Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to get rid of one of my choices (long story not worth explaining - irrelevant) and was wondering if someone could give me any advice or thoughts? I've unfortunately only been able to visit LSE so I've been struggling.

I'd like to go to a university with a solid reputation, and I believe that domestically all my options fulfil that criteria - although I do think that LSE has a bit of an edge. However, I also haven't ruled out a career internationally and feel like it might be important to have a university with international reputation especially post-Brexit (this may be unfounded as I've heard international opportunities are more likely to first come from a domestic employer rather than directly - not sure). Regardless, I'm not sure if Warwick is really 'well-known' internationally.

However, at the same time, I'd also like to enjoy the university experience and this is where I'm not as sure about the London unis. LSE seems to have a reputation in particular for a really intense workload and anti-social environment. I've heard that UCL tends to be more social and that the workload doesn't tend to be quite as oppressive socially. However, I'm not sure if these disparities are as clear cut as people say

In contrast, I think that Warwick would probably be a better fit for me socially. I like the idea of a campus and the associated community, getting involved in societies, the ability to go to clubs that are sort of crap but serviceable and won't cost you an arm and a leg. At the same time, I'm sure this is accessible to some degree at London unis?

As a final brief aside, do people think there is a major difference between Warwick and Durham i.e. are they so similar that I should get rid of one or the other? I've highlighted the campus as quite a unique selling point for Warwick but not sure if I've over-estimated it's importance.

As you can probably tell, I'm going round in circles in my head, so would be grateful to hear any personal insights or advice! Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Natalie1315)
    I need to get rid of one of my choices (long story not worth explaining - irrelevant) and was wondering if someone could give me any advice or thoughts? I've unfortunately only been able to visit LSE so I've been struggling.

I'd like to go to a university with a solid reputation, and I believe that domestically all my options fulfil that criteria - although I do think that LSE has a bit of an edge. However, I also haven't ruled out a career internationally and feel like it might be important to have a university with international reputation especially post-Brexit (this may be unfounded as I've heard international opportunities are more likely to first come from a domestic employer rather than directly - not sure). Regardless, I'm not sure if Warwick is really 'well-known' internationally.

However, at the same time, I'd also like to enjoy the university experience and this is where I'm not as sure about the London unis. LSE seems to have a reputation in particular for a really intense workload and anti-social environment. I've heard that UCL tends to be more social and that the workload doesn't tend to be quite as oppressive socially. However, I'm not sure if these disparities are as clear cut as people say

In contrast, I think that Warwick would probably be a better fit for me socially. I like the idea of a campus and the associated community, getting involved in societies, the ability to go to clubs that are sort of crap but serviceable and won't cost you an arm and a leg. At the same time, I'm sure this is accessible to some degree at London unis?

As a final brief aside, do people think there is a major difference between Warwick and Durham i.e. are they so similar that I should get rid of one or the other? I've highlighted the campus as quite a unique selling point for Warwick but not sure if I've over-estimated it's importance.

As you can probably tell, I'm going round in circles in my head, so would be grateful to hear any personal insights or advice! Thanks!
    It'[s difficult to advise you without you explaining what point in the application cycle you're at.

If you've yet to apply then you've missed the deadlines for 2017 entry so would be applying for Autumn 2018.

If you've applied then the deadline for deciding on your firm choice is May at the earliest so again the urgency doesn't seem warranted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It'[s difficult to advise you without you explaining what point in the application cycle you're at.

If you've yet to apply then you've missed the deadlines for 2017 entry so would be applying for Autumn 2018.

If you've applied then the deadline for deciding on your firm choice is May at the earliest so again the urgency doesn't seem warranted.
    Essentially, I have already applied to all of these universities but now need to swap a choice for a local uni for personal 'just in case' reasons who have said to me that they would accept my application after the deadline. The deadline for swapping choices for me is today.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Essentially, I have already applied to all of these universities but now need to swap a choice for a local uni for personal 'just in case' reasons who have said to me that they would accept my application after the deadline. The deadline for swapping choices for me is today.
    I see

In that case reading what you've said I would suggest you're looking for someone to agree with you that LSE is least likely to suit you.

From what you're saying it does sound like the competitive and not very social tendency for LSE isn't what you're looking for from a university. LSE isn't going to offer you any opportunities that you couldn't get from UCL or Warwick (but at both you're more likely to find the learning environment and social side of things a bit more enjoyable).

An LSE degree that you've either dropped out of or not done as well as you could because you were unhappy is definitely not a better bet than a degree from somewhere that suits your learning and living style better.

If you're interested in a legal career then http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/whe...d-universities is quite useful for getting an idea which universities graduates got the most training contracts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I see

In that case reading what you've said I would suggest you're looking for someone to agree with you that LSE is least likely to suit you.

From what you're saying it does sound like the competitive and not very social tendency for LSE isn't what you're looking for from a university. LSE isn't going to offer you any opportunities that you couldn't get from UCL or Warwick (but at both you're more likely to find the learning environment and social side of things a bit more enjoyable).

An LSE degree that you've either dropped out of or not done as well as you could because you were unhappy is definitely not a better bet than a degree from somewhere that suits your learning and living style better.

If you're interested in a legal career then http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/whe...d-universities is quite useful for getting an idea which universities graduates got the most training contracts
    Hey - thanks for the response.

I actually hadn't intended to put across that impression in my post, but perhaps I had a subconscious bias or something. I was actually somewhat hoping that someone would tell me that UCL was similarly intense/high-workload as LSE, so that I could easily choose one based more on reputation, and the other on the inkling that I might prefer a campus based experience (unfortunately, I haven't been able to visit the universities minus LSE). I suppose I just struggle to to appreciate how UCL can be so much less intense and more social given both UCL and LSE are well-regarded unis in London.

However, I certainly appreciate what you're saying regarding having a bad degree from LSE will never beat a 2.1 or first from Warwick or UCL, and that being happy is the best foot forward for a good degree.

The stats from chambersstudent are interesting and don't seem to show much of a major gap, although I do wonder if LSE would be more prominent if the data took account for institution size (unless it does and I missed that).

Thanks again!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Hey - thanks for the response.

I actually hadn't intended to put across that impression in my post, but perhaps I had a subconscious bias or something. I was actually somewhat hoping that someone would tell me that UCL was similarly intense/high-workload as LSE, so that I could easily choose one based more on reputation, and the other on the inkling that I might prefer a campus based experience (unfortunately, I haven't been able to visit the universities minus LSE). I suppose I just struggle to to appreciate how UCL can be so much less intense and more social given both UCL and LSE are well-regarded unis in London.

However, I certainly appreciate what you're saying regarding having a bad degree from LSE will never beat a 2.1 or first from Warwick or UCL, and that being happy is the best foot forward for a good degree.

The stats from chambersstudent are interesting and don't seem to show much of a major gap, although I do wonder if LSE would be more prominent if the data took account for institution size (unless it does and I missed that).

Thanks again!
    I think what it boils down to is that it's fine to go on your gut instincts at this point - you're not going to be at a significant advantage at any of these three due to reputation so the key is to make a decision based on where you think you'd be least happy.

So based on what you're saying that boils down to UCL or LSE.

Have you had a look at some student reviews
    eg
    http://university.which.co.uk/univer...-of-london-u80
    http://university.which.co.uk/london...-of-london-l72
    (in the "What students say about this university" section filter to show "English Law" )

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...3927674&review
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...3927674&review
    (although I'm pretty sure these aren't just reviews from Law students)

Getting in touch with the law societies for each uni on facebook might get you some quick info on what's good and bad about the different courses/universities
    https://www.facebook.com/lsesulawsociety/
    https://www.facebook.com/ucllawsoc/
    (UCL law soc also produce this which might be helpful in getting a feel for the place) http://www.ucllawsociety.co.uk/prospectus.php

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.