The Student Room Group

HELPP

Does it go against the law to still be enrolled at a college but work from home? The only reason I ask is because of the working space at my college I struggle to work in. Too many distractions and an overall feeling of loneliness due to loss of friends. There are also many underlying stresses I am struggling with but also the medical condition; photophobia. I have tried to change my surroundings so it hurts less but the lights and boards and projectors still hurt to see and I get told to take off my tinted glasses when I try to help myself. Another factor in this is the fact I am not learning in my only academic subject and I have learnt more at home with my own, relevant exam board resources. If I still attend exams, tests and go in to hand stuff in for marking but work at home should that be ok with my school?
Original post by AshTredwell
Does it go against the law to still be enrolled at a college but work from home? The only reason I ask is because of the working space at my college I struggle to work in. Too many distractions and an overall feeling of loneliness due to loss of friends. There are also many underlying stresses I am struggling with but also the medical condition; photophobia. I have tried to change my surroundings so it hurts less but the lights and boards and projectors still hurt to see and I get told to take off my tinted glasses when I try to help myself. Another factor in this is the fact I am not learning in my only academic subject and I have learnt more at home with my own, relevant exam board resources. If I still attend exams, tests and go in to hand stuff in for marking but work at home should that be ok with my school?

The one thing I would say, apart from communicating with your school about everything, is to definitely talk to them about photophobia. It actually angers me a bit that they are telling you to take off your tinted glasses, but maybe that's because they just don't know about your condition and would let you do it if they were aware?

I also fear that if you are not in for a certain number of hours each week you would have to pay for your own exams and stuff, I think that was the case at my school but not 100% on this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by AshTredwell

It's up to your school. They will have policies about this kind of thing, otherwise nobody would ever attend any lessons. You need to make sure you explain your medical condition, and take any proof possible (medical notes, lists of any adaptations such as the glasses you've tried etc). Because of your disability they need to make reasonable adjustments, but it's up to them whether they decide working from home is reasonable or if they think that something else may be more reasonable.

Quick Reply

Latest