The Student Room Group

Do Oxford see module grades?

Scroll to see replies

No to the module grades, but yes to the overall grade.
Reply 181
I thought you had to declare module grades on UCAS if you certificated this year (which most state schools have).
Reply 182
Nope.
You can even put 'pending' until you 'cash in' and recieve your A level results.
If I were for example to achieve AAAAA but all of them were at 80% (scrapping an A)
would they know it? If I got AAAAA all 80% and another applicant got AAAAA but got them all at 90% would they know the difference? Would I be at a disadvantage?
No.
No, they do not ask for UMS marks. Surely a quick google search would've put this straight?
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
No, they do not ask for UMS marks. Surely a quick google search would've put this straight?

Original post by hassi94
No.

So all they see is just the grade? Do they not even see raw marks?
Original post by mclovin123

Just the grade. Your UMS average may be implied by your prediction (i.e. an A* as opposed to an A), but this isn't necessarily reliable, so doesn't play that much of a role.
Reply 188
If I were for example to achieve AAAAA but all of them were at 80% (scrapping an A)
would they know it? If I got AAAAA all 80% and another applicant got AAAAA but got them all at 90% would they know the difference? Would I be at a disadvantage?

No, if you scrape As then Oxford is a much safer bet than Cambridge, where they see the UMS in each individual AS exam. So say you averaged around 95%, then you are likely to gain more recognition for that at Cambridge than Oxford, whom it would make no difference to.

There is a chance your teachers could make hints in your reference, but they probably won't. A safe bet is to ask them not to! :wink:

Original post by simonoafc
No, if you scrape As then Oxford is a much safer bet than Cambridge, where they see the UMS in each individual AS exam. So say you averaged around 95%, then you are likely to gain more recognition for that at Cambridge than Oxford, whom it would make no difference to.

This. I asked some Oxford tutors, and they said they didn't care - degrees and A-levels are too different.

Cambridge, on the other hand, did statistical analysis on UMS marks and liked what they saw, so it's part of the admissions process (but not so much so for Maths, as that showed a lower correlation).

That's part of why I opted for Cambridge, actually :tongue:
Reply 190
Original post by Xero Xenith

This. I asked some Oxford tutors, and they said they didn't care - degrees and A-levels are too different.

Cambridge, on the other hand, did statistical analysis on UMS marks and liked what they saw, so it's part of the admissions process (but not so much so for Maths, as that showed a lower correlation).

That's part of why I opted for Cambridge, actually :tongue:

Same! According to the admissions tutors I spoke to at Oxford, they cared more about GCSEs (mine are relatively much weaker than my ASs) than AS-levels for some reason. Think at Oxford I'd probably have looked like an average-weak applicant, whereas Cambridge I think I was regarded as a 'strong applicant' :tongue:
You should bear in mind that whilst Oxford doesn't ask for AS module scores, some people will put them down in their reference anyway. How much weight they give them is another matter, but I imagine a candidate who puts down that they got 95-100% in everything would have a certain advantage over someone who says nothing.

Not unless you tell them, I personally put mine down. But I know lots of people who didn't and I can't imagine it disadvantages you.
Reply 193
Original post by michael321
You should bear in mind that whilst Oxford doesn't ask for AS module scores, some people will put them down in their reference anyway. How much weight they give them is another matter, but I imagine a candidate who puts down that they got 95-100% in everything would have a certain advantage over someone who says nothing.

I asked a law tutor at Lincoln College, Oxford about whether my UMS average of 97% would be advantageous and she said that it would effectively make no difference whatsoever.
This is good. My school keeps scaring me about how if I don't get over 90-95% in my AS levels, I'm doomed. Pah to them. :smug:
Original post by loopy786
This is good. My school keeps scaring me about how if I don't get over 90-95% in my AS levels, I'm doomed. Pah to them. :smug:

My thoughts exactly lol, just sit tight with 80% ans when they give you an offer with an A* in subject "x", just retake a unit in the summer LOL.
My thoughts exactly lol, just sit tight with 80% ans when they give you an offer with an A* in subject "x", just retake a unit in the summer LOL.

I think I can get close to 90%, maybe even make above 90% but I don't want the pressure of having to get 90-95% to stand a chance of getting into Oxford. I'd rather spend that extra worry-time making myself a better applicant rather than worrying over that one part of the admissions criteria. :frown:
Reply 197

I was asked at interview.
Reply 198
So does the fact that oxford don't see individual UMS scores mean that they don't know whether you have retaken individual maths modules?
If you have an A-level grade that is certified, do you have to declare the individual modules? I.e if you have an A* in Maths do you have to state the module grades, for instance: C1: A, C2: B etc etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending