Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Name ... a person dumber than the average koala.
    You've spent enough time on TSR, you know they exist in their droves.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    That's amazing :rofl:
    I love thoughty2

Spoiler:
    Show

"Fanks for the views, subscribe for more forty two"

ReputationRep:
    Name an animal smarter than Einstein, or a person dumber than the average koala.

Chimps have been shown to have a far greater short term memory than most humans barring a few savants. That makes them smarter at doing that than Einstein was.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    Agreed.

Our descendants will look back in horror at how we treat animals. It is obscene.
    That's weirdly progressive of you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I find the way human beings can love their cats, dogs and bunny rabbits yet happily murder and eat other animals, rather horrific.

Animals, like humans are capable of feeling emotion and showing affection. Like humans they love and protect their young.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    That speaks to a stereotype you seem to have that I am reactionary. (And the fact that you seem preternaturally concerned with my views. ). And/or perhaps a confusion inherent in the rebranding of a mishmash of "left wing " causes as "progressive."

I wish to see the House of Lords and Monarchy abolished. The only argument against both these things has always been the difficulty of agreeing what system would replace them. Is that progressive?

I would like the Public Schools to be all closed down (although I can't see how that would be done). Is it progressive to want to erode class privilege and the denial of equality of opportunity?

I am straight but think the prejudice that gay people still receive is appalling and that their right to marry was several decades late in coming. Is that reactionary?

And yes, I find mankind's exploitation of and extraordinary cruelty to animals morally abhorrent.

Remember that Hitler was a vegetarian :mmm:
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      That speaks to a stereotype you seem to have that I am reactionary. (And the fact that you seem preternaturally concerned with my views. ). And/or perhaps a confusion inherent in the rebranding of a mishmash of "left wing " causes as "progressive."

I wish to see the House of Lords and Monarchy abolished. The only argument against both these things has always been the difficulty of agreeing what system would replace them. Is that progressive?

I would like the Public Schools to be all closed down (although I can't see how that would be done). Is it progressive to want to erode class privilege and the denial of equality of opportunity?

I am straight but think the prejudice that gay people still receive is appalling and that their right to marry was several decades late in coming. Is that reactionary?

And yes, I find mankind's exploitation of and extraordinary cruelty to animals morally abhorrent.
      Wow I almost agree with all of that.
      Except abolishing the House of Lords which is an important check on the government.

You clearly are intelligent, so I'm even more surprised as to why you've been such a troll and wind up merchant recently.

You're argument that water boarding isn't torture, was one of the most ridiculous I've seen on here.

Wow I almost agree with all of that.
        Except abolishing the House of Lords which is an important check on the government.

You clearly are intelligent, so I'm even more surprised as to why you've been such a troll and wind up merchant recently.

You're argument that water boarding isn't torture, was one of the most ridiculous I've seen on here.
        He's "clearly intelligent" because he agrees with you? And he's a troll because he sometimes disagrees with you?
        • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
        He's "clearly intelligent" because he agrees with you? And he's a troll because he sometimes disagrees with you?
        Intelligent because of nuanced positions. Troll because he's made numerous threads/posts goading others and trying to wind them up.

ReputationRep:
        I find the way human beings can love their cats, dogs and bunny rabbits yet happily murder and eat other animals, rather horrific.

Animals, like humans are capable of feeling emotion and showing affection. Like humans they love and protect their young.
        It's not really that horrific, people don't form bonds to farm animals tens and hundreds of miles away. Would you rather kill someone on a different continent or your own child?

Regardless, if the animals are killed instantly, and humanely I don't see the problem.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by h3rmit)

Regardless, if the animals are killed instantly, and humanely I don't see the problem.
        They aren't. You should go and visit an abattoir, it would turn you into a vegan on the spot.

And this country has higher standards than just about any other.

Medical research is more problematic. But some of that is of dubious worth too. As for fox hunting and beagling, don't get me started.

ReputationRep:
        They aren't. You should go and visit an abattoir, it would turn you into a vegan on the spot.

And this country has higher standards than just about any other.

Medical research is more problematic. But some of that is of dubious worth too. As for fox hunting and beagling, don't get me started.
        Admittedly, I've never been to an abattoir but if the animals are stunned before killing it can't be that bad.

Medical research I generally agree with, with use first on human cells and tissue.

Fox hunting and beagling are pretty needlessly cruel

ReputationRep:
        In terms of being the worst animal, evolutionary, we are the most successful animal. We have the most control over everything, we can completely change the earth - something only few organisms have done before (e.g. Bacteria changing the composition of the earths atmosphere).

In fact, we are so successful that we now control the course of evolution. Arguably, this is the aim of evolution - to make the most successful animal on earth that can pass its genes and DNA onto our offspring. I think we are successful in that as we can pass our best genes artificially. If that is the aim of evolution then why is it wrong?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
        "Scientists have created a human-pig hybrid in a milestone study that raises the prospect of being able to grow human organs inside animals for use in transplants."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e_iOSApp_Other

No other species has anything on us when it comes to inflicting misery.
        Am I missing something? It's not sadistic torture if we can save lives with it.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
        Please show me the other animal that factory farms its food
        Leafcutter ants.

(just in case you don't know... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH3KYBMpxOU)

I remember a debate on radio 4 in which the some bloke, who was the top man in some animal testing lab, debated with the main man of some militant anti-vivisection organisation. Sparks about to fly, you'd think.

The first couple of minutes when like this:

Anti-bloke, "We need to stop ALL animal testing."

Scientist, "Yes, you're absolutely correct."

Sparks = 0. The next half hour = nothing really happened.

Animal testing is, currently, a necessary evil that scientists want to stop doing.

ReputationRep:
        Admittedly, I've never been to an abattoir but if the animals are stunned before killing it can't be that bad.

Medical research I generally agree with, with use first on human cells and tissue.

Fox hunting and beagling are pretty needlessly cruel
        What if it interferes with farming?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Cherub012)
        What if it interferes with farming?
        Not ideal, but not terrible. I was thinking more along the lines of recreation.

ReputationRep:
        Not ideal, but not terrible. I was thinking more along the lines of recreation.
        Yeah, trophy hunting is disgusting.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Cherub012)
        It's not sadistic torture if we can save lives with it.
        That is not at all logical. Something can be sadistic torture and have the end result of saving lives.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.