Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3rmit)

Regardless, if the animals are killed instantly, and humanely I don't see the problem.
    They aren't. You should go and visit an abattoir, it would turn you into a vegan on the spot.

And this country has higher standards than just about any other.

Medical research is more problematic. But some of that is of dubious worth too. As for fox hunting and beagling, don't get me started.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    They aren't. You should go and visit an abattoir, it would turn you into a vegan on the spot.

And this country has higher standards than just about any other.

Medical research is more problematic. But some of that is of dubious worth too. As for fox hunting and beagling, don't get me started.
    Admittedly, I've never been to an abattoir but if the animals are stunned before killing it can't be that bad.

Medical research I generally agree with, with use first on human cells and tissue.

Fox hunting and beagling are pretty needlessly cruel

ReputationRep:
    In terms of being the worst animal, evolutionary, we are the most successful animal. We have the most control over everything, we can completely change the earth - something only few organisms have done before (e.g. Bacteria changing the composition of the earths atmosphere).

In fact, we are so successful that we now control the course of evolution. Arguably, this is the aim of evolution - to make the most successful animal on earth that can pass its genes and DNA onto our offspring. I think we are successful in that as we can pass our best genes artificially. If that is the aim of evolution then why is it wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    "Scientists have created a human-pig hybrid in a milestone study that raises the prospect of being able to grow human organs inside animals for use in transplants."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

No other species has anything on us when it comes to inflicting misery.
    Am I missing something? It's not sadistic torture if we can save lives with it.

ReputationRep:
    Please show me the other animal that factory farms its food
    Leafcutter ants.

(just in case you don't know... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH3KYBMpxOU)

I remember a debate on radio 4 in which the some bloke, who was the top man in some animal testing lab, debated with the main man of some militant anti-vivisection organisation. Sparks about to fly, you'd think.

The first couple of minutes when like this:

Anti-bloke, "We need to stop ALL animal testing."

Scientist, "Yes, you're absolutely correct."

Sparks = 0. The next half hour = nothing really happened.

Animal testing is, currently, a necessary evil that scientists want to stop doing.

ReputationRep:
    Admittedly, I've never been to an abattoir but if the animals are stunned before killing it can't be that bad.

Medical research I generally agree with, with use first on human cells and tissue.

Fox hunting and beagling are pretty needlessly cruel
    What if it interferes with farming?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub012)
    What if it interferes with farming?
    Not ideal, but not terrible. I was thinking more along the lines of recreation.

ReputationRep:
    Not ideal, but not terrible. I was thinking more along the lines of recreation.
    Yeah, trophy hunting is disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    It's not sadistic torture if we can save lives with it.
    That is not at all logical. Something can be sadistic torture and have the end result of saving lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Leafcutter ants.

(just in case you don't know... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH3KYBMpxOU)

I remember a debate on radio 4 in which the some bloke, who was the top man in some animal testing lab, debated with the main man of some militant anti-vivisection organisation. Sparks about to fly, you'd think.

The first couple of minutes when like this:

Anti-bloke, "We need to stop ALL animal testing."

Scientist, "Yes, you're absolutely correct."

Sparks = 0. The next half hour = nothing really happened.

Animal testing is, currently, a necessary evil that scientists want to stop doing.
    I know scientists are not evil, but unless we can find a way of circumventing the necessary evil it will still keep on happening. A necessary evil is still an evil. It's all well and good being regretful about it but that doesn't change anything.

You can argue with how nececcery these things actually are as well.

ReputationRep:
    Am I missing something? It's not sadistic torture if we can save lives with it.

ReputationRep:
    That is not at all logical. Something can be sadistic torture and have the end result of saving lives.
    I meant that it wasn't the main purpose. We already suffer from a shortage of organ donations.

ReputationRep:
    I meant that it wasn't the main purpose.
    That's irrelevant as to whether or not it induces suffering.

ReputationRep:
    That's irrelevant as to whether or not it induces suffering.
    It does but it's for a greater good ergo I personally think it can be somewhat justified.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.