Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been reading up on Open University and it seems quite a lot of people have been confused about the whole 'loan' situation and what they are entitled to. I understand that i am entitled to the tuition loan for the course itself.. but i have also read that from 2018 part time uni will be offering maintenance loans?
    Having also read that you are able to apply for the maintenance loan later than the tuition one i was wondering if i started the course in September-October 2017 would this leave me time to apply for a maintenance loan when they become available?
    For me personally i feel it would be rather beneficial as my mum is unable to help me out financially in any way and by doing this course i will have to cut down my working hours.
    This is really something i want to do but just want opinions from others.
    Would i have to wait to start the course another whole year to be eligible??
    Thank you for any feedback in advance xx
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlo23)
    I have been reading up on Open University and it seems quite a lot of people have been confused about the whole 'loan' situation and what they are entitled to. I understand that i am entitled to the tuition loan for the course itself.. but i have also read that from 2018 part time uni will be offering maintenance loans?
    Having also read that you are able to apply for the maintenance loan later than the tuition one i was wondering if i started the course in September-October 2017 would this leave me time to apply for a maintenance loan when they become available?
    For me personally i feel it would be rather beneficial as my mum is unable to help me out financially in any way and by doing this course i will have to cut down my working hours.
    This is really something i want to do but just want opinions from others.
    Would i have to wait to start the course another whole year to be eligible??
    Thank you for any feedback in advance xx
    The maintenance loan is still in discussions, so nobody knows yet - it might not even happen. If you do start your degree now, don't rely on getting the maintenance loan in future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.