Turn on thread page Beta

How much money should we bring to uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spleenus`)
    It's my food bill I'm going to worry about.... I just eat and eat and don't put anything on.
    :eek: Your a nudist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    hehehehe!!

ReputationRep:
    im taking 10k for a year in case of emergencies etc, will not spend it all tho!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry)
    Yeh I'll be bringing about the same amount because I'm an international student and I've never lived in the UK, hence, I have no idea how much I'll need etc. Money transfer is very difficult, so I'd rather be safe than sorry. Having extra money is always good anyway

I'm speculating that I'll be spending 7k a year?? I have no idea...

ReputationRep:
    10K? Where are you getting it from? And I assume by "taking" you mean it will be in your account.

lilsunflower - £7000 would in my opinion be more than enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    10K? Where are you getting it from? And I assume by "taking" you mean it will be in your account.

lilsunflower - £7000 would in my opinion be more than enough.
    First off I am assuming that all these figures are excluding tuition fees, as for an international student at Durham, reading Law, the tuition + rent comes to over £11,000

I would suggest if you do take that kind of money to put it in a separate account to the one you use on a daily basis. If anything happened to your debit card, £10K is a large sum of money for a crook to get their hands on, and I doubt would be easily replaceable.

Helania, one of the things Immigration will want to see when an international student enters the country is evidence of financial security. The government has no desire for people to start their degree, run out of cash and end up coming cap in hand for plane tickets home!

I would work out your finances into capital purchases, such as computers clothes etc, and ongoing expenditure such as tuition fees, rent, food, drinking etc. Technically you should also depreciate your capital equiptment, so it is easily replaceable when necessary, but most people work on the assumption that it won't fail them.

ReputationRep:
    £10,000!!!! Is everyone on this forum absolutely loaded!? I've worked full time all year and i've only managed 2 save £2000 and i was so proud of myself coz I thought that was loads! How on earth have you got £10,000!?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahgrasso)
    £10,000!!!! Is everyone on this forum absolutely loaded!? I've worked full time all year and i've only managed 2 save £2000 and i was so proud of myself coz I thought that was loads! How on earth have you got £10,000!?!?!?!
    Bear in mind lilsunflower will be an international student. This means no student loan, which after parental contributions should be £4095, tuition fees of around £8200, prohibited by law from finding work, even part time.

To be an international student in this country requires you to be loaded!

ReputationRep:
    bloody hell, what sort of emergency are you expecting? i spent about £5500- 3000 loan, 1000 of my saving and 1500 of parents. this year is going to be a lot tougher though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trouttrout)
    Bring loads. You'll need it. How ever much you bring, you will spend it I guarantee you. I spent £10,000 in first year. Don't know how I done it, and don't really want to think about it! but at least I had an amazing time!
    you spent £10,000!!! my eyes are watering at the thought. fully catered accomm plus fees is £4,500 just over (if i get ensuite) - that would mean spending over 5 grand on books, alcohol etc!!! i would probably be in hospital by the end of the year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    shh, don't tell anyone

Might scare the people I'll be living with at first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyitfc)
    you spent £10,000!!! my eyes are watering at the thought. fully catered accomm plus fees is £4,500 just over (if i get ensuite) - that would mean spending over 5 grand on books, alcohol etc!!! i would probably be in hospital by the end of the year
    A friend of mine at Durham spent nearly that amount in his first year. He was in Durham term time, St Helens, in the holidays, and his girlfriend was in Kent! Adding up the travel and phone bills, he nearly bankrupted himself. Still thats what love does to people!

ReputationRep:
    £1 a week should be enough for 20 or so cans of baked beans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    First off I am assuming that all these figures are excluding tuition fees, as for an international student at Durham, reading Law, the tuition + rent comes to over £11,000.
    Yes, Dave is absolutely right. Tuition plus rent is going to cost about £11,500. My airfare is £600 for 2-way. Hence, I'll have to bring at least £20,000 to ensure that I can survive the entire year. Unfortunately, my dad will have to pay for it, no loans. I couldn't earn that money no matter how hard I worked. It's about 60k for a 3-year course, which makes me feel awfully guilty. It's a lot of money in my country

Is there ANY way for international students to find some form of work? It's crazy that we have to pay those fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)

Is there ANY way for international students to find some form of work? It's crazy that we have to pay those fees.
    hmm....i know my visa allows me to work for up to 20 hours per week during term time and full-time during holidays....
    but of course that will not be enough to pay even for living costs!!!

ReputationRep:
    I have £200 per week to spend on beer and food. All the rest of it is paid for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Investmentboy)
    I have £200 per week to spend on beer and food. All the rest of it is paid for
    How come?
    £200/week - you need that much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Source: http://www.dur.ac.uk/international.o...ationNotes.doc

It depends on what they stamp your visa with upon entry to the UK. I was under the impression they normally did not permit work.

The two possible wordings for the stamp are as follows

Leave to enter the United Kingdom on condition that the holder maintains and accommodates himself, and any dependants without recourse to public funds, does not enter or change employment, paid or unpaid without the consent of the Secretary of State for Employment and does not engage in business or profession without the consent of the Secretary of State for the Home Department is hereby given for/until...
    or

Leave to enter the United Kingdom on condition that the holder maintains and accommodates himself, and any dependants without recourse to public funds, does not enter employment, paid or unpaid and does not engage in any business or profession is hereby given for/until …
    The first stamp allows you to work, with permission from the secretary of state for employment. The second stamp prevents you from working full stop. Unfortunately I have no idea under what circumstances each stamp is used, or how easy it is to obtain permission from the secretary of state. I would ensure that your budget balances assuming you are not going to be working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    How come?
    £200/week - you need that much?
    Food = £50/week, beer = £150/week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)

The first stamp allows you to work, with permission from the secretary of state for employment. The second stamp prevents you from working full stop. Unfortunately I have no idea under what circumstances each stamp is used, or how easy it is to obtain permission from the secretary of state. I would ensure that your budget balances assuming you are not going to be working.
    Not easy, as a rule to get a work permit. These come from the Home Department, but I would image that the Emplyment department is not much better. They are a slow and time consuming business to enage upon, and I would avoid if at all possible.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.