Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recruitment agency want me to do pick ups?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I currently work part time behind a bar, 20-27 hours per week. So i decided to go to recruitment agencies to try and get extra work.
    I signed up with an agency that offered me work next week, but there's a catch, because I drive. They want me to pick up other members of staff.

They offer petrol for transport to the site, but not for the extra miles I would use to pick up other staff, and the pick up point is not on route to the job site which means I have to add extra miles to the journey and leave my house an hour earlier to pick people up.

I'm not particularly happy about this and feel it is a little cheeky, when I signed up nothing was said about them needing a member of staff to give lifts, and they waited until they offered me work to tell me I would also be the 'pick up' person.

My insurance doesn't cover business purposes and I drive a V reg Nissan Micra which I'm in the process of preparing for a road trip around Europe so right now I've been using my car less to avoid wear and tear on the vehicle.

What are your opinions on this? Should I be okay with giving lifts? I don't get paid extra for the time. But they already assumed i would be okay with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcgreevy1993)
    Hi everyone,

I currently work part time behind a bar, 20-27 hours per week. So i decided to go to recruitment agencies to try and get extra work.
    I signed up with an agency that offered me work next week, but there's a catch, because I drive. They want me to pick up other members of staff.

They offer petrol for transport to the site, but not for the extra miles I would use to pick up other staff, and the pick up point is not on route to the job site which means I have to add extra miles to the journey and leave my house an hour earlier to pick people up.

I'm not particularly happy about this and feel it is a little cheeky, when I signed up nothing was said about them needing a member of staff to give lifts, and they waited until they offered me work to tell me I would also be the 'pick up' person.

My insurance doesn't cover business purposes and I drive a V reg Nissan Micra which I'm in the process of preparing for a road trip around Europe so right now I've been using my car less to avoid wear and tear on the vehicle.

What are your opinions on this? Should I be okay with giving lifts? I don't get paid extra for the time. But they already assumed i would be okay with it.
    Yes, the crappy recruitment agency is trying to get a freebie out of you, typical. Personally, I'd kick up a fuss, but I'm that sort of person. If you want to make it clear that you're not going to be doing it but want to keep them sweet, I'd go down the insurance route - say that you've checked with your insurers and they wouldn't cover this sort of usage, so you've got to decline their request. That way you won't look like you're being *****y or anything, and they should keep the work open Mind you, they should never have asked in the first place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Yes, the crappy recruitment agency is trying to get a freebie out of you, typical. Personally, I'd kick up a fuss, but I'm that sort of person. If you want to make it clear that you're not going to be doing it but want to keep them sweet, I'd go down the insurance route - say that you've checked with your insurers and they wouldn't cover this sort of usage, so you've got to decline their request. That way you won't look like you're being *****y or anything, and they should keep the work open Mind you, they should never have asked in the first place!
    I'm not really bothered about keeping them sweet. Tbh it speaks volumes to me about a company when they behave this way and I don't want to be taken for a ride when I've only got 5 weeks left til my road trip.

I just wanted opinions really, as I did see it as a bit of a joke. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to give friends lifts after work in the bar if we're on a close - BUT I don't even know these people and it'll be everyday!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd tell them to take a long walk off a short pier, but I guess it depends on how much you want the job.

They're essentially trying to get you to work for free though, whilst committing minor insurance fraud unless you fork out for business cover. Hopefully you're worth more than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcgreevy1993)
    I'm not really bothered about keeping them sweet. Tbh it speaks volumes to me about a company when they behave this way and I don't want to be taken for a ride when I've only got 5 weeks left til my road trip.

I just wanted opinions really, as I did see it as a bit of a joke. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to give friends lifts after work in the bar if we're on a close - BUT I don't even know these people and it'll be everyday!
    Well exactly - and if you're not bothered about the work then I'd very much tell them this. It's entirely inappropriate and clearly designed to take advantage of people's fear of saying 'no' in case they lose the work - in this way it seems bullying to me. They can bloody well pay for a minibus or lay on something proper, rather than trying to take advantage of their employees like this.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.