The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FortitudeBank
Interest rates.

Maybe, but I would be very careful. You should show passion about your subject in the first place. If you speak about your choices in France they are definitely going to reject you. Show your passion for chemistry and make them believe (whether it is true or not) that Imperial is your #1 and unique choice. After all, it is better to have an offer even if you will not accept it.

Original post by Kyber Ninja
Do not bring up anything other than chemistry at your interview. ~30% of people do get rejected post interview - so it's very much possible - be careful!

I will be really careful then, thank you for your advise !
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
For everyone's information,

For Oxford,

MAT 2016 Averages
All Applicants: 50.6
Shortlisted (for interview) applicants: 66.7
Applicants given a place: 73.1

MAT 2017 Averages
All Applicants: 51.3
Shortlisted applicants: 68.7
Applicants given a place: 73.6

It seems that MAT 2017 was easier than MAT 2016, but (at least) in my opinion it was far from easier. Correlation doesn't imply causation!

Also, since this is an Imperial Thread, last year's quartiles for MAT were

All Applicants: 40-53-69
Place Applicants: 59-69-77
Applicants with Offers: 62-71-82

I'm not too sure what place applicants means, but it is reasonable to assume that the median of Imperial offer holders this year is at least 71 again.

Good luck all!
Original post by CWUKapps

For Oxford,

MAT 2016 Averages

MAT 2017 Averages

It seems that MAT 2017 was easier than MAT 2016, but (at least) in my opinion it was far from easier. Correlation doesn't imply causation!

I'm not too sure what place applicants means, but it is reasonable to assume that the median of Imperial offer holders this year is at least 71 again.

Good luck all!

Place applicant refers to those who accept their offer and actually go to imperial. I presume the reason for it being slightly lower is that the most able applicants will have gone to Oxford instead.
Original post by Nagromicous
Place applicant refers to those who accept their offer and actually go to imperial. I presume the reason for it being slightly lower is that the most able applicants will have gone to Oxford instead.

Or cambridge.
s and ms and
Original post by bendent1234
Hey guys, I'm starting a thread for 2018 Applicants as I don't believe there is one

I will be applying for MEng Computing (Artificial Intelligence)

GCSEs:
4A*, 6As, 1B

FSMQ:
Add Maths: A

Currently studying:
Maths (Edexcel)
Further Maths (Edexcel)
Computer Science (OCR)
French (AQA)

AS Predictions:
AA (M/FM)

How is Further Maths for a-level? Is it extremely hard? Is it harder than French? Do you regret choosing it? How are the exam and do you regret choosing it?
Original post by CWUKapps

For Oxford,

MAT 2016 Averages

MAT 2017 Averages

Good luck all!

The median would be 69. Those figures are expressed as quartile percentiles i.e. 25%, 50%, 75% etc

Placed applicants are Imperial students
Original post by amypops
s and ms and

How is Further Maths for a-level? Is it extremely hard? Is it harder than French? Do you regret choosing it? How are the exam and do you regret choosing it?

Most people get a) either the same grade as Maths A Level or b) one grade lower.

So you'll be fine if you're doing well at Maths A Level
Have any Medical Biosciences people been rejected yet, if you don't mind me asking? I know that quite a few got offers in December but I was wondering if Imperial has sent any rejections yet
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Most people get a) either the same grade as Maths A Level or b) one grade lower.

So you'll be fine if you're doing well at Maths A Level

do you do fm for alevel?
if so tell me how it is
Original post by amypops
do you do fm for alevel?
if so tell me how it is

I do FM A level. It's harder than regular maths but not by much. It will probably put you at an advantage for maths as well.
Original post by amypops
do you do fm for alevel?
if so tell me how it is

If you're good at normal maths, you'll be good at further maths.
?t?lt
Original post by Nagromicous
I do FM A level. It's harder than regular maths but not by much. It will probably put you at an advantage for maths as well.

Do you enjoy it? Are the exams extremely difficult? How is it compared it your other a-levels?
Hardest or easier?
Original post by k92e67
Thinking of applying to Maths and Computer Science

Achieved A2: A*AA in maths physics ICT and predicted A*A* in Further maths and further additional maths.
AS: AABC
GCSEs: A*AAAAABBBB

do I even stand a shot? Everyone seems to have like 5 A*s...

Very much doubt it.
Original post by amypops
?t?lt

Do you enjoy it? Are the exams extremely difficult? How is it compared it your other a-levels?
Hardest or easier?

Yes, I do enjoy it. It's more interesting than A-level Maths. The exams are not especially difficult. It's more that it's just new content that is based on slightly more difficult concepts. Compared to Chemistry and Physics I would say that it is easier in that the exams require next to no revision (As opposed to chem and phys that require memorising a bunch of stuff). However, FM is generally harder to understand first time round. If you're naturally good at maths, it's a nice easy A-level.
Original post by FortitudeBank
You also need to take into account 3% IR.

I have no idea for the master/undergraduate thing tbh.

By the way, could you tell me where you see the IR ?
I though it was a loan without IR. That's why I though it was interesting.
So how does it work ? My 32 000 will become 32960 after a year ?

Moreover, the article you gave me saying I would earn more than 40.000
but for which undergraduate(s) ? Engineering one(s) ?
Any biochem offers??
Any maths offers?
Hey guys I've just gotten an interview offer from Imperial for MEng Biomedical Engineering! Anyone else in the same boat? I sent in my application in early December, so I'm glad they replied this early on! How high are my chances of getting an offer past the interview stage?
Original post by IDDIN
Not sure if anyone have replied to this but I got a reply from Imperial two days ago for mech eng. And I also applied in October. I'm guessing they've just started to give out the offers for engineering faculty so don't worry too much. Maybe you can try to wait for a few more days and email them if you still haven't gotten your reply. I'm international btw. I think the eu/uk have to sit for interview(?) I'm not sure but from the offer they sent, there was no mention of interview for me

I got my offer for mech eng about a week ago - 16th I believe, but thnx.
Original post by Narish
I got my offer for mech eng about a week ago - 16th I believe, but thnx.

Hi did you have to go for interview ? How was the interview ?

Latest

Trending

Trending