Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there! I'm coming to Teesside to study computer games programming in September and I'm incredibly excited!

Because of the fact that I am a mature student and will be getting the maximum maintenance loan which is £8,430 I am wondering how much of that will last me throughout the year.

I will be living on campus all year round so that'll be roughly £4,250 so I'll most likely have £4,000 a year to spend on living costs.

From your experience, is this easily doable? Thank you so much in advance.

ReputationRep:
    It's never 'easy' - but most seem to achieve it, usually with a bit of part-time work to help. I think some extra funds are essential in your case because you're staying there all year round - if you were going home it makes it much more achievable. However, you are suggesting that after your rend is paid, you can manage on £333 a month for everything else. I personally think this is quite impossible, but I'm sure there'll be people who say they managed on £10 a week for years!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    It's never 'easy' - but most seem to achieve it, usually with a bit of part-time work to help. I think some extra funds are essential in your case because you're staying there all year round - if you were going home it makes it much more achievable. However, you are suggesting that after your rend is paid, you can manage on £333 a month for everything else. I personally think this is quite impossible, but I'm sure there'll be people who say they managed on £10 a week for years!
    Really? Surviving on £333 a month doesn't sound that hard. I am currently renting my own place now and spend roughly £15/20 a week on food and might go out twice a month and that'll be roughly £30 each time.

What kind of budgeting were you considering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BonBons123)
    Really? Surviving on £333 a month doesn't sound that hard. I am currently renting my own place now and spend roughly £15/20 a week on food and might go out twice a month and that'll be roughly £30 each time.

What kind of budgeting were you considering?
    Well done to you, but most people spend more than £15 a week on food and go out more than twice a month! For me, that would be quite a miserable existence, though I appreciate that people are different. The OP's question was whether it was 'easily doable' and my opinion of this remains 'no'. If the OP was prepared to do without any sort of luxuries or nice things, then sure: £333 a month is possible. It's just not very pleasant!

ReputationRep:
    Well done to you, but most people spend more than £15 a week on food and go out more than twice a month! For me, that would be quite a miserable existence, though I appreciate that people are different. The OP's question was whether it was 'easily doable' and my opinion of this remains 'no'. If the OP was prepared to do without any sort of luxuries or nice things, then sure: £333 a month is possible. It's just not very pleasant!
    Well, I'm not entirely sure what your attempting to prove here with the manner in which you are speaking but ok.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hello there! I'm coming to Teesside to study computer games programming in September and I'm incredibly excited!

Because of the fact that I am a mature student and will be getting the maximum maintenance loan which is £8,430 I am wondering how much of that will last me throughout the year.

I will be living on campus all year round so that'll be roughly £4,250 so I'll most likely have £4,000 a year to spend on living costs.

From your experience, is this easily doable? Thank you so much in advance.

Hello we're looking forward to having you join us in September!

It's brilliant that you're starting to think about your budget. You've prompted us to share some of our top budgeting tips in this forum - watch this space, we'll post in a couple of days.

In the meantime you might find this page useful to help you direct your planning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tees Uni)
    Hello we're looking forward to having you join us in September!

It's brilliant that you're starting to think about your budget. You've prompted us to share some of our top budgeting tips in this forum - watch this space, we'll post in a couple of days.

In the meantime you might find this page useful to help you direct your planning.

Awesome, thank you so much!

ReputationRep:

Pretty much anyone can have a comfortable life off of £76 per week as a student, if you spend £25 on food you still have £51 per week to do whatever you want with, you can still have nice things for sure
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, thank you so much!
    Hello again

You might have noticed that it's student money week on The Student Room! If you click through from TSR home page you'll find loads of info on student money matters. Hope it helps.

You can also find our top budgeting tips in this forum - just posted this morning - check it out here.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.