Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am taking Chemistry HL, and I am wondering which Option is easiest to do.

Can someone please tell me the nature of all the Options and what are the most difficult parts about them?

I am also taking Biology HL if it helps

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I take Chem HL too so yay. The chem syllabus has changed a bit recently (including options) so the 4 new options are:
    Option A: Materials - DO NOT TAKE MATERIALS unless you're planning to go into materials science or engineering as it is very broad, lot to memorize and very random in terms of topics covered. Since this is also a completely new option not that related to previous options, it is hard to find resources. But if you're reallyyyyy interested in topics like nanotechnology, polymers and what things around you are made of, then there's no stopping you.

Option B: Biochemistry - Since you take Biology HL, this might be a good option for you. The mechanisms of photosynthesis, respiration and enzymes play an important role here and you have already learnt this in bio so its kind of a revision for the initial part. Its a good avenue for you to score also because of your advantage.

Option C: Energy - This is by far the easiest topic (at least for me) as it is part common sense, part physics chapter 8 energy production. Although it is not as interesting as the other topics, it is easy to get good grades as questions are pretty much straightforward. But because you don't take physics HL, you might have to think twice.

Option D: Medicinal Chemistry - Personally, I find this topic so interesting and also connected to what I want to do at uni, that I self studied this apart from studying energy for IB. It is true that it is quite intense but if you're interested in doing medicine or related studies, then this is the option for you. It covers drugs, structures of aspirin and opiates, antacids, antivirals, chiral auxiliaries and cancer medicines. Even though bio doesn't really help here, if you're strong in chem and buffer calculations, you should go for it.

Although your interest might lie in something, take into account other factors such as ease, grades, time and career. Spending too much time on a hard topic that you like which is not going to be of any use for your future might make you happy but will not be efficient. Besides, you could even study the option that you like as a second and include it in your personal statement as efforts you took to show interest in your preferred area of study. Whatever, you choose, do it carefully. Hope this helps. Cheers
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by Jude586)
    I am taking Chemistry HL, and I am wondering which Option is easiest to do.

Can someone please tell me the nature of all the Options and what are the most difficult parts about them?

I am also taking Biology HL if it helps

Thanks!
    Does your teacher not choose an Option to teach you?

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.