Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm currently studying for my History A- Level. I should be taking my year 13 exam this summer. I had a lot of trouble with the course last year and struggled a lot with the structure of the questions. Does anyone have any tips and tricks that has really helped them? I'm looking for any advice around the subject as i need a good grade to get to University.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Which Strand are you doing? I'm doing Germany and West Germany 1918 to 1989, RIse of Fascism in Italy and rebellion and disorder under the Tudors.

I'd definitely recommend looking through the specification and how the exam will be structured.
    I've made notes on everything and am going to organise them to fit the exams.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I'm not a very descriptive person😂 I'm doing edexcel history where we did America and South Africa in year 12. Now we are doing Britain and the welfare state. I've tried looking for the spec but I get confused because there is like 3 different ones!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mills6179)
    Sorry I'm not a very descriptive person😂 I'm doing edexcel history where we did America and South Africa in year 12. Now we are doing Britain and the welfare state. I've tried looking for the spec but I get confused because there is like 3 different ones!
    Think this is it:
    http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...015_A_HIST.pdf

ReputationRep:
    I've seen this before I wasn't quite sure if it was the correct one😊 Thank you👌🏻

ReputationRep:
    Any advice on exam technique - especially sources and getting the level 5 band? I feel this is the only way I can be guaranteed an A because at the moment my essays range anywhere between 17/20 and 12/20

ReputationRep:
    i feel like the entire exam is based on structure (of which I'm lacking) 😂😂
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchNerd2)
    Any advice on exam technique - especially sources and getting the level 5 band? I feel this is the only way I can be guaranteed an A because at the moment my essays range anywhere between 17/20 and 12/20
    17/20 is an A they aren't bad scores. Doing well on your coursework will definitely help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hurricaneellin)
    17/20 is an A they aren't bad scores. Doing well on your coursework will definitely help
    The thing is my teacher's feedback is so erratic I have no idea how I even got that mark.

ReputationRep:
    I know they are not allowed to help with the coursework, it would just be useful if my teacher could say more when she gives me feedback. It would help so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mills6179)
    I know they are not allowed to help with the coursework, it would just be useful if my teacher could say more when she gives me feedback. It would help so much!
    Hi guys,
    How are you all revising for the exams? As i find the British book very useful, whereas the SA and the USA huge textbook has too much irelevant information in it. This is going to be a very hard course to do well in due to it being the new spec. My essays range from 14/20 to anything up to 18/20, however, i feel that when i write a 14/20 essay it is exactly the same as an 18/20. Any revision tips or guides would be useful, as my school is making us go on the huge textbook which certainly over hypes the whole units.
    Cheers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.