Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Leafcutter ants.

(just in case you don't know... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH3KYBMpxOU)

I remember a debate on radio 4 in which the some bloke, who was the top man in some animal testing lab, debated with the main man of some militant anti-vivisection organisation. Sparks about to fly, you'd think.

The first couple of minutes when like this:

Anti-bloke, "We need to stop ALL animal testing."

Scientist, "Yes, you're absolutely correct."

Sparks = 0. The next half hour = nothing really happened.

Animal testing is, currently, a necessary evil that scientists want to stop doing.
    I know scientists are not evil, but unless we can find a way of circumventing the necessary evil it will still keep on happening. A necessary evil is still an evil. It's all well and good being regretful about it but that doesn't change anything.

You can argue with how nececcery these things actually are as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub012)
    Am I missing something? It's not sadistic torture if we can save lives with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    That is not at all logical. Something can be sadistic torture and have the end result of saving lives.
    I meant that it wasn't the main purpose. We already suffer from a shortage of organ donations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub012)
    I meant that it wasn't the main purpose.
    That's irrelevant as to whether or not it induces suffering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    That's irrelevant as to whether or not it induces suffering.
    It does but it's for a greater good ergo I personally think it can be somewhat justified.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.