Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMinx)
    It doesnt cost much. i mean what expenses are there? food......alcohol....food...alco hol.
    Rent. And Kitchen charges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Rent. And Kitchen charges.
    What sort of kitchen charges? and i mean besides rent, which the loan more than covers (mine does anyway).

ReputationRep:
    What sort of kitchen charges? and i mean besides rent, which the loan more than covers (mine does anyway).
    Cambridge's infamous Kitchen Fixed Charge. £86 a term, plus £660. Doesn't leave me much left out of my £1100, to feed and entertain myself.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge's infamous Kitchen Fixed Charge. £86 a term, plus £660. Doesn't leave me much left out of my £1100, to feed and entertain myself.
    what'd you get for your £86? If your loan is only 1100 then you should ask your parents as it is supposed to be income assessed. and anyway thats still, what, £30 a week? not bad.

ReputationRep:
    what'd you get for your £86? If your loan is only 1100 then you should ask your parents as it is supposed to be income assessed. and anyway thats still, what, £30 a week? not bad.
    I get discounted food at the buttery. That's discounted, not free, so I still have to pay for that (on my bill). Oh, and it supposedly goes towards upkeep of our own kitchens. My parents didn't give me anything last year, though they did buy my computer at the start of the year, so I didn't like to ask and I didn't need to really.

I can get by. But I used more than my loan (£3300 for the year) - what with a few train tickets home/to London, a May Ball ticket (£90 :eek: ) etc, it adds up.

ReputationRep:
    I get discounted food at the buttery. That's discounted, not free, so I still have to pay for that (on my bill). Oh, and it supposedly goes towards upkeep of our own kitchens. My parents didn't give me anything last year, though they did buy my computer at the start of the year, so I didn't like to ask and I didn't need to really.

I can get by. But I used more than my loan (£3300 for the year) - what with a few train tickets home/to London, a May Ball ticket (£90 :eek: ) etc, it adds up.
    I didn't go home very much and had no balls so that wasn't a problem for me. I really had no big expenses. My parents bought me a load of food at the beginning of term and i didnt spend that much on food for the rest of term so it was only really nights out and the odd text book that i needed money for.

ReputationRep:
    i just read that through after i posted it and wondered what the hell i meant by "balls!" i get it now

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go home very much and had no balls so that wasn't a problem for me. I really had no big expenses. My parents bought me a load of food at the beginning of term and i didnt spend that much on food for the rest of term so it was only really nights out and the odd text book that i needed money for.
    I didn't go home much, only twice in first term, but at ~£40 a time it counts. You sound like you've done very well - I've hardly been extravagant, but things just seem to go! I've done better than lots of people though. Where are you at uni?

ReputationRep:
    £40 for a return train ticket from cambridge to london?????

£12 with a railcard last time i checked....which is quite often..

Last year i spent £1500 of my own money. Loan didnt even cover my rent so 150 of the 1500 was used for rent. Rest went towards £35 ish a week for food/alcohol/going out/phone/washing machine/misc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ_23)
    How much money should we bring to uni? We'll have our loan money and the other stuff we bought for uni (such as a laptop etc.), so how much extra should we being with us?

does noone else see the comedy value of this post...its like they see uni as a day out...oh mum could you give me a tenna to buy presants on the school trip!

what would you do with the rest of your money? leave it under your bed at home? surly you take your life to uni...which includes all your money?

personally i spent an extra £3000 on top of my loan. i love the people who say they can spend £35 a week on food/alcohol/going out....i spend £20 a night out...so thats not even 2 nights out and thats not with food. are you honestly saying your going out once a week?

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    i love the people who say they can spend £35 a week on food/alcohol/going out....i spend £20 a night out...so thats not even 2 nights out and thats not with food. are you honestly saying your going out once a week?

thats on average. some weeks might not even go out at all(revision, heavy coursework) (or just to the pub - spending £5-10 max)

if i go clubbing it'll be on student nights or to the student union bar/club @ the weekend with £1 entries and £1 drinks all night if you stick to the special offers.

food is easy, people over estimate how expensive food is. just buy ingrediants (pasta, potatoes, fruit/salad, rice and maybe a bit of meat) only comes to £15 about every 10 days.

washing was just expensive at our uni ~ £2.50 a go (wash&dry) so about once every 1 or 2 weeks again.

money is not an issue unless you start to waste it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stu673)
    thats on average. some weeks might not even go out at all(revision, heavy coursework) (or just to the pub - spending £5-10 max)

if i go clubbing it'll be on student nights or to the student union bar/club @ the weekend with £1 entries and £1 drinks all night if you stick to the special offers.

food is easy, people over estimate how expensive food is. just buy ingrediants (pasta, potatoes, fruit/salad, rice and maybe a bit of meat) only comes to £15 about every 10 days.

washing was just expensive at our uni ~ £2.50 a go (wash&dry) so about once every 1 or 2 weeks again.

money is not an issue unless you start to waste it...
    whooooahhh, i dont understand how some people can have so much work that they cant go out, maybe if you went out youd feel guilty and get it done quicker!

i only do student nights...and worked thursday and saturday and stil managed to spent a fortune..

and as for going to the pub...thats more expensive than clubbing...

i didnt eat, and washing was free.

i would so love to be like you!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stu673)
    £40 for a return train ticket from cambridge to london?????

£12 with a railcard last time i checked....which is quite often..
    £40 home, not to London, eejit :rolleyes: Might be a bit less, can't remember. Definitely over £30 though, with a railcard.

Katy - I spend more than £35 a week on food etc, but I almost never spend £20 on one night out! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    does noone else see the comedy value of this post...its like they see uni as a day out...oh mum could you give me a tenna to buy presants on the school trip!

what would you do with the rest of your money? leave it under your bed at home? surly you take your life to uni...which includes all your money?

personally i spent an extra £3000 on top of my loan. i love the people who say they can spend £35 a week on food/alcohol/going out....i spend £20 a night out...so thats not even 2 nights out and thats not with food. are you honestly saying your going out once a week?

love Katy ***
    I didn't mean that. I'm looking to earn approx. 1200 pounds but I want to buy a laptop for university, so Ill have 500 roughly left for the start. But I also want to buy clothes and stuff before uni starts, but should I just keep the 500 for expenses for uni?

ReputationRep:
    Bring loads. You'll need it. How ever much you bring, you will spend it I guarantee you. I spent £10,000 in first year. Don't know how I done it, and don't really want to think about it! but at least I had an amazing time!

ReputationRep:
    Katy - I spend more than £35 a week on food etc, but I almost never spend £20 on one night out! :eek:

im strange, last wednesday i went out spent £6.08 and was very drunk....but other times i can spend £20-30 and be equally as drunk!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    im strange, last wednesday i went out spent £6.08 and was very drunk....but other times i can spend £20-30 and be equally as drunk!

love Katy ***
    Go with men. That way you're guaranteed not to have to pay for all your drinks

ReputationRep:
    yeah chicks have been known to break my wallet :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    £40 home, not to London, eejit :rolleyes:

oops. forgive me :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I should imagine I'll be spending a fair bit . Haven't got the accomodation or tuition fees to worry about as they're being paid for. Won't spend as much as I think though with regards to nights out as I'll be working 4 evenings a week. Brilliant way to make and save money - work when you'd otherwise be out spending . It's my food bill I'm going to worry about.... I just eat and eat and don't put anything on.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.