter to most undergraduate students for instance. On that basis, it seems York would be perfect for you regarding its campus etc. and I'd recommend you go with it!

PS: I'm firming Leeds but I'll most likely make York my insurance. :P

Thanks for the reply :smile: yeah I've been on the York open day and I love it. And I'm not interested in IB, i'd want to work in something like investment/wealth management where the hours are less stressful to be honest! As for research power, I'm not bothered about that either.

I've actually looked at the modules at York and Nottingham (which was initially going to be his firm) and balancing it out, I'd say the York ones interest me the most - the Bubbles, Crash and Panics in particular unsound really interesting.

Thanks again for the reply :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by joddcfc
Thanks for the reply :smile: yeah I've been on the York open day and I love it. And I'm not interested in IB, i'd want to work in something like investment/wealth management where the hours are less stressful to be honest! As for research power, I'm not bothered about that either.

I've actually looked at the modules at York and Nottingham (which was initially going to be his firm) and balancing it out, I'd say the York ones interest me the most - the Bubbles, Crash and Panics in particular unsound really interesting.

Thanks again for the reply :smile:

I'm at York (economics) at the moment and I was in a very similar situation to you. I had pretty much the same offers but decided on York and I love it. It has a really good network for IB with sponsorship from a few big players and a very strong Investment and Finance society. Also it has the Griff fund (student run equity investment fund), which although is hard to get into, it's really good experience. Plus York has recently made it into the 'Top 50 uni's/ colleges to get into IB'. Plus not to mention how good the city/ nightlife is and especially the college system (pick Derwent).
Hope this helps your decision mate
Reply 5
Original post by DBTH
I'm at York (economics) at the moment and I was in a very similar situation to you. I had pretty much the same offers but decided on York and I love it. It has a really good network for IB with sponsorship from a few big players and a very strong Investment and Finance society. Also it has the Griff fund (student run equity investment fund), which although is hard to get into, it's really good experience. Plus York has recently made it into the 'Top 50 uni's/ colleges to get into IB'. Plus not to mention how good the city/ nightlife is and especially the college system (pick Derwent).

Thanks for the reply :smile:. I heard about the finance and investment society on the open day - will almost certainly join that. Sounds like you are really enjoying the course and uni life in general. What grades did you get if you don't mind me asking? Nightlife seems decent too, obviously not on standard of Leeds etc but its nearby and for me York is like a perfect sized city in terms of everything really.

Also I'm pretty set on either Alcuin, Vanbrugh or Goodricke but thanks for the advice on Derwent haha
Reply 6
Original post by joddcfc
Thanks for the reply :smile:. I heard about the finance and investment society on the open day - will almost certainly join that. Sounds like you are really enjoying the course and uni life in general. What grades did you get if you don't mind me asking? Nightlife seems decent too, obviously not on standard of Leeds etc but its nearby and for me York is like a perfect sized city in terms of everything really.

Also I'm pretty set on either Alcuin, Vanbrugh or Goodricke but thanks for the advice on Derwent haha

I did the IB and got 36 points which is basically AAA but the vast majority people on the course got ABB or AAB, I even know people who got BBB and ACC and still managed to get in. So York is a fairly safe bet. Yeah it's not as big as Leeds obviously but nothing to complain at all. And seriously do not join them colleges if you want a social life, like I'm being deadly serious I've never met anyone from Goodricke, Alcuin are very boring and never go out and Vanbrugh just doesn't seem that good. I'd choose Derwent or James.
Reply 7
Original post by DBTH
I did the IB and got 36 points which is basically AAA but the vast majority people on the course got ABB or AAB, I even know people who got BBB and ACC and still managed to get in. So York is a fairly safe bet. Yeah it's not as big as Leeds obviously but nothing to complain at all. And seriously do not join them colleges if you want a social life, like I'm being deadly serious I've never met anyone from Goodricke, Alcuin are very boring and never go out and Vanbrugh just doesn't seem that good. I'd choose Derwent or James.

Glad to know there's a bit of leeway in terms of grades. I know colleges have reputations and that but surely you won't find anyone from those colleges who aren't boring?? I prefer to prioritise accommodation type anyway - personally I prefer self catered as well as en suite which rules James and Derwent out but thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 8
Can anyone join the investment and finance society ? And also does society teach you how to trade and invest?
Reply 9
Original post by DBTH

Can anyone join the investment and finance society? And does the society train you on how to invest and trade ?

Quick Reply

Latest